Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
Now there's a use for urban prairies right there. If this builds steam beyond 1-ounce quantities it could become a big part of that new diversified economy for which everyone's been searching. Imagine Detroit holding a local monopoly on that market. Cha-CHING!
The economic benefit of recreational or medicinal use is a drop in the bucket compared to the industrial reward for cultivating hemp. Hemp does not produce the same effect when smoked. It can however produce 11.5 tons of biomass fuel on acre of land in four months. You might be able to get 2 crops a season here, so 23 tons per acre per year. Since Detroit has 35,840 acres of empty land, we could be producing 824,320 tons of biomass fuel a year in just Detroit alone on land that is generally regarded as unfit for food production. Using the latest technology you can produce about 100 gallons of ethanol [[E85) fuel per ton which would equal about 82,432,000 gallons of fuel. This may seem insignificant compared to the average US consumption of 375 million gallons of fuel per day, but this influx of cheap fuel[[with taxes, about $1.25) in to SE Michigan would provide us with cheap, clean, and a sustainable energy forever.

Since I’ve been researching this, I’ve learned that my car can easily be converted to run on E85. You can’t have any rubber fuel lines[[which I don’t, all steel). And once you start burning E85 you have to richen the fuel mixture and maybe adjust your timing. I’m lucky to have a car that’s old enough to have MFI[[Mechanical Fuel Injection, something that came between the Carburetor and modern day EFI) which fuel enrichment is a twist of a screw. On newer cars you can buy a device that connects in between the fuel injector signal wires that will richen the fuel flow. The point I’m trying to make is, that you don’t have to go out and buy a new car to reap the benefit of industrial hemp farming in Detroit.