Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Start in Pontiac and build south to the river? You already have the right of way in the median strip of Woodward where the interurban used to go before the mayor of Detroit, James Couzens sabotaged it. That might get Oakland County on board early.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    the legislation authorizing a not-for profit to run the rail was signed into law in Jan '09. I don't think there is any other required legilsation
    There is a lot of legislation involved, the legislation to create the actual authority has not passed yet, and there is some doubt as to whether or not it will.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    There is a lot of legislation involved, the legislation to create the actual authority has not passed yet, and there is some doubt as to whether or not it will.
    There's no doubt, it definitely won't pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    There's no doubt, it definitely won't pass.
    You don't know that. You do realize the M-1 rail will be constructed, right? It is fully financed.

This was found on the Model D website interview with Matt Cullen on March 16,2010.

They are working on an Environmental Impact Statement [[EIS) with the Feds to make sure that everything is handled properly, so we're working with them on that basis, and the state received some TIGER grant money to to help on that project.
    The city and all of us are looking at us using this initial investment as matching dollars for the second phase, which will take [[the rail line) out to Eight Mile. To use it as the match, we have to look at the project holistically, first with the EIS, and demonstrate to the Feds that this is a viable project, and so much private money will really help that process.

MD: What is the absolute best case scenario for construction to begin on these two phases?
    Cullen: Well, best case scenario is that the EIS takes nine to 12 months, so we start construction at the end of 2011, build 2012, and we're operational in 2013. So get the EIS finished, then immediately construction. If this has worked really well up to the Boulevard, then the second phase [[will happen) in a couple more years, so in the 2014 range, the whole thing could be done.
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/M1031610.aspx
    Last edited by Warrenite84; May-13-10 at 11:39 PM.

In addition to the EIS,[[Environmental Impact Statement), the Regional Transit Authority has to be approved and empowered by Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, and Detroit. In addition to this, a referendum vote by residents to fund, [[taxes), the cost of running the RTA and operate the transit system.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Nice that the guy who promised this a year ago has moved on to a different job.

I'm going to just assume it won't happen any time soon. This way, when and if it does, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyc View Post
    ah...but the M1 is privately financed, no? Would seem to give one a leg up.
    I was thinking "completion" . the only part funded in Detroit's is phase one. Cincy will have 6 miles done long before anyone even talks about phase II here..and judging from the pace, likely before phase I is done. I mean how long until the next announcement of a delay...or more study...or more review of the plan on the M1 private portion. Weren't we supposed to be riding it by now?

I'm going to just assume it won't happen any time soon. This way, when and if it does, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Win-win.
    That pretty much sums up the attitude that will ensure this project never gets past phase one...if that ever even happens. By that I mean, the fact that failure is the expected result of virtually ANY project , so that any pitiful half measure that finally does make it to reality is celebrated as if it's some grand crowning achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Found this great film on Rethink Detroit dated february 15:

I checked to see if a link to this PBS documentary is on DetroitYes but didnt find it, so I'm posting it hoping some more folks get to see it. It's also a lot less dramatic than the stuff we are used to seeing about Detroit...

http://www.rethinkdetroit.org/2010/0...o-for-detroit/
    I've only made it through 3/4 of the documentary but I can only say that I think it is an excellent, excellent documentary of the history of transportation and Detroit's role as center-hub of the world. I think it also paints a picture of hope for Detroit's future, something she really needs right now. And, it shows the successes that Detroit has recently enjoyed. I really liked seeing Detroit hustling and bustling with street cars, cars, bikes, pedestrians all zipping along in the videos from the 40's and 50's.

I think the most dramatic for me was seeing how buildings which were built to follow the rail line along Woodward were torn down to build parking lots.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    This was found on the Model D website interview with Matt Cullen on March 16,2010.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/M1031610.aspx
    Was it not the private funders who said theyd put the project on the fast track for construction this year? Wasnt that why the state gov supported it over the public and transparent DTOGS plan? Looks like it doesnt matter now, beacause end of 2011 was the estimated date for construction anyway. The difference is that now private hands control the project and are free to ruin what was great about it. They are going to put it down the side, insted of the middle, of the street so it gets stuck in traffic. The thing is going to be so slow you can probably bike way faster. And we still have to wait just as long, for a shittier result. Who the hell is matt cullen anyway and who elected him? Not the people.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    That pretty much sums up the attitude that will ensure this project never gets past phase one...if that ever even happens. By that I mean, the fact that failure is the expected result of virtually ANY project , so that any pitiful half measure that finally does make it to reality is celebrated as if it's some grand crowning achievement.
    Well, given our track record, it's a way to stay sane. Don't get me wrong, I hope it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    It'll give both of us something to cheer about when we're old and in the nursing home. At least we'll know the nurses will have an easier time getting from Campus Martius to Grand Blvd. and back.

If the Kresge foundation plan makes sense and mayor Bing gets on board maybe with help from the feds, there will be mass transit schemes for Detroit and not only street rail. A vital component of contracting with the city should be the manufacturing and assembly of vehicles in the city. Since the city will need at least 5 billion to get a strong redo of bus lanes suburban rail and streetcars, this would help revitalize clusters from the start. The billions spent on stupid stuff like the war in Iraq in a week alone could rebuild a mass transit system for Detroit. Another week could be spent
    on Rehabbing most neighborhoods. It just isnt all that sexy I guess and it would demolish the mythical Hell that is Detroit.Not good for Hollywood, not good for whosoever needs to keep the gangbanger icon alive. When is Tom Cruise come and save the blacks from themselves?

For those who like Lincoln8740 think that this is just another ruse to get the suburbs to foot the bill, they cant they imagine a city that will thrive and contribute to the region's prosperity. This common sense they share because of their fear of Detroit is common to people the world over who Okay racial and economic segregation. They are shooting themselves in the foot big time. But in the meantime even cities with appalling conditions in Asia for instance or South America are spending massively on mass transit and infrastructure. It is really sad to see the common sense of Detroit's detractors point to its inability to provide when the whole situation rests on a regional solution. How can they not imagine that the automotive capital of the world bring about a revival? People made it happen a long time ago and with lesser means.
    But the detractors just dont want to se it happen.

The average person has no say in this. The rich come in and say we need light rail. For what?

What happened to the People Freaker ? mover? I remember when they were putting that together. And where are the people gonna go? Wall Street took people's money, it's hard to find work and light rail is going to solve something?

But hey, if rich people want to buy buildings and land around Masonic Temple for big money and then swear people to secrecy, go ahead, build that light rail for those projects you aren't telling anybody about. Any investment in Detroit is an investment.

And I'd like to know where they found that half a billion dollars to improve Henry Ford Hospital.

That 3 miles of light rail is just doing what buses do now, so why not put more money into making the buses better and greener? Why would a train be better than buses which can have their routes switched as the needs change? I'd rather see solar panels on buses than another People Mover.
    Last edited by maxx; May-16-10 at 07:35 AM.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    For those who like Lincoln8740 think that this is just another ruse to get the suburbs to foot the bill, they cant they imagine a city that will thrive and contribute to the region's prosperity. This common sense they share because of their fear of Detroit is common to people the world over who Okay racial and economic segregation. They are shooting themselves in the foot big time. .
    Why is it such an affront to actually have the City of Detroit pay for something by itself for something located entirely in the City[[for now).

Just once, I would like the city to say "here is an idea for our city and we are going to pay for it." Not the usual "here is an idea for our city and will you, the suburbs, pay for it?"

Again, if you want this project to move forward, the suburbs have to be convinced that they will get something out of it. You have to convince people that their tax dollars won't be swallowed by the black hole that is Detroit.

And believe me, it doesn't help to have people like that idiotic professor say "without lightrail the city is going to die!!!"

Maybe an idea to help this all along is to start the project from the opposite end of the spectrum [[Oakland county) which would show that light rail is beneficial and then maybe the suburbs would help pay for something in Detroit.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    And believe me, it doesn't help to have people like that idiotic professor say "without lightrail the city is going to die!!!"
    If you think Robin Boyle is "idiotic," that should be all anyone needs to know about your credibility [[not that you had any before).

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    If you think Robin Boyle is "idiotic," that should be all anyone needs to know about your credibility [[not that you had any before).
    If you think that scaring suburbanites is going to open up their pockets then good luck with that. For many people that live in the suburbs, Detroit is already dead and that notion will never change no matter how many elitist professors scream "we need lightrail!" from their segways .

I also love how an urban studies professor chooses to live in Birmingham--That is so rich its ridiculous!!!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    If you think that scaring suburbanites is going to open up their pockets then good luck with that. For many people that live in the suburbs, Detroit is already dead and that notion will never change no matter how many elitist professors scream "we need lightrail!" from their segways .

I also love how an urban studies professor chooses to live in Birmingham--That is so rich its ridiculous!!!
    I guess I should stop pointing out when people make themselves look stupid. It usually turns out to be willful rather than incidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Martin View Post
    The average person has no say in this. The rich come in and say we need light rail. For what?
    I remember attending many meetings the past two years run by SEMCOG, SMART, and DDOT about the plan to get better mass transit and being asked for input. Maybe you're just not looking and/or you don't have the connections, which the latter is not your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    That 3 miles of light rail is just doing what buses do now, so why not put more money into making the buses better and greener? Why would a train be better than buses which can have their routes switched as the needs change? I'd rather see solar panels on buses than another People Mover.
    Light rail has a much higher capacity than bus service. Having rails physically installed in the pavement also attracts more investment than simply being on a bus route, which can always change for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I guess I should stop pointing out when people make themselves look stupid. It usually turns out to be willful rather than incidental.
    Just ignore that idiotic troll.

neighbor Guest

Back to the original question of what will light rail do for Detroit?

Besides cost money? Nothing.

I haven't had a chance to drive down the Wood cooridor yet to see for myself, are there any signs of preliminary construction of M-1? If so, that would be a good sign, to actually see physical signs of the project. Thanx.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast