Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Greenfield's was up on Woodward, on the west side of the street. It's now the Vietnam Vets HQ...

On my way to work in Rivertown I used to love picking up a slice at that one pizza place on Jefferson. What was it called?

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    Greenfield's was up on Woodward, on the west side of the street. It's now the Vietnam Vets HQ...
    Didn't Greenfield's also have a really nice place out somewhere around Woodward and 15 mile?

I worked at University of Detroit School of Law from 1973-1996--here are my favorite lunch spots:

Cheap: REnaissance Deli--made sandwiches, subs and pizza. It was a dump, but it was near by, and they made decent sandwiches; Brothers Soul Food [[corner Jefferson & St. Antoine); Chin Tiki, they used to have a lunch buffet that was a couple of dollars; Ham Heaven,

Not so Cheap: Joe Muer's [[pretty much my absolute fav), Schweitzers, Ponchatrain Hotel--used to have a soup and salad bar.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    I worked at University of Detroit School of Law from 1973-1996--here are my favorite lunch spots:

Cheap: REnaissance Deli--made sandwiches, subs and pizza. It was a dump, but it was near by, and they made decent sandwiches; Brothers Soul Food [[corner Jefferson & St. Antoine); Chin Tiki, they used to have a lunch buffet that was a couple of dollars; Ham Heaven,

Not so Cheap: Joe Muer's [[pretty much my absolute fav), Schweitzers, Ponchatrain Hotel--used to have a soup and salad bar.
    I do have a few of these

Yes there was a Birmingham Greenfield's, I remember it being in the "island" between Hunter and Woodward, but that's a childhood memory...

Zitro: I collect match books too. I have all those also!

A couple of places that I went for dinner: Little Harry's, Top of the Ponch, Ponchatrain Winesellers, La Marmite. Yummers!

Hey, maybe somebody should tear down the IHOP and build a New Little Harry's...

I've mentioned them before, but few seem to remember the Quickee Cafeterias or Luigi's.

Jim's and The Money Tree were a little too hoity-toity but I went just to say I'd been. There was also a little hole in the wall bar & grille on the east side of Woodward south of Lafayette; can't remember the name of it..

The Dude Guest

Anybody remember the Rocking Chair Buttery on Randolph next to the county building? Talk about butter burgers, they used 2x as much butter on their burgers than Culver's.

The Buhl Cafe in the Buhl Bldg was a real 'big city' atmosphere in the heart of the financial district. Great whitefish and perch, the Maurice Salad, and generous pour's on the cocktails.
    The Sheik, Jacoby's [[when Ed Jacoby still owned it) The Kings Table [[[[First Natl Bldg) and Nicholson's on Woodward. One of the last old style haunts, Greenwich Time, on Cadillac Square still does homemade soups, great burgers and probably the best house made chicken salad and potato salad. They still cook up chicken breasts for the salad. I drive downtown to do bi weekly carry outs of the chicken and potato salads. The pot roast at Bea Evan's 500 Club on Larned was home cooking at it's best. The little French bistro in the dark basement, La Marmite was probably the best "new spot' in the 80's but who could ever forget the Pontchatrain Wine Cellars... often imitated but never matched in quality, service, atmosphere or consistancy. On the north end of downtown, the Mayfield Chop House was vintage 1920's decor and decent prime rib. Does anyone remember the other 'chop house' that was on Grand River between Times Square and Washington Blvd [[where Trolley Plaza was built) ??? And finally the Cedar's...on Columbia right behind the Fox Theatre stagehouse.
    Last edited by detroitbob; May-01-10 at 03:33 AM.

I guess the place I'm thinking of is either Foran's or Maverick's, or whatever was in one of those two locations in the mid-90s.

Cass1966 Guest

When I was going to Cass Tech, 1963-66, I remember going to lunch downtown at the Automat. The place had your food behind the little clear plastic doors, like the ones in modern vending machines today. You would put your money in the one you wanted and the door would open. You could get anything you wanted. It was a new idea at the time but it didn’t last long. I don’t remember where it was, maybe there was more then one. Anyone know?

During the early 80s I usually drank lunch at Sinbad's, Little Harry's, Carl's Chop House or Joe Muir's. If there was no booze involved [[rare occurrence) Brothers Barbecue [[with Jeanne's Sauce of the Islands) was a favorite.

I often went to lunch with my older sisters, who worked downtown. I remember going to Flaming Embers, Ham Heaven, Colonnade Cafeteria, the Money Tree and [[later) The Blue Nile in Trappers Alley.

I have a fond memory from Chin Tiki. My sisters took me there for my 12th birthday. I had the sweet and sour pork and a Shirley Temple. When I think about how much sugar had to be in that combo, I have to remind myself that I was 12!

Worked at the David Stott Bldg. in 1969, and One Woodward 1970-71. Used to do Checkers often, sometimes Jim's Garage, Top of the Pontch or Flame, & Schweitzers if a liquid lunch was the order of the day.

Of course then as now, Lafayette & American Coneys have been there forever.

I've got two questions about restaurants, both slightly out of the tread subject. Back in the '60's there was a very fancy restaurant at the top of the Mich Con Gas Bldg at the foot of Woodward. It was called The Top of the Flame. As a high school student, I could never afford it, but my brother worked there for a while. Also, on Woodward up around the Blvd, or slightly north, there was a nice little restaurant on the East side of the street. If I remember right, it was by an old Victorian house that sold pianos and organs.

I haven't lived in the area since the late '60's so does anybody remember these two eateries?

Mexican at Cadena's, Franks Bar for a Frank burger, club sandwich at The Bull Market, tuna sandwiches and ice tea at Shapiro's, soup and salad at Quickie's.

Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    I've got two questions about restaurants, both slightly out of the tread subject. Back in the '60's there was a very fancy restaurant at the top of the Mich Con Gas Bldg at the foot of Woodward. It was called The Top of the Flame. As a high school student, I could never afford it, but my brother worked there for a while. Also, on Woodward up around the Blvd, or slightly north, there was a nice little restaurant on the East side of the street. If I remember right, it was by an old Victorian house that sold pianos and organs.

I haven't lived in the area since the late '60's so does anybody remember these two eateries?
    Look at the post just above yours. I used to work at One Woodward....celebrated my 21st birthday at Top of the Flame. The guy looked at me funny when I gave him my ID for a free 21 drink...because I had been drinking in there for months with phoney ID. I worked in the floors below.

Would be Smiley Bros. Piano & Organs place up Woodward Ave probably....old Col. Hecker's house?
    [img]http://detroit1701.org/Graphics/HeckerHouse.JPG[/img]
    Not visualizing restaurant at the moment.

Cass 66, the Automat was on Grand Circus Park around the corner from Flaming Embers. I ate there a time or two myself. I think it closed in the early 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Look at the post just above yours. I used to work at One Woodward....celebrated my 21st birthday at Top of the Flame. The guy looked at me funny when I gave him my ID for a free 21 drink...because I had been drinking in there for months with phoney ID. I worked in the floors below.

Would be Smiley Bros. Piano & Organs place up Woodward Ave probably....old Col. Hecker's house?
    [img]http://detroit1701.org/Graphics/HeckerHouse.JPG[/img]
    Not visualizing restaurant at the moment.
    There was a little restaurant just north of the Museum of Art across from old Art Centre Hospital. I think it was called Cappy's. Mostly a lunch spot, IIRC, but good.
    Edit: It was also about a block south of Smiley Bros/Law office Victorian house.
    Last edited by jcole; May-01-10 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Additions

The restaurant next to Smiley Brothers, could it be either Z's or Mr. Mike's? I think Barbara Streisand sang at Mr. Mike's very early in her career.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I've mentioned them before, but few seem to remember the Quickee Cafeterias or Luigi's.
    Quickee's was famous for their great donuts, malts & shakes as well as their home cooked cafeteria style meals.

Many Cass Tech students hung out there and I believe there were 6 downtown locations. All very profitable.

I'm pretty sure there was more than one Automat. I mentioned those before too, but nobody remembered them at the time.

At least now I know I wasn't totally nuts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast