Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Amazing photo of Brewster-Douglas fire

http://yfrog.com/bagtiitj

Nice to see the city has its demo priorities in order with the Lafayette and Tiger Stadium over the gigantic, sprawling eyesores of the Packard and Brewster, eh?

Why don't you ask the Detroit Housing Commission what it's asking to sell those projects? I bet that you would find the Lee Plaza a steal.

Wow! I'm going to check out the damage today. Expect some pictures later on

I would expect the mathematics dictate what gets demoed and redeveloped.
    That Packard Plant will probably be there until the end of time. One can only imagine what it would cost to raze that area. The pollution clean up costs alone make that
    a scary proposition.
    The Tiger Stadium project is a location that could possibly get turned around.
    I'm sure the city wants to get it's biggest bang for the buck.

The entire area south of Wilkins bounded by I-75 and Beaubien needs to be leveled. It could be a great opportunity for redevelopment in an area that is virtually ignored by the City. At the least, it could be a vacant lot that doesn't catch on fire every 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    http://yfrog.com/bagtiitj

Nice to see the city has its demo priorities in order with the Lafayette and Tiger Stadium over the gigantic, sprawling eyesores of the Packard and Brewster, eh?
    At least Two of towers have already been torn down. The remaining towers were rehabbed comlpete with brand new windows. All within the last 10 years. Unfortunately the rehab didn't stick and the building regressed back to abandonded. Maybe you should ask the city why the rehabs of the public housing didn't stick.

This isn't a case of they didn't do anything. They did something and it went wrong somewhere along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Wow! I'm going to check out the damage today. Expect some pictures later on
    Wow DetroitZack,
    I am looking forward to your photos, wish I could get down there!

Thanks for posting this!

A minute or 2 after I was photographing there someone pulled up from tv20. It is obvious that this was arson. The 2 buildings that were on fire aren't close enough to eachother that one being on fire could catch the other.

LodgeDodger Guest

Zack, were you taking photos in the area around Piquette tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Zack, were you taking photos in the area around Piquette tonight?
    Nope, wasn't me.

The fire was intentionally set by crazy folks and 'I don't care people.' If they city can't tear it down, burn it down.

And before the fire.

[[Via this link.)

Wikipedia.

Retroit Guest

If I lived in Detroit and had to look at this schitt every day, I would accept arson as a perfectly acceptable method of ridding my neighborhood of abandoned eyesores.

As I've said before, Detroit could cheaply eliminate many abandoned [[non-historically- or architecturally-significant) buildings using the method of "controlled burns".

I remember driving through that area with my mom and my aunt on the way home from the Thanksgiving Parade back in 1983. It hasn't changed much, from what I recall. Back then, it was block after block after block of those boarded-up apartment buildings. There was a little burned-out church that had fallen down, but I'm sure that's gone now.

I just wish they'd tear this mess down - now! No fire fighter should be risking their lives putting out these fires again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    If I lived in Detroit and had to look at this schitt every day, I would accept arson as a perfectly acceptable method of ridding my neighborhood of abandoned eyesores.

As I've said before, Detroit could cheaply eliminate many abandoned [[non-historically- or architecturally-significant) buildings using the method of "controlled burns".

DetroitDad Guest

Default Habitat For Humanity

I walk/drive through that mess everyday on the way to work, there is a nice playground fenced off in there. You can drive through Brush Park and the projects without seeing anyone, there is little crime. No one is left. On the other side of Woodward Avenue you have the Cass Park area which is where the crime creeps out from. It's interesting living in what appears to be a post apocalyptic city, in the sense that these failed projects are what our society has left in it's wake, like a blight tsunami of suburban sprawl. This sprawl blight tsunami is at, oh, about Middlebelt or Merriman to the West now, and 9 Mile to the North. The cultural and logical city center has gone through the initial devastation, and was left vulnerable to future small storms and oil spills, while the Samaranites walk by indifferent to the ways of our societies.

It pains me to see my childhood stomping grounds becoming spent out wastelands [[Welcome to Wasteland, Westland... get it?) as well. These people don't care about the future, or their kids. They're lazy, and they live a life based on fear. These Locust people might as well leave. As for us that is left to deal with the aftermath, all hope is not lost! We can start over and rebuild a new society that is less wasteful and self destructive. Why can't we have nice city centers and subdivisions in Detroit? Why does everyone have to surround the city, with anything even remotely livable being out on what was once beautiful farm land at 23 Mile Road?

So, there is silver lining to our reputation, and let them laugh at us. Know they just don't get it. We should not be invading and destroying everything because we can; in a perpetual downward spiral of self indulgence. We should be building and working towards a sustainable, self sufficient and democratic society that we are proud of. Lets turn around and look at our surroundings as a habitat and community that we are creating for our children, a gift for our future generations.

Speramus Meliora and Resurget Cineribus
    [[We hope for better things and It will rise from the ashes); lines taken from our own flag.

http://campusmartiuschronicle.blogspot.com/