I walk/drive through that mess everyday on the way to work, there is a nice playground fenced off in there. You can drive through Brush Park and the projects without seeing anyone, there is little crime. No one is left. On the other side of Woodward Avenue you have the Cass Park area which is where the crime creeps out from. It's interesting living in what appears to be a post apocalyptic city, in the sense that these failed projects are what our society has left in it's wake, like a blight tsunami of suburban sprawl. This sprawl blight tsunami is at, oh, about Middlebelt or Merriman to the West now, and 9 Mile to the North. The cultural and logical city center has gone through the initial devastation, and was left vulnerable to future small storms and oil spills, while the Samaranites walk by indifferent to the ways of our societies.

It pains me to see my childhood stomping grounds becoming spent out wastelands [[Welcome to Wasteland, Westland... get it?) as well. These people don't care about the future, or their kids. They're lazy, and they live a life based on fear. These Locust people might as well leave. As for us that is left to deal with the aftermath, all hope is not lost! We can start over and rebuild a new society that is less wasteful and self destructive. Why can't we have nice city centers and subdivisions in Detroit? Why does everyone have to surround the city, with anything even remotely livable being out on what was once beautiful farm land at 23 Mile Road?

So, there is silver lining to our reputation, and let them laugh at us. Know they just don't get it. We should not be invading and destroying everything because we can; in a perpetual downward spiral of self indulgence. We should be building and working towards a sustainable, self sufficient and democratic society that we are proud of. Lets turn around and look at our surroundings as a habitat and community that we are creating for our children, a gift for our future generations.

Speramus Meliora and Resurget Cineribus
[[We hope for better things and It will rise from the ashes); lines taken from our own flag.

http://campusmartiuschronicle.blogspot.com/