Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default You Don't Know Jack

The cockles of my heart were really warmed to see this film. It did a great job of showing Kevorkian the man and his reasons for his right to die actions. The movie didn't touch on the attempt to add a right-to-die amendment to the state constitution which I was a part of. I also liked that Dr. Jack was given a bit of time to explain his art. I also learned that in common law, it was illegal to convert from Xtianity to Islam.

He was also on Bill Maher's latest show where he lambasted religion for messing up people's critical thinking skills. He said something like "They [[religionists) have traded their thinking ability for their beliefs."

Yes, we should all model ourselves after Jack Kevorkian. A creepy old anarchist, dried up spider of a man that seems to take delight in breaking the law and ending the life of others. He can keep his "critical thinking skills".

He's no different than a person calling themselves a Christian, and blowing up abortion clinics. Instead of focusing his energies, led by his belief or philosophy to change the laws, he takes a renegade stance and takes the law into his own hands. He is above the law, in his mind.

Blowing up an abortion clinic and having someone terminally ill asking to die is not the same.

And how much footage was shown of Detroit? even though it's about the man not the area.

I always though Dr. Jack should be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for standing up to his persecutors.

Quote: "Blowing up an abortion clinic and having someone terminally ill asking to die is not the same."

Bombing a building and intentionally injecting someone with a lethal dose of medication are both illegal.

Opinions vary, good he was able to give his, in a country that allows such.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    The cockles of my heart were really warmed to see this film. It did a great job of showing Kevorkian the man and his reasons for his right to die actions. The movie didn't touch on the attempt to add a right-to-die amendment to the state constitution which I was a part of. I also liked that Dr. Jack was given a bit of time to explain his art. I also learned that in common law, it was illegal to convert from Xtianity to Islam.

He was also on Bill Maher's latest show where he lambasted religion for messing up people's critical thinking skills. He said something like "They [[religionists) have traded their thinking ability for their beliefs."

Well stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Yes, we should all model ourselves after Jack Kevorkian. A creepy old anarchist, dried up spider of a man that seems to take delight in breaking the law and ending the life of others. He can keep his "critical thinking skills".

He's no different than a person calling themselves a Christian, and blowing up abortion clinics. Instead of focusing his energies, led by his belief or philosophy to change the laws, he takes a renegade stance and takes the law into his own hands. He is above the law, in his mind.

It's obvious that you are easily impressed by people's physical appearance rather than their thinking ability.

Sometimes laws are no good . When they get broken, people pay attention and the debate begins. It's too easy nowadays for most media outlets to just ignore those who talk quietly about issues. So you think it is not an individual's right to determine how and when their life ends? The circumstances of an individual's death must be determined by others who may have a vested interest in keeping them alive?
    Last edited by maxx; May-01-10 at 04:26 AM.

Quote: "Sometimes laws are no good . When they get broken, people pay attention"

The exact rationale of an anarchist.

Quote: "Sometimes laws are no good . When they get broken, people pay attention"

The exact rationale of an anarchist.
    So you're saying that laws should never be changed? An anarchist is a utopian who believes there is no need for government. That is certainly not me. I am argueing for changing bad laws. You just like to name call.

Met Jack K. while I was leaving the Book Westin after dinner. I think comparing a man who helped people in excruciating pain by fulfilling their wishes to a zealot who murders innocent people at an abortion clinic is absurd wether or not you agree with his right to do so. All laws are not created equally and breaking one does not make you an anarachist. That is why there are different penalties. By your logic a jay-walker should get life in prison.

Quote: "By your logic a jay-walker should get life in prison."

By your logic we should only abide by laws we agree with. I'm sure Dr Kevorkian is a very nice man. The point stands, the law is the law and no one is above it. Don't agree with a law? Go through due process and get it changed. Breaking a law is not how one brings about changing the law.

Quote: "By your logic a jay-walker should get life in prison."

By your logic we should only abide by laws we agree with. I'm sure Dr Kevorkian is a very nice man. The point stands, the law is the law and no one is above it. Don't agree with a law? Go through due process and get it changed. Breaking a law is not how one brings about changing the law.
    Um, no. Breaking a law is one of the main ways it gets changed. Civil disobedience is one way. Widespread disregard suggests that a law is not a good, viable law and that it's time to be re-examined.

By your logic, we would still be a crown colony paying taxes for the British Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Um, no. Breaking a law is one of the main ways it gets changed. Civil disobedience is one way. Widespread disregard suggests that a law is not a good, viable law and that it's time to be re-examined.

By your logic, we would still be a crown colony paying taxes for the British Empire.
    Without civil disobedience, here would also be no votes for women, no school integration and Rosa Parks would still be riding in the back of a bus.
    Ever hear of Henry David Thoreau, Sstashmoo?
    Last edited by jcole; May-12-10 at 01:46 PM.

Quote: "Without civil disobedience, here would also be no votes for women, no school integration and Rosa Parks would still be riding in the back of a bus."

All of these were by and large accomplished by peaceful demonstration. Show me one law that was changed by "civil disobedience". By that line of reasoning, drugs, murder, rape, embezzlement etc. should all be legal by now.

All of these were by and large accomplished by peaceful demonstration. Show me one law that was changed by "civil disobedience". By that line of reasoning, drugs, murder, rape, embezzlement etc. should all be legal by now.
    Rosa Parks broke the law when she sat in the front of the bus. Others when they sat in restaurant seats reserved for whites. I think all the sit-ins against the Vietnamese War and the draft ended the draft here.

The legalization of drugs is widely discussed publicly. The rest are crimes done without the victims' permission. Dr. Kevorkian only assisted people who wanted to end their own lives because their lives had lost all quality and they wanted some control over the circumstances of their deaths. So shouldn't an individual get to decide how and when they die when they have a terminal disease? If you don't have that power what good is it to have any other power?

Quote: "Without civil disobedience, here would also be no votes for women, no school integration and Rosa Parks would still be riding in the back of a bus."

Um ... civil disobedience is often peaceful. Rosa Parks' disobedience was peaceful. The law she broke was judged unconstitutional -- as an eventual result of her breaking the law.

What did the cop say who arrested her? "The law's the law, and you're under arrest."

Perhaps you are thinking of civil disobedience's unrulier cousin, direct action.

Women chained themselves to the fence at the White House and were jailed attempting to get the vote, not to mention being arrested and jailed or put in institutions to be allowed to use birth control on their own bodies.

Heated debate here. Can't help but notice two certain personas on DY only show up in close proximity to each other only to bicker [[like watching a puppet show done by the same guy) back and forth.

There are laws worth changing. There is a difference between euthanizing and rare examples of extremists blowing up abortion clinics.-aaaand as much as I will harp on certain cities, institutions, or American-made "religions", I will kindly ask opportunist-minded folks not to use every thread they come across to define their beliefs [[or lack of therein) by how much unabiding, intolerance they have for other folk's beliefs [[even to the point of childishly cherry-picking strawman examples to pad your tired arguments and make clumsy sweeping generalizations).

That all said, Kevorkian was a good painter, that's all I can say for him.

We had a neighbor who's daughter was really torn dualistically from rehabbing and F-en' up all the time. She was tiring and overbearing to deal with, and the worst she got is when she was proselytizing folks [[would creep my mom out something awful) with her Hemlock Society beliefs. Down the line, she wised up and admitted she was really off-base and wrong in the head at the during that time in her life.