Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    There is grass there, indeed, and you see grass in lots of places, but it's somewhat unusual to see grass and dirt protected by barbed wire [[even in Detroit). Wouldn't you agree?
    Wouldn't you know it. If you look at that picture, someone actually is about to cut the grass. See that mower on that trailer??

Default tripping out in the Cass Corridor - from behind Carl's Chop House?

For a psychedelic experience, try exploring the triangle between the Lodge, Grand River, and Martin Luther King: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=40.598246,89.208984&ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=4 2.344756,-83.067799&spn=0,0.01089&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.3 43097,-83.068432&panoid=ea-fzcvYtT7pgkdmrXZpog&cbp=12,169.65,,0,5

Start on the JCL west service drive at MLK and head south. Immediately, your view is transported to the Michigan left on Warren at Fourth, where if you pan left and right, the images start to roll to one side [[a bit disorienting if you're only used to the pitch and yaw controls in Google Maps). Then it's on to Third and Forest for a couple of frames. Hold up at the corner of Noble Street, where things straighten up for one frame, because they redid a lot of intersection shots recently. Turn right [[west) onto Noble, and then down either Hobson or Brooklyn, and be prepared for a wild ride through the Cass Corridor, past the Beethoven, into a new condo development, along Alfred Street in Brush Park... all at strange roll angles. Imagine that you're gunning your engine through trees, postal trucks, houses, and other obstructions that seem to be blocking the direction of travel. When you reach Grand River, the spell breaks, and you can mentally break into Carl's Chop House to dry out from your trip and remind yourself which side of the Lodge you are on.

- Ross in Ottawa

3. Default

Re: the St. Louis oddity, I checked City records out of curiosity. Looks like the building became abandoned around 2006, and then was sold in 2007. Since corner photos are newer, it has probably been rehabbed. That area's on the upswing.

And don't knock the North Side! That's where I came from. Yeah yeah, it's got abandoned buildings and whatnot, but just like Detroit it's made up of many varied areas, and there's a lot more to the place than physical decay. I visited my old North City neighborhood last month and heard saws and masonry equipment on just about every block, such is the revitalization happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by 220hendrie1910 View Post
    For a psychedelic experience, try exploring the triangle between the Lodge, Grand River, and Martin Luther King: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=40.598246,89.208984&ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=4 2.344756,-83.067799&spn=0,0.01089&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.3 43097,-83.068432&panoid=ea-fzcvYtT7pgkdmrXZpog&cbp=12,169.65,,0,5

Start on the JCL west service drive at MLK and head south. Immediately, your view is transported to the Michigan left on Warren at Fourth, where if you pan left and right, the images start to roll to one side [[a bit disorienting if you're only used to the pitch and yaw controls in Google Maps). Then it's on to Third and Forest for a couple of frames. Hold up at the corner of Noble Street, where things straighten up for one frame, because they redid a lot of intersection shots recently. Turn right [[west) onto Noble, and then down either Hobson or Brooklyn, and be prepared for a wild ride through the Cass Corridor, past the Beethoven, into a new condo development, along Alfred Street in Brush Park... all at strange roll angles. Imagine that you're gunning your engine through trees, postal trucks, houses, and other obstructions that seem to be blocking the direction of travel. When you reach Grand River, the spell breaks, and you can mentally break into Carl's Chop House to dry out from your trip and remind yourself which side of the Lodge you are on.

- Ross in Ottawa
    Now that's worth bookmarking. That's stranger than your own legs abandoning you in a dumpster and marching off in a huff.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Now that's worth bookmarking. That's stranger than your own legs abandoning you in a dumpster and marching off in a huff.
    So is that one as well.

geez...how do you find this stuff?

Someone has a nice new house full of carpet. That's too funny.

Oops. The basketball is going into traffic!

Link: Click here

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin' Best View Post
    If you put "282 Eliot" into "street view," you get to see Slumpy again! There was absolutely nothing like it - Slumpy was the poster child for the house-moving industy. Bricks like to stay put...
    Here it is:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...183.2,,0,-8.09

Awesome! This is [[was) one of my favorite structures in Detroit. Watch the collapse of the entire facade while a film crew happened to be there
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7G4hpvUn4

also, notice the weird smoky haze hovering over the cars on the opposite side of the street.... I've seen that in street views of other areas in Brush Park. ghost hideout???
    Last edited by chick_made_of_steel; June-17-10 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick_made_of_steel View Post
    Here it is:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.003964&z=18

Awesome! This is [[was) one of my favorite structures in Detroit. Watch the collapse of the entire facade while a film crew happened to be there
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7G4hpvUn4

also, notice the weird smoky haze hovering over the cars on the opposite side of the street.... I've seen that in street views of other areas in Brush Park. ghost hideout???
    That Google link is to the Fisher service drive near Springwells.

What an awesome thread! Ive enjoyed countless hours looking at all the street views...brought back some old memories. You know this street view feature is kind of scary when you think of someone whom you wouldn't want to know where you live. Technology is so amazing, yet so scary at times. I really like knowing what's going on around my city, so I will continue to follow this thread to be kept abreast on the neighborhoods. Thanks to all for keepng us informed!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taxpayer7 View Post
    You know this street view feature is kind of scary when you think of someone whom you wouldn't want to know where you live.
    If they don't already know where you live, Street View won't help them any. That's what whitepages.com is for.

Actually, there are other websites in which all you need is a first and last name; then for free you get address, birthday, etc. From there, google maps will tell you exactly where they are....scary!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    That Google link is to the Fisher service drive near Springwells.
    oops... sorry, got my links confused. Thanks Jimaz for the right one.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taxpayer7 View Post
    Actually, there are other websites in which all you need is a first and last name; then for free you get address, birthday, etc. From there, google maps will tell you exactly where they are....scary!
    No scarier than a map and a phone book. The search functions in the online services save you some time, but any sufficiently motivated person could have easily found that stuff out even without the Internet, and anyone lazy enough to be put off by the lack of an online search function is probably not someone you had to worry about anyway.

LOL, good point Bearinabox!

LodgeDodger Guest

This isn't in the D, but it sure made me laugh...

Here is a funny one I picked up by reading one of Detroitdad's posts on bus service. I just moved it a notch to Plymouth and Wyoming and there was this very contemporary battle scene: An Obama clad Sunoco station versus A BP station on the opposite corner. A lovely abandoned station sits crossways from the Obama.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,277.82,,0,3.2

Here's a more direct link: Obama vs. BP

Thanks! I had heard of that station but have never seen it.

Oddly, if you go down Wyoming and look back, it's just a plain old Sunoco. Google must be stuck in a time warp. ;-p

The "abandoned boats" are just proof of the Great Flood of Detroit. But shhhh no one talks about it, all that knew about it are dead. LOL. Sorry couldn't resist throwing a conspiracy theory out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    If you look in the right corner, in the aereal shot Slumpy is already gone.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast