Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Does anyone have a link to the full episode?

LL Cool D Guest

casscorridor, your radicalized view is not a new one. But the fact is that the UAW held a monopoly on price and quality, for a long time, too long. The prices went up, the quality went down, the average car buyer had no choice but to suck it up.

Then came capitalism to the rescue, the average joe bought Japanese cars, the UAW got religion, nobody believed them, Detroit-area jobs disappeared by the hundreds-of-thousands, replaced, perhaps, by transplants in southern areas once dominated by the Klan, an organization which hated, along with blacks and Catholics, trade unionists.

LL Cool D, are you seriously from Calumet City, IL? If so, please leave most of the discussion to folks who even live in the state, let alone the Detroit area. Especially if you're going to be so insistent that you truly know what's going on here.

And this thread got WAY off topic. Look at the title, folks. It's about what the Dateline story didn't show. I thought this thread was about trumpeting the positive things that Chris Hansen missed [[that's why I purposely avoided the other thread). If you want to gripe about the whole Dateline story, please go to the other Dateline thread.

Or better yet, you can gripe about what a messed-up city Detroit is, how it's completely beyond repair because the [[insert random hated group here) messed it up, and then blame each other for not fixing it. Why don't you start a separate thread on that so you can leave the rest of us to have a nice, positive conversation.

In the meantime, there are some of us who want to celebrate the things that make us proud of Detroit, the things that the rest of the country never sees. Mmm-kay?

LL Cool D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    LL Cool D, are you seriously from Calumet City, IL?
    I really don't see how any of that is your concern, but since you ask, not only am I from CC, but in high school I was on the champion Quiz Bowl team. Suck that up.

Thanks REL. Really people need to stop with the negatives. Detroit still has a lot to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by LL Cool D View Post
    I really don't see how any of that is your concern, but since you ask, not only am I from CC, but in high school I was on the champion Quiz Bowl team. Suck that up.
    Cool, honey. I can suck that up because I played Quiz Bowl for Wayne State. Which happens to be located in Detroit, by the way. Glad to know we both know our state capitols

No need to be rude, just sayin', you are asserting yourself like you're very familiar with the city. I was just surprised to see you live so far away.

So, to continue on with the relevant subject of the thread, I wish they showed...

...the folks trying to re-open the Aquarium
    ...the volunteers trying to spruce up Historic Fort Wayne
    ...The Westin Book Cadillac lit up at night
    ...Busy Bee Hardware

I agree with Rochelle Riley. She said Chris Hansen could have avoided the negative backlash if only he had talked to any of Detroit's middle or upper class citizens and quizzed them on why they love Detroit and why do they stay. But I know that people didn't want to see a slobfest about Detroit. They wanted to see the dirty, grimey, rotting Detroit to grab ratings.

For the record, I am glad they told the story about the lady and her kids. I can relate because that was my mother 30 years ago raising me, my sister and my cousins all by herself. We had to make do until things got better.

LL Cool D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Cool, honey. I can suck that up because I played Quiz Bowl for Wayne State. Which happens to be located in Detroit, by the way. Glad to know we both know our state capitols

No need to be rude, just sayin', you are asserting yourself like you're very familiar with the city. I was just surprised to see you live so far away.
    Hi REL, sorry about my snotty response, I was just trying to take the high road with Al Publican's clumsy innuendo about "males" [[ditto with corridor's warmed-over, rancid Bolshevism), and then I took your dismissal of my "cheek" as mere insolence. But we're good now. Positives:

1) Detroit has real history, a real golden age, which few cookie-cutter sun-belt cities can claim.
    2) Detroit is still the center, and logical nucleus, of a large metropolis.
    3) Detroit's second golden age, a cultural one, which occurred as the first one was in its death throes, is one which has never been matched anywhere else.

So, Reverend Sheffield's New York journey is over. He got to meet with the executives and Chris Hansen to voice his and many Detroiters displeasure with the Dateline piece and in the end he got NBC's word that they may consider a town hall in Detroit. For what? To remind us that we are a broken city. According to Sheffield, a town hall meeting would have a productive dialogue about Detroit.

With all the talk about Sheffield's visit one would have thought that anything less than another Dateline special about the good things of Detroit would not be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    the country-bumpkin ways of Detroiters.
    That's a colorful way of putting it.

My god people, SHUT THE HELL UP
    Honestly, I can certainly see you all want the city in a better condition, but bitching at someone because they "Point out the 'norm' in other cities"? Come on.
    This is one of the NUMEROUS things pushing the city even further down. If you all want to argue over a fucking screen, be my guest, just know it's not helping the city any.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4