Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 425 of 432 FirstFirst ... 325 375 415 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,625 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Looks like it is Dead as a Door Nail Here!!!!!....Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    Looks like it is Dead as a Door Nail Here!!!!!....Whaler
    Name:  epitaph.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  78.6 KB

But, hey, that's over one and a half million views. Not too shabby!

It's a shame...........this thread was really cookin' there for a while. Then it seems like when we discovered that we couldn't capture any more lightning in bottle everybody went home. Yes. There are some diehards and real true Garwood mansion people still checking in every once in a while, but for all intent and purpose I'm afraid this thread is dead. Lowell made a few bucks, we got to touch base with some old friends [[albeit briefly), and we generally had a real good time; at least I know I did.

In defense of some [[like my brother) I think a few years ago Lowell switched over the format here and what ever he did caused everybody to have to re-register in order to post messages. Well a lot of people have had nothing but trouble getting signed backup, so they just gave up and lost interest. It took me about 5 minutes to talk Hoover through the procedure one day, and he got on here for a while [[come to think of it it was only one day), and if the same thing happened to him that happened to my brother then he couldn't sign on the next time he wanted to use the site. He was back to square one with the registration hassle.

Just sayin...........

The original thread read like a novel, with flashbacks going back in time. It was very exciting. It was an exciting moment when Larry showed up for the first time. :-)

Default Garwood architect found!

Ben Gravel has finally found evidence of the mansion architect! Benjamin and Straight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks kklemmer. I wonder if the actual building plans are stuck in some archive somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks kklemmer. I wonder if the actual building plans are stuck in some archive somewhere.
    Now that we know the architect it may be a little easier to trace. There are not a lot of houses attributed to them. I'm also a little skeptical because the view of the house is a drawing, not a photograph... So this ad was done prior to construction. The architect may have changed. The Garwood house has often been thought to be a George Mason or CH Crane design. Crane makes sense for the theatrical and acoustic qualities of the space.
    This year's designer show house is a Benjamin & Straight design and has a lot of similarities to the Koerber house. Both are visually quite different from the Garwood. I know one of the Koerber children so I will ask if any of this rings a bell.

http://jldshowhouse.org

Do you remember the MJ Morrish house? I think this would have been on the street to the south, starboard drive. I think I may have a better picture of it somewhere. Interesting story about Mrs Morrish preventing the G-men from searching the house during prohibition at gunpoint...

ken

Let's go beyond stonecliff and back to the Garwood as a group of people that were United as a group of individuals that actually created what happened at the house. It wasn't just the band. It was the people that lived at the house.

below

that, in my opinion is why this thread is losing steam.

the band was great, the people were what the Garwood was all about.

oldguy..................That is the real truth and fact about the Garwood. There were a lot of rock 'n roll bands that lived in mansions [[Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane, the Dead), but none of them had such a powerful and creative group of eclectic souls living in the house for years as a family and a unit. I would say there was a core group of about a dozen people that were the backbone and continuous residents of the mansion [[not counting the band) and it is that group and their many friends and frequent visitors that make up the real story of the Garwood mansion. Those people were the heart and soul of the whole damn saga......................

.................to be continued?
    Last edited by stnfrnt; February-21-16 at 02:25 PM.

Breaking News..........

Name:  stump.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  51.5 KB

....and bodily functions are one of his specialties.

kklemmer, I love the fact that Gar Wood never gave the City Of Detroit a blueprint for the mansion. It's really amazing what you can get away with, when you have a lot of money!

Quote Originally Posted by det313grrl View Post
    kklemmer, I love the fact that Gar Wood never gave the City Of Detroit a blueprint for the mansion. It's really amazing what you can get away with, when you have a lot of money!
    They probably did, but most cities don't keep them for a long time, and real blueprints do not last long. I think the process makes the paper brittle and after 20 years or so they start to crumble. Many times they would be re-traced by hand every 20-30 years [[for important public buildings, railroad stations, etc.)
    i have found a few more drawings of the area... It would have been amazing if all built as planned in the 1920's.

Any body recognize/remember this stunner?

Name:  xxz.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  28.2 KB

Is that Nancy?

If so, is that somewhat recent?

No reply? I'm curious.

Or, maybe not.

Yup. That's Nancy alright…… All of her. She's about three times the girl that I once knew, but she's still beautiful.

I got a kick out of d-girl. She remembered Nancy, but she didn't remember her "ampleness". I guess that's a new word. I'm not sure how recent that photo is. I'm guessing it's probably 2-4 years ago. She's a wonderful gal. Nobody like her in the whole world; still love her, but then I guess everybody who knew her does. Doing quite well, and I mean quite well, but she sure doesn't want anything to do with anybody from the Garwood. Oh well.

Back in the old days..................

Name:  Snapshot000001.png
Views: 1026
Size:  183.6 KB

She was a sweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    Yup. That's Nancy alright…… All of her. She's about three times the girl that I once knew, but she's still beautiful.

I got a kick out of d-girl. She remembered Nancy, but she didn't remember her "ampleness". I guess that's a new word. I'm not sure how recent that photo is. I'm guessing it's probably 2-4 years ago. She's a wonderful gal. Nobody like her in the whole world; still love her, but then I guess everybody who knew her does. Doing quite well, and I mean quite well, but she sure doesn't want anything to do with anybody from the Garwood. Oh well.

Back in the old days..................

[ATTACH]30072[/ATTACHl]

that, in my opinion is why this thread is losing steam.

the band was great, the people were what the Garwood was all about.
    You have not lost all of us, we, [[I), just ran out of keyboard steam.

And other steam, but just keep posting those hotties.

Apologies to all of us vets for the following.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-08-16 at 11:42 PM.

Attachment 30365

Geez, Now I have to attach

more characters then I am. F*ck.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-08-16 at 10:58 PM.

Great video Isle.

Bigb23......No apologies necessary. Everybody likes to pick on the 101st. They sent a new battalion over to Vietnam when I was there, and they cranked up their artillery for a fire support mission; but somebody read the TOPO map wrong, and they blew up our motor pool.

We definitely had some hotties living at the Garwood. Amongst them was our favorite redhead Ms. Ruth Hoffman.

Name:  160754.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  9.8 KB
    Hey Isle....... I latched onto that video about a year ago from somebody on this thread, and that's a great little film about the old man himself. They for putting it up here again.

Hi folks...........hope everybody's doing okay.