Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 417 of 432 FirstFirst ... 317 367 407 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 427 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,425 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Thank you for posting some of these rare photos and sharing more stories. The Gar Wood Mansion really held you mesmerized at times, most of the time in a good way. Really looking forward to seeing many of you. I talked with Tom M. who lived there when the boiler almost exploded. His comment was " I saw Larry walk on water that night" he swears that you ran to the bridge in record time! Tom is also looking forward to seeing many of you.
    Peace!

Good to hear from all the posters!

Isle.......great to hear from you, and I hope all is well with you and yours.

Lots of hours spent here in this room with dear friends...........

Attachment 25521

Fergie is standing up and Petey is sitting across from Lee Elbinger with Roselyn at the head of the table. Over in the corner that would be me serving the prime rib dinner to my gal Nancy [[blocked by my arm) and Gus sitting way back in the corner. I think that's little Annie Reynaud sitting next to John Collier with their backs turned toward us.

And then who could forget nights like this watching Stonefront practice in the ballroom with a nice fire going?

Attachment 25522

Back again.....I remember building that table with. Ted Misuracca [[RIP) and had to disassemble it to get it out of the room we built it down in the basement....Cpt Nemo [[Brian Mc...) didn't appreciate us using his stash of valuable wood from deconstructed boats he used to build and refurbish other boats....Many good meals and gatherings at that table....

I remember that little construction project. I think I laughed for 4 days straight, and I couldn't wait to tell dad. I don't think I ever did, but I'm fairly certain that if I had told him what you guys did he would have refused to be seen in public with you until the Cubs won the World Series. But it was one helluva table.

Larry, thanks for the DVD's and the connection. Looks like the documentary is coming along really well. Can't wait for the final cut.

You got it, Mark. I still want to see more of your interview in the movie. You present your stories with such a casualness and a matter of fact/so what attitude that comes off as honest, refreshing, and about half drunk. I love it!

We've been trying like crazy to find Petie, but we haven't been very successful. I don't think I even know what her real name is, so if anybody has any info I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. This is her up in that beautiful big old oak tree out on the point. John Collier loved that tree. He used it in a lot of his photos.

Attachment 25626

Other than that famous picture in the ballroom by the pool table, I have no recollection of who she was. That is one of my favorite John Collier photos.

It's a classic alright.

Attachment 25636

Hey sports fans. If you're the gamblin' type here's a pair to draw to. It's another John Collier classic photograph taken at my brother Gary's wedding circa 1973-74.

Name:  merryman bros collier.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  32.5 KB

It's great seeing the pictures, and listening to you guys chat again.

Hey there pretty mama don't you want to come?
    We're going to the Garwood gonna have some fun
    Start a revolution til the rocks come down
    Gonna play our guitars til there's just bare ground.
    Start a revolution!
    Start a revolution!
    Start a RevoLution!
    Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump!

Baby you remember when the air was free ....

Rock it, Rick!

Blind Ricky Bell grinding hard out in the mean streets of Hamtramck, MI. God bless that boy.

Attachment 25734
    Last edited by stnfrnt; February-03-15 at 01:56 AM.

Love the pic of Blind Ricky!!!!... Gotta go shovel some more Snow!!!... This Blows!!!... Whaler

It seemed like there was ALWAYS something going on down in the main kitchen. Any time day or night you would probably find somebody in there doing something. I only recognize Roselyn and "Charlie" [[real name was Emil something or other), and I don't have a clue as to who those other folks are. Anybody have any guesses?

Attachment 25786

Seems like Roselyn got Charlie laughing about something! The gal to Charlie's right looks familiar , other then that they are all strangers to me! Are those canteens on the table? We all smoked back then , in every room in the house. Nice pic John Collier! Thanks Larry for posting yet another mystery!

I never knew Charley had a different name. Emil? He and Fergie introduced me to the east side. Had a lot of laughs with those two.

I also wonder what was up with the canteens. Anybody's guess in that kitchen. The girl next to Roslyn by the refrigerator does ring a bell, but not loud enough to pull up a name.

Ellen were you one of these gals helping to clean the mansion [[or do you recognize anybody)? I always thought that that was one of the cool things about living there. If the place started getting a little funky there always seemed to be plenty of folks around that would come down and give us a hand at getting it spruced up. That came in pretty handy especially during the summer when we were having parties just about every week. And even then I remember some people crashing out at the mansion the night of a party and then getting up in the morning [[or whenever they woke up) and helping out with the cleanup.

Attachment 25845

Name:  girls on the side .jpg
Views: 566
Size:  92.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    Ellen were you one of these gals helping to clean the mansion [[or do you recognize anybody)? I always thought that that was one of the cool things about living there. If the place started getting a little funky there always seemed to be plenty of folks around that would come down and give us a hand at getting it spruced up. That came in pretty handy especially during the summer when we were having parties just about every week. And even then I remember some people crashing out at the mansion the night of a party and then getting up in the morning [[or whenever they woke up) and helping out with the cleanup.

Attachment 25845

Name:  girls on the side .jpg
Views: 566
Size:  92.7 KB
    Yes, in the first photo from left to right are Petey, Linda [[standing) Ellen, Sharon and ?.
    Second photo, Linda, Sharon, Petey, Ellen and ?. Gosh we were all so slim, and we all looked like we were 13 years old.
    Yes, we were cleaning , it seemed that everyone was in the rush to get the place all polished up for Mr. Gar Wood's visit. Cleaning was almost contagious during that time period. Good music was on, it was sunny and we all had some sort of good vibrations happing. I remember that day as very spontaneous and full of fun!

Okay, I think the guy in the pictures is Billy Landless , not sure if i am spelling his name right. He hung out with us and I believe he has gone to the spirit in the sky. He was a good guy! Larry , was he part of Stonefront Band?

Billy played bass with Stonefront for a short period before my favorite Fender bass guitar player in the whole world Mark Swanberg came on board. He was a really good player and a real special kind of person. He passed away a couple years ago, and and I was really, really sad to hear that. He hung out at the mansion quite a bit, and I heard he was doing some gigging with some Detroit heavy hitters like Jimmy McCarty and Johnny B. from Mitch Ryder's old band.

Attachment 25876

Attachment 25877

Name:  stonefront gothic USA 50%.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  42.1 KB

On the off chance that some folks haven't heard yet there is a documentary film about the Garwood mansion, a rock 'n roll band called Stonefront who lived and played there, and some of the eclectic souls who lived there during the 1970s that is in the final-final stages of production and is getting ready to be released and shown to the public some time this summer. I could pontificate on that project for a long, long time, but I would rather direct you folks to a couple of web sites that will show and explain just exactly what this movie called Stones Throw is all about. Check these out, and be sure to click on the 'Movie Trailer' button; you'll get a taste of life in the magnificent Garwood mansion as seen through the eyes of Stonefront's sax man Robin Welch with some absolutely stunning still photography by Pulitzer Prize nominee and Detroit native John Collier.

New Main Website
    http://www.stonesthrowfilm.com/
    Facebook Pages
    Film
    https://www.facebook.com/stonesthrowfilm
    Music:
    https://www.facebook.com/stonefrontmusic

Twitter Pages
    Film
    https://twitter.com/stonesthrower
    Music:
    https://twitter.com/Stonefrontband
    Instagram Feeds
    Film
    http://instagram.com/stonesthrowfilm
    Music:
    http://instagram.com/stonefrontmusic

YouTube Channels
    Film
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32N_6gr0TBgg0RneAgXqiA/playlists
    Music:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC20U7X5yKyciyFAh73DKqHA/playlists
    Tumblr Page
    http://stonesthrowfilm.tumblr.com/
    Soundlcoud Profile

https://soundcloud.com/stonefront

Attachment 25977

Last edited by stnfrnt; February-26-15 at 02:19 PM.

Bravo! A legend.

Jimaz, I'm not so sure about the legend part. Maybe the mansion qualifies, but I'm not sure about anything else. But thanks for the thought. I really appreciate that.

I know the parties are legendary. That fact is not in dispute. I think I'm still recovering from some of them.