Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 413 of 432 FirstFirst ... 313 363 403 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 423 ... LastLast
Results 10,301 to 10,325 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

To those of you [[and us) who have been following this thread since its inception some years ago, this is for you.

The stories and tales involving life at the Garwood mansion are so numerous and so outrageous that it would take a movie to get the message across, or at least some of it. Well sports fans, that is exactly what is happening and is in progress as we speak. Instead of trying to explain everything in this post, I would refer you to:http://www.stonefrontgarwoodyears.com/news.asp. Go to that link and navigate the website for info and updates about a documentary entitled Stonefront: The Garwood Years, chronicling life at the Garwood mansion through the music of Stonefront and the incredible photography of legendary photojournalist [[and Detroit native) John Collier. In the meantime, check out this little video clip of an NBC Nightly News broadcast back in 1971:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HXAT5OwuQ

A very special shout out and thank you is in order for Lowell Boileau who has been [[and continues to be) the very capable and energetic driving force behind the DetroitYes domain/website, and for that we are forever grateful. Through his efforts a couple of old time Garwood mansion friends and residents were able to set up the Garwood mansion thread and start putting all the people involved in what I like to call the "Garwood Mansion Saga" in touch with each other. Mucho kudos, amigo.

Heh. David Brinkley called you "a band of hippies." What an honor.

Yeah, 1971. That's about when I first heard of the phenomenon. You guys had a reputation that spread far and wide by word of mouth. I think most were just envious but it also opened up people's imagination to the possibility of what seemed impossible.

Good job. Really good job!

Thanks Jimaz.....good to hear from you again. Ya....the "band of hippies" is a wonderful newscaster's term.....badge of honor...

Ok Larry, it was the mid to late 60's. I was living in a farmhouse just south of Carbondale Il. There were about 5 or 6 people living there. Four of us were named Mark. Due to peculiar living oddities at the time it was a bit confusing having 4 people named Mark.
    One guy was the son of an ambassador from Nepal that spent part of his summers overseas. When he came back he had things to trade and became known as Trademark. Another guy that lived at the house had thick glasses and was always reading books. He became Bookmark.
    Another guy worked at a gas station. On one side of his blue and white pin striped shirt it said Mobil. On the other side it said Mark. He became Mobile Mark
    Me....obviously it was the bushy hair, and I became bushmark. After that, things were simplified in the house.

As far as old guy, when I was attempting to locate people from the Garwood, and came across DYes. There were people asking questions about the old mansion. It seemed like a forum of young people and so to join it I picked the handle of old guy. Actually other than Sharon, I was probably one of the youngest people living there. Other than being a few months younger than Hoover.
    Anyway, that's the story. Aside from that, I was looking for the thread from about a year back about peoples thread names. It was interesting but I haven't been able to locate it.
    Maybe Jimaz, Eastside Al or Gistock might know what thread I'm talking about. It was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    ... Maybe Jimaz, Eastside Al or Gistock might know what thread I'm talking about. It was a good one.
    Great story.

This might be the one: DetroitYES Home » Non Detroit Issues » The origin of my sceenname

Great film clip on YouTube! Thanks for the link Larry.
    ken

Glad you enjoyed the clip, Ken. Stay tuned for more stuff.

.............Attachment 24190

Just popped in to say Howdy!!!!... Summer is drawing to a close here in the "D"...It has been the mildest summer I can remember Mid 70's all the way thru...Yesterday it hit 90* ...Larry you should of come this summer man we had to close the windows a few times hahaha... Hope everyone is well...hey Det313grl if your out there give me a call!!!...Whaler

Somehow I get the feeling that your run of that mid-70s temperatures would have come to a screeching halt if I came back to Detroit for a visit. Glad you enjoyed it though. Maybe next year, maybe this fall. Hell who knows?

I spent most of the summer working part time with a company I worked for before I started the newspaper. Very few local kids apply for jobs these days [[don't know why) and I've been working with two guys from Kazakhstan and one guy from Russia.
    I sold one of the guys from Kazakhstan a bicycle. Another guy that works there was working out a deal to sell the other guy a bike too. He thought it was too expensive but the other guy told him the price was lower than he thought.
    These guys are both Muslims, and I probably know a few but don't know they're Muslims. When the one guy realized the price was much lower than he thought, he took off running after the guy to tell him he wanted to buy the bike. The other Muslim guy that was standing next to me started yelling in broken English, "run Forrest, run." I about fell over laughing. I asked him if he was familiar with the movie and he told me it was one of his favorites.
    It's a strange world when the first guy I know that's a Muslim from half way around the globes favorite movie is Forrest Gump. At least I thought so.

Whaler, we had the same weather here in Wisconsin this summer. It just got hot and humid for the first time this last weekend. Tough year for tomatoes. You're right about the cool weather affecting the tomatoes.

Yea the tomato production was weak... Eggplants are coming in pretty good!!!... All my fall plants flowered early they think it is September !!!!... Rona wants to put together a Gar Wood party next Sept 20th 2015 she and Ken are coming from Hawaii..at the Old Miami Detroit... I'll be glad to help with food BBQ and stuff... Thoughts?????....

HELL YES!!

What kind of BBQ sauce are you talking about Whaler? By the way, do you have access to any fishing possibilities? I mean if it was September, you're just getting back into the good fishing season. I'd consider it , but then again I don't buy bananas that aren't ripe. Sept. 2015? WTF, might be the grand finale. I've been working part time as a rodeo clown but that kind of slows down at the beginning of September. So yeah, maybe.

Hey Sharon, where are you?Name:  172883.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  28.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Hey Sharon, where are you?Name:  172883.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  28.7 KB
    Over here?

Attachment 24293

Yes fishing on Lake St Clair...Brother in Law has a nice fishing boat and a couple friends in St Clair Shores.... Walleye

Gary Roscoe Johnson The GarWood Load-Packer. "Garwood Industries revolutionized the garbage collection industry with their Load Packer described here. Though it began in 1938, significant numbers weren't manufactured until after the War. By 1949, over 2500 of these trucks were in use in municipalities across the country."

Attachment 24341

Just swinging through with the Candy Man and D.K. Bradley keepin' it real with Harry "HiWatt" Boulier at the first Garwood reunion.

Attachment 24358
    Last edited by stnfrnt; September-08-14 at 11:49 PM.

What a fun night that was!!!... Next day too!!!...Whaler

She' the one.....

Attachment 24467

.................................................. ........................so blame her [[and BushMark too).

Hey oldguy.....Robin Zander [[Cheap Trick lead singer) was in your neck of the woods a few days ago. Recognize this place?.....no info on the club, just that it's someplace in Wisconsin Dells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?index=...RI&app=desktop

Hey Larry, yeah that was a small show in the basement of a sports bar. Tickets were $100.00, and it was limited to 100 people. I would have liked to stop out and connect with him. Haven't talked to him in about 20 years. Problem is, I'm living in a motel in Muncie Indiana working as a bus boy at an IHOP now. Things are OK. Alcohol taxes in Indiana are pretty low so the price of 40's isn't bad. Semi- retirement isn't bad and I''m thinking about moving up to Flint. I talked to a guy the other night and he said monthly motel rates were pretty decent there.

Just kidding Larry, I'm living in Stykkisholmur Iceland, just till Columbus Day.
    Really haven't talked to Robin in a long time. The kid playing piano is Robin's son. I guess the show started pretty late because he was in Michigan and was planning on taking a flight to Chicago. That's still a mess so he had to drive down. Amazing how one infrastructure failure can affect the entire country.

Wow! I just got back from Stykkisholmur a couple days ago. I was up there doing a study on addiction and the problems it causes in the herring population. Sure wish I would have touched base with you. Oh well, maybe next time.

What's really amazing is how utterly dependent some of us have become on a well-established and functional infrastructure. I guess nobody these days has ever heard of Plan B, much less Plan C, or better yet just say fuck it to the whole out-of-control situation and head on down to the Railroad Tap and talk about lathes and lubricants.