Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 410 of 432 FirstFirst ... 310 360 400 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 420 ... LastLast
Results 10,226 to 10,250 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

There was a Ralph Koerber as indicated by the Koerber home history, I wonder if thats the same person, I never recall hearing that any of the offspring bought elsewhere in greyhaven??, The boys were all born in the 20s, 30s and 40s. My G.Grandfather passed away in '71 or '72 so beyond his widow I'm not sure who was living in the home towards the end and eventual purchase by the city under eminent domain, the home was definitely too big for just one person.

That amazes me. $150,000.00 for that home. Even in todays dollars, that's quite a deal. When you think about the master craftsmen building a structure like that. The carpenters, [[they weren't driving to Home Depot and picking up trim.) The bricklayers, people laying tile, the landscaping. Can you imagine the number of people working to build a home like that.

I also remember looking across the canal at that house. It was beautiful. Tudor style but it reminded me of a beautiful, large cottage, and I mean large. But the landscaping was beautiful and it was a gracious setting. The part about the underground brewery with the flagpole is amazing.

I don't believe any of the family visited the Garwood when we were there. Like Ralph down the road, I don't think we were exactly the neighbors you hoped for. Which I think was perfectly understandable.

I find it amazing that a home like that was razed, even through eminent domain in 1975. The home, I would assume would have still been in good condition at that time. I would possibly assume that the razing of the home was connected to the earlier plans for a marina which were also tied to the destruction of the Garwood. Which were tied to certain officials of the city which Larry knew more about.

I'm with you Old Guy, the craftsmanship was amazing, My old man told me he learned how to swim back in the 40's in the pool that was out front then graduated to the canal. I was in the home shortly before it was torn down, it had obviously sat wide open for several months prior to that and crap was strewn all over the place but structurally was still in amazing condition, the Pewabic pottery tiled fountain that was in the sunroom facing the river was a real gem. To recreate those details today would indeed cost a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    My G.Grandfather passed away in '71 or '72 so beyond his widow I'm not sure who was living in the home towards the end and eventual purchase by the city under eminent domain, the home was definitely too big for just one person.
    EC... That would have been in 71 or 72. If that was your great grandfather I do remember that someone that lived in the home, a male passed away one Saturday night during one of those years.
    I think that's what boggles my mind is the fact that during the summer and fall of those years I can remember sitting by the river or the canal some evenings, looking at that house and thinking about how beautiful it was. And then to hear that it was torn down just several years later. I guess that's just Detroit. I can't imagine that happening in any other city.

Went cruisin' for burgers today with my old Gar Wood buddy Eugene Skuratowicz......it was really nice down in the harbor.

Attachment 23305

What's Eugene up to these days Larry? Still in the music biz?

Eugene is doing pretty good for an old fart, just like me. He still has his fingers in the musical pie on some minor levels. Actually, he was out here with Peter Walker, who is enjoying somewhat of a late in life musical rebirth, and we had the opportunity to get together and go down to Rainbow Harbor for one of those $10 hamburgers. It was pretty nice. Peter Walker played a gig over in Santa Monica at the world-famous McCabe's Guitar venue, and Vanguard is re-releasing a couple of albums that he recorded back in the 60s. He has become quite the master of a rather unique style of guitar playing that can only be described as raga flamenco......he's now considered one of the top five guitar stylists in the world.

So, another Garwood alumni seems to be making some headway in this ever changing world.

Are the lakes getting clear of ice enough to start wetting a line or two?

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    ... Peter Walker played a gig over in Santa Monica at the world-famous McCabe's Guitar venue, and Vanguard is re-releasing a couple of albums that he recorded back in the 60s. He has become quite the master of a rather unique style of guitar playing that can only be described as raga flamenco......he's now considered one of the top five guitar stylists in the world....
    That's worth Googling.

Peter Walker - White Wind
    A raga style piece played on the guitar, it really gets going about 4-5 minutes in. Off of the Walker's great 1966 album "Rainy Day Raga"
    Peter Walker - "Morning Joy" - Rainy Day Raga
    From the epicenter of the Sixties Counterculture, from master American guitarist Peter Walker's album "Rainy Day Raga" [[Vanguard, 1966), with liner notes by Timothy Leary [["Peter Walker plays on the ancient protein strings of the genetic code"). Clear spring day in 1966 or 1967 [[one remembers metaphorically, if not exactly): incense, candles, a paisley Indian bedspread, a stoneware bowl of mandarin oranges, a vase of tulips, with their stained-glass hallucinatory mandala interiors, and this record playing, over and over....

Love that photo of them in front of the fireplace. For some reason, in my memory I always thought of that fireplace as an area you could actually stand up in. It wasn't like I was five years old or something. I do remember that night with William Kunstler. Had brunch with him the next day. One of the most incredible people I've ever had a conversation with.
    I've always wondered why certain attorneys or other people of that stature were so revered, until I sat and talked with him. He was an incredible person. He had the ability to listen to what you said, take it all in and give you a reply that gave you more insight about what you were talking about than what you were actually telling him. If that makes any sense.
    He was truly a genius. Possibly an hour of my life that inspired me more than any other time I can remember.
    Just one more incredible weekend in Detroit that I'll never forget.

What was really strange was that the people catering the brunch were some people that had a catering business in Detroit, and we realized that we had met up in the mountains north of Taos several years earlier sitting around a campfire drinking wine one night.

Another Great Story from the Gar Wood!!!!...Whaler

Well Stone 7 out of 10 I have bellied up to!!!...But not recently!!!...Hey I don't know if you guys heard Pa Hodge passed away ?..Tried to get in touch with Det313Grll but all numbers dead...John C told me she moved out West...Sharon if you see this Dallas wanted to let you know!!!!...Whaler

Whaler, that's too bad about Dallas's dad. Is his mother still around? She used to cook up a lot of great meals.
    I called Sharon a few times a couple years back but she was really rude. I always assumed that people were really mellow around 3 am.
    They took her in back in the day didn't they? That's what I remember her telling me.

Old Guy...Ma died a few years ago...Dallas moved pa out to California a year or 2 back...Yes that is what Sharon told me as well!!!.....I heard all the stories of Ma cooking it up at the Gar Wood!!!...Funeral in Detroit next weekend...Whaler

Dallas lives about 2 hrs drive from me out here in sunny SoCal in Santa Clarita. I lived out there years ago......man does it ever get hot out there! I couldn't stand it.....headed straight back to the beach.

Whaler.....our darling Ruth sent me a couple photos of her and Joe.....I don't think she's quite at the level of your daughter Carrie as far as riding goes, but she does look pretty damn good in a saddle......just sayin'.

Attachment 23394

Attachment 23395

Is she still working for the U. of I.?

By the way, here's a photo of all the local bands that were playing there in the late 60's, early 70's where Ruth is working. Can you figure out any of the people in the picture? Hint, a number of them went on to do really well on the national scene. Good luck. I'll buy you a burger if you can figure any of them out.
    Actually I'd probably have to send you one of those frozen packages of White Castle Burgers. Probably cheaper than flying out to L.A. and buying you a $12 burger after a couple hours on the freeway. I'd even throw in a few bags of Mrs. Fishers potato chips. I finally found a source for them up here.

Good luck.
    Attachment 23396

Opening day here saturday. My son caught a bunch of brookies. A few rainbows. Only kept one to taste the opening of the season. We're headed up north for walleyes, northern and pan fish in a couple weeks.

Ruth and Joe look great!!!...Very Nice!!!!!...Whaler

old guy......I'm pretty sure Styx and REO Speedwagon are in there somewhere; and so are the Esquires.

Check out this web site. It tells how many 3rd party eyeballs are connected to [[and collecting data from) any web site you go to. For example, as we speak there are no less than 28 3rd party invisible's collecting data on me yakking on the DY. Just sayin'........

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/lightbeam/

This is an add on for Mozilla, but you can get it any browser you want to use.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; May-05-14 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    ...Check out this web site. It tells how many 3rd party eyeballs are connected to [[and collecting data from) any web site you go to....
    Thanks for that. It only showed 8 for me right after I installed it. That's pretty interesting info.

So Jimaz or Larry, if I use Safari, how can I log into this? Since it's firefox based, can I get around that? Sounds somewhat scary. Not sure if I even want to know. Actually, yes I do. Interesting shit.

By the way Larry, you were correct. But it was also Dan Fogleberg and the One Eyed Jacks. I'll send you a potato pancake. Probably around the 4th of July.
    By the way, what ever happened to your brother? Never hear from him anymore. Maybe he's on facebook, but you know how I feel about NSA based projects. GDGT's.

Oh yeah, interesting that it's brought to light by the Ford Foundation.

old guy.....try this: might have to cut and paste

http://alternativeto.net/software/ghostery/
    My brother is still down in Columbia, TN, jamming out in some of those old roadside dives around Nashville. His daughter just graduated from a small college down there. He's a pretty happy camper these days.

Gary and daughter Lorrelle

Attachment 23414