Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 408 of 432 FirstFirst ... 308 358 398 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 418 ... LastLast
Results 10,176 to 10,200 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Attachment 22904Larry, remember this at Lowden on the Rock River, the Black Hawk statue. Spent a lot of time climbing the trails there.

You bet I remember the Black Hawk statue. I was a lifeguard at Lake Loise in Byron, and we ran all over that part of the county whenever we could get a day off. I am happy to report good things about the statue........ http://www.oregontraildays.org/blackhawk

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Attachment 22904Larry, remember this at Lowden on the Rock River, the Black Hawk statue. Spent a lot of time climbing the trails there.
    A nice little hiking trail, a couple mushrooms and, well you can figure it out......

Attachment 22913

OG.....found this on a facebook site called Rockford Rocked. I know of your paranoia....just sayin'. It's the original five-points location-where the old Hollywood Drive-Inn was....actually still is.

circa 1935

Attachment 22914

Wow, nice photo. The Hollywood Drive In is still there? I probably still couldn't get back in there.

Yup. It's still there. They tried to arrest me for riding my skateboard in the parking lot. Boy....were they ever dazed and confused.....never seen anything like it. They finally gave up trying to find a law that I broke, but like you, I became a serious persona non grata after that.

Keep em coming !!!!...Good Stuff!!!...Whaler

OG.....remember the Rumpus Room? I don't think it was built yet.....don't see it in this photo circa 1910.

Attachment 22940

Larry. I think you're about 4 miles away and about 56 years off, but I'm sure you know that.
    You bet I remember. Saw the Steve Miller Band there. Fleetwood Mac actually played there and a number of other great bands.
    I had a light show company back then and they used to hire me on occasion to do the shows. At one point, I think it was Blue Cheer and their 'Wall of Sound Band' was playing one night. I was doing the lights and toward the end of the show they went into their hard core rock crap and kicked apart all my stage lights and equipment just to be cool. Kind of ended my career in the light show biz. Assholes.
    It was pretty bizarre though, a small teen club down by the river on the edge of a small town that had bands like that. Great times in the gravel parking lot out back. Did you guys play there? I remember Wheezer Lockinger, the Colonel, the Wylie Bros. and the Esquires, who I worked for as a roadie down in Champaign for a while. A million years ago.

I had a band called Berkley Medium that played there a few times. Stonefront played there also.....I think we opened for the Flock that night. Do you remember the Redwoods? They played there all the time. I remember the Buck brothers and the Esquires.....good little band. After those gigs, we'd stop by the Günderson brothers' place for a cold one.

Attachment 22955

Attachment 22973

Observations From a Tree Stump in Whiskey Flats

Everything seemed to be going along just fine.......then the "opposeable thumb" showed up and everything started going down the crapper.

Does this make you want to move to Rockford, IL.....my hometown?

Attachment 22974

Not even if there were five women in the window.

Turns out the guy od'd on heroin, and the gal got burned to death when the meth lab in the basement blew up the whole block. The Rockford City Council decided to put a skating rink on the site......for the kids.

Hey Guys!!!...While perusing DetYes forum, I came across Old Guys thread on Detroit Beers...It has turned out some cool stuff...Take a look on Discuss Detroit...Whaler
    Attached Images Attached Images  

old guy on Detroit Beers?........that's weird.

Whaler, one of those guys wouldn't happen to be you would it?

ATTN: old guy

The Froth Beer Experience and Gastropub Invitational offers an alternative St. Pat’s

http://www.easyreadernews.com/81625/81625/

Old Guy on the Left!!!...Whaler

The Buck brothers [[inside thing for old guy)

Attachment 23022

http://www.sensationsrockford.com/dana-s-bio

old guy......you been on a fishing trip?

Hey Larry. No, but I just booked one. I've been pretty busy setting up the greenhouse and starting seedlings. It's tomato time.

Great picture of the Buck brothers. I took a break from the Garwood at one point and headed down to Champaign to hang out with them. At the time the local bar bands down there were REO, Head East, One Eyed Jacks, Styx, Dan Fogelberg and the Esquires. All playing the clubs with no cover charge.
    They all worked for an agency called Blytham Ltd. that Irving Azoff and Bob Nutt ran. Right about that time, Irving took off for the west coast to promote Dan Fogelberg and to manage the Eagles. Bob headed out there too and went to work for ABC Talent. Gus and I booked acts through him years later in Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago. The Esquires left for Vegas and I headed back to Detroit. Small world.

Full circle?

Bun E. Carlos [[Cheap Trick) , Steve Carlson, John Furland and Jerry Parlapiano [[Paegans band members) got their Rockford Rocked Magazine! Did you get yours?

Attachment 23061

Larry, ever shop for records here? Go into one of the little booths and listen to a 45 to decide if you wanted to buy it. Kind of like i tunes but different with a bit more social interaction.
    If you were flush with cash, maybe stop next door at Palace Shoe Service and get some cleats nailed on your shoes. A new 45 and some cleats, you were walking tall.
    Name:  Photo_34535.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  41.0 KB

Spent hours in there.....passed on the cleats option, though. Saw too many guys slip and fall on their ass because of those things. Orthopedists loved 'em.