Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 401 of 432 FirstFirst ... 301 351 391 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 411 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,025 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Attachment 21251
    Done deal.

▶ Joe Cocker - "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" 1970 /w Leon Russell - YouTube

And they were all at the house. Good people, fun to have a drink or two with. best times of my life, living in Detroit.

Talk about good musicians! These are three of the best I ever played with...or heard. Throw in Darryl Bradley, Robin Welch, and the incredible Gary Markley, and you have a pretty good little rock 'n' roll band. Natalie Morgan took it to another level, too.

This was my favorite place to be in the whole mansion [[not counting being next to Nancy Clayburg wherever....)

Attachment 21257

Attachment 21263Has anyone ever heard from Natalie since the first reunion? We took the train together to Chicago and parted ways at Union Station. I think she was headed for Houston or Dallas. I remember waving goodbye to her but never heard from her again.

She was a great gal with a hell of a voice and great stage presence.

Love That Photo...John Collier Collier is a Magician with the Camera...True Visionary...Glad I can call him my Friend. Skipper had her Nr...I think he talked to her after the reunion..But Nr was disconnected after that...Whaler
    Last edited by Whaler; August-28-13 at 04:55 PM. Reason: More to add

Thanks Whaler, I'll check that out.

Last known address 2-2 1/2 yrs, ago:

Natalie Morgan
    4309 Fredericksburg Rd.
    Lot 22
    San Antonio, TX 78201
    Last edited by stnfrnt; August-28-13 at 10:47 PM.

Larry, when she and I left A2 for Chicago on the train, I know she wasn't feeling very well. When we parted ways in the bowels of Union Station, I helped her get on a cart with a Red Hat to head off to her destination.
    I was headed for Milwaukee and went up to the street level, stopped in for lunch at a place in the station and sat and felt bad that I didn't make sure she made it to her connection. I guess I've always felt bad about that.
    She, Gus and I spent a number of years living in a number of places together, sharing a lot of experiences. We had a lot of great experiences and close times together. I still feel bad about our last encounter. Guess I dropped the ball and have to live with it.

Not to worry, Mark.I was in touch with her after the first reunion, and sent her a ton of photos that I printed up. When the second get together came around, she wasn't up for it, but we still stayed in touch. A couple years ago she was having a difficult time with home repairs,so I helped her out a little bit, but I haven't heard from her since then; probably send a letter off to her soon. Meanwhile, back at the ranch..........

Attachment 21285

Attachment 21286

Attachment 21287

Thanks Larry, good to hear that. Like I said, she wasn't in very good health when I last saw her, and never heard from her again. Good to know she was okay and nice to hear that you were in contact with her and able to help her out. Glad I was sitting in front of the statue and not draped on it like she was.
    I probably would have toppled it. Wow, that was 43 years ago.

BTW, I was thinking about taking a trip to Lake Delavan to fish for walleyes. I checked on lake links to see what was going on there. Sounds like the words out on the good fishing there and it sounds like a real circus. Wall to wall boats. Decided to pass. Still headed up north in early to mid October for Musky fishing.

Gus told me that you tried to get the statue to go drinking with you one night.....wouldn't leave her alone and she slapped the hell out of you. She treated me the same way.....no respect.....a cold, hard heart in that one.

Loved that statue. Wished we could have extracted it somehow rather than the bikers [[ I believe) destroying it. Could be wrong.

Kind of a sad story, Gus and Oklahoma Mike removed the chandelier from the house before the last party. Gus stored it in Illinois at his folks house where it was hung in their foyer for 30 or 40 years. My son, Gus and I attempted to recoup it when the house went up for auction. His son, with something of a vendetta against Gus has the chandelier and has no idea where it was from and won't talk with me or anyone else about it. Too bad.

Photos, John Collier.

Name:  fish eye of hall 1.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  27.0 KB

Wow...That is a Sad Story!!!!...Nice to know a piece of the place still exists!!!!....Whaler

The last party I was at I took a hit of Orange Sunshine!!!...Was feeling a bit disoriented...Was sitting by the Statue all night...A girl who I don't know sat with me all night long...She helped me thru the night...I was losing it....Daylight I walked to Dickerson and Jefferson [[My ride was long Gone)...Found a Bar down the road with a pay phone ....Called for a ride....Crazy Night!!!!...Whaler

Default Johnny Winter

Appearing at the Grande Ballroom on this day 1969...Johnny Winter!!!!!...Stone the man you saved!!!!...Whaler
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Attachment 21251
    Done deal.

▶ Joe Cocker - "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" 1970 /w Leon Russell - YouTube

And they were all at the house. Good people, fun to have a drink or two with. best times of my life, living in Detroit.
    Ya, it was nice....although I don't remember the two drinks part. Are you sure about that?

I always remembered the first two drinks part. After that, it's a bit questionable. Sometimes the first two drinks meant 2 bottles of wine. On occasion, I'm sure those two bottles of wine were gallons of some exotic wine from Italy with names like Fino Vino. So yes, it's fuzzy math.

Anybody check out farmers.com yet? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    Anybody check out farmers.com yet? Just curious.
    You lost me on that one Larry.

I meant farmersdatingsite.com. It's for lonely cowboys and other assorted field hands.

Absolutely, that was the first thing I did when I left Detroit.

Dopey Smiley and Happy

Attachment 21542

Anybody remember anything about a guy named Doug Daghuer that hung out at the mansion? His daughters [[one is chasing butterflies in the photo) have been in touch trying to piece together a memory or two of the time when Doug [[and family.....wife + 6 kids) hung around the house. Doug was an incredibly talented sculptor/artist......very quiet guy.

Attachment 21555

Attachment 21556

Hey Larry, I'm not sure if it's the same person, but I remember an incredibly talented sculptor at the Garwood. I remember asking questions about him early on when we all started communicating after all those years. I don't remember if it was on the original thread or through emails to individuals. I do remember that early on, I was under the impression that it was John Collier that had created the sculptures along with his photo journalism work at the house. When I found out that he didn't do sculpting I kind of hit a dead end.

I do remember seeing a number of busts that were done, a number of them of people at the house, and I think they were possibly of the band members. That's why I was somewhat confused why nobody I talked to seemed to remember them. I assumed that some of you would possess them or know of their whereabouts. I remember they were extremely well done. I remember seeing them at one point at the house and don't know if they were brought there for a short exhibition or were on display for awhile. I have a vague mental picture of them in my mind, but as I said, I'm unclear as to who the artist was.