Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 392 of 432 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 402 ... LastLast
Results 9,776 to 9,800 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

It has gotten pretty quiet.

Hey Old Guy...my nephew Ryan has been doing pretty good up on Lake Delevan lately....wish I was there.

Attachment 14536Attachment 14537

Attachment 14538

It's a nice lake. Wish I was there too.

Look what showed up in Basin 3 over in King Harbor, Redondo Beach. Thought I heard him say he's was headed for the Dells next week.

Attachment 14706

Hey Ya A'All...Hope all is Good....Nice night in the "D"...Hot weather finally broke...Looks nice in the Dells and Cali....Whaler

Memory Lane...

Attachment 14947

Gar Wood Men's 4 x 100 relay team....

Attachment 15040

Bush Mark, Gash, Gus, Skipper

Attachment 15220

Observations from a tree stump in Whiskey Flats

So there I was....butt naked and spread-eagled on the bed...letting the fan blow on my nuts....

and the earthquake hit...

Attachment 15440

Getting ready to go fast on water

Nice history website on Camp Grant Larry. My mother worked in the hospital there and I also remember playing around in some of the bunkers at some point when I was a kid. Didn't part of that become a park?

OG....don't remember a park as such. To me the whole area was a park.
    I did climb the water tower, though....extremely daring and more than a bit scary.....a little stupid too.

Now it's my great-nephews Cayden and Nolan who are tearing up Lake Delevan. I've got to get out on some Wisconsin lakes.

Attachment 15449

Attachment 15450

September 1947: The majority of Camp Grant buildings are torn down.

Fall 1956: Seth B. Atwood buys former camp land and donates it to the Rockford Park District. Outdoor Education programs would begin three years later.

Now I kind of remember.

Oh! I didn't know that Atwood Park was part of Camp Grant at one time. We're talking a huge chunk of land that the Camp occupied. But then again, I guess all military installations are huge as I recall. Atwood park is a really nice acreage. That was THE place for tobogganing in those long, cold winters. Then we'd hang out in this huge, real deal log house/pavilion that Seth built. Had a fireplace about the same size as the GW ballroom fireplace. Good times, good memories.

Yeah, I remember the big log building and I believe they had a long wooden toboggan chute that ran down a big hill side through the woods. Pretty exciting as a kid. Pre insurance liability days.

Especially when Linda Johnson was sitting right in front of you on the toboggan.

OG....my brother-in-law tells me that Atwood has been closed to the public for a few years. They're still finding live ordinance on the acreage. I guess I'm lucky, because I ran all over that place way back when. A good friend of mine used to have access to the horses that the Tebala Shriners kept for parades, and we'd ride out there frequently. I actually forded the Kishwakee River in January once out there. Unforgettable experience!

If I'm not mistaken, I have been to the Gar-Wood but I think it was their summer cottage, because there were a few of them side by side and they were all abandoned. Frightening to say the least with stairs falling apart, and the door leading to the boat house from the kitchen where it was as dark as night.

Is it possible to see the picture of the Gar-Wood mansion??? I love old pictures of great places!!!

Hi Jody...welcome aboard. I lived at the Gar Wood mansion for several years, and I'm not sure about what your recollections might be referring to. The mansion stood alone at the tip of Grayhaven Island where Lake St. Clair emptied into the Detroit River, so the reference to summer cottages is confusing to me; but, many things confuse me. I might suggest you check out the work of an incredibly talented photo journalist named John Collier. http://collierpics.blogspot.com/

When you have scrolled down through the photo page, click on "OLDER POSTS" to see more of John's work, and be sure to read the biography. He was recently nominated for an Emmy in the Documentary category. You can also see him at http://www.stonefrontgarwoodyears.com/john_collier.asp

Default garwood burn time

Quote Originally Posted by Leo B View Post
    Stnfrnt,

I would be interested in the day it burned down. It's fate after Gar sold it has been the subject of much urban speculation and legend. There is also likely a News or Free Press microfilm on the fire if we can nail it down.

Leo B
    I remember sitting on the john reading the news paper when i saw the artical it was spring or summer of 79 or 80

hey gar buddies rocketwhit here...
    hope you are all fine ....

when i first started this thread on the old forum didnt expect to be closing in on 800,000 posts .... un believable

this site and thread holds so many emotions, I know the biggest lot of you know what i mean!! If I could find debbie brush she has the most killer photos ever taken... post inhabited Gar Wood that is

Good to hear from you again rocket. Been a while.

Hey Rocket...where have you been? Sure missed you....great to see you're back on board....