Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 290 of 432 FirstFirst ... 190 240 280 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 300 340 390 ... LastLast
Results 7,226 to 7,250 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Good evening Ruth and Old Guy

Rocketwhit
    Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 31
    Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:05 pm:
    bulletmagnet hope you are still looking for pics of the mansion hope intrest in the mansion talks doesn't die rocketwhit

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 32
    Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 9:14 pm:
    i want to thank everyone who helped re-kindle garwood memories i too am not into negative communication not pointing fingers at anyone who posted thanks for the pics best ive ran into ever 70's was a long time ago but my garwood experiance was a life long fasination born downtown i love detroit and this birthplace and raising seems to create and demand a respect all its own from washington st to florida some stories that still carry worthy conversation to most mark the bird opening day al kaline the riots the wings pistons also the lions thats hard core detroit ted nugent rockets segar cooper the purple gang the tunnell the bridge cobo auto show derby hill drag racing horse racing learning to shoot 2 shot pool foosball first beer first buzz first girl just some of the things i can give first hand sermons on i hope we damn yankies can agree to disagree and continue to post our hearts and p s some more great pics of garwood mansion please...

Jerrytimes
    Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 124
    Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 1:40 am:
    Looks like we have some Stonefront music.
    www.myspace.com/garwoodmansion

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 34
    Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 6:10 pm:
    Jerrytimes you are correct my friend, i listened to the cuts on Stonefronts space very 70's sound
    i for one like it having started playing guitar in early 70's my self two horns in school band i'm trying to reach Robin Welch on Myspace would love to chat with him. Robin if you view this i have pics from Brenda same one you have on your space .

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 35
    Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 6:16 pm:
    Brenda by the way i love the red hair!

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 36
    Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 6:19 pm:
    Bullettmagnet are you still looking for pics let me know you are still there rockethit.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 38
    Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 1:25 pm:
    Well I guess the posters on the Gar Wood topic have given up on the thread to my major dissapointment. I will look for any posts a few more times then I will stop looking.The fire had been re-kindled,I know someone has something more to say or pics to show. The rest of my personal saga is yet to be discripted but i dont want to paint it to myself. Your entries and pics were great i thank all of you for stirring one of my, If not the best of my childhood adventures. And ask that those of you that can share any more info please do. Or if you can or cant do talk to me and let me know, Faithfull posters you know who you are. The close to ending the thred Rocketwhit Garwood visitor

Grumpyoldlady
    Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 66
    Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:27 am:
    Photos! I want to see interior photos! PLEEEEEZE!

Sumas
    Username: Sumas

Post Number: 118
    Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:17 pm:
    I have a copy of Earth magazine, January 1972. The magazine has an article about Stonefront. The author of the piece fell so in love with the Garwood mansion that most of the piece was about the mansion. He describes it in great detail. The mansion had 46 rooms. Fireplaces in most. The stone inside and out was imported from Italy. The pool in the basement was olympic sized. The pictures only show a few interior rooms. I could tell you more but I have a book to publish and can't give all my research away.
    I am going to try to google the photographer to see if there are any other photos.

One thing you might want to do is check out is the Detroit News archieves, the Dossin Mansion is featured, on february 3, 2001. Great interior photos. Most of the historical information is dead wrong but the photos are beautiful interior shots. Dossin ran the Miss Pepsi hydroplane. I was in the house while it was under renovation.

Patrick
    Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5348
    Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:26 pm:
    So who was the architect?

Sumas

Post Number: 119
    Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:10 pm:
    Of the Garwood or the Dossin? I don't know, honestly. I've been trying to track it down. The Fisher Masion was C. Howard Crane. The owners of the other existing house on the island know who was their architect but have yet to tell me who? If I had to take a stab at it in the dark. I would say it was the architect who designed the Detroit boat club. There were only a few architects who built steel reinforced concrete Spanish styled homes in the twenties and thirties. Of the three [[and there were only three), Stucco homes, in the original Grayhaven, each is quite distinct. They were considered part of the eclectic revival movement and were close on the heels of the Arts and Crafts movement. The Fisher Mansion is Italian Revival, the Dossin is Mission Revival and the original Curry home is Spanish Revival. In common they all shared that, significant artistic portions of their decor were imported from Italy.

Patrick
    Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5350
    Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:26 pm:
    I know for sure it wasn't C. Howard Crane. He only designed a handful of homes in the area. Chittenden and Kotting designed the boat club. It wasn't a Kahn or kamper design.

Sumas

Post Number: 124
    Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:13 pm:
    I be willing to bet Chittenden designed the one home I mentioned. The feel of the building is the same as the Boat Club. Any thoughts on the Dossin mansion?

Old_guy
    Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 1
    Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 6:19 pm:
    Hello, I lived at the Garwood, off and on for a few years. I can answer a few questions. As far as how we payed the rent, it was from the door money we collected at the parties. I think we usually charged a couple of bucks or whatever we could get. Probably about half the people that came through the front door payed, and that was OK. A real estate guy owned it and rented it to several of my friends reasonably cheap. His plan was to drive the other home owners off the island so he could develop it. When the homes were originally built, it was set up so nobody could do anything commercial on the island. He wanted to build a marina. Unfortunately the Detroit Free Press wrote an article that I found in their archives that was completely false. They interviewed one of the bikers that lived there after we moved out. The bikers claimed that they fixed the house up, and then hippies moved in and trashed it. We actually did a lot of work on the house. The organ, which the ballroom was built around was said to be the second largest privately owned pipe organ in the U.S. Some of the woodwind pipes were three stories tall. We let a group of people that did pipe organ restoration, come in and work on it. They had it working great after a few years. It was also hooked up to a Steinway concert grand player piano that was on the other side of the ballroom. It also worked. When we were finally told that we had to move out, [[ the city got us on some technicality) we decided to go out with a bang. Someone told the Outlaw Motorcycle gang they could have their national convention there during our last party. Several hundred showed up, and they trashed the whole house. They burned the Steinway piano in the fireplace, using it for firewood. When I left, and I was the last non-biker to leave the house, there were about fifty or so of them there. I guess they stayed.
    There were a couple of guys that lived at the house that would go to shows at the Grande Ballroom, East Town and Cobo Hall, get backstage and invite the bands to come over after the show and play at the house. After a while, it just got to the point that when bands were playing in Detroit, they'd just come over and jam or party. Things finally got out of hand when they invited the Rolling Stones to come over. They announced over the microphone at the end of the show that they were headed to the Garwood to party. They were at Cobo Hall. Everybody called all their friends and within about a half hour the streets at that end of the city were in total gridlock. The cops shut everything down. I think one or two of them made it. After that night the city got a little uptight. It was unbelievable how many bands passed through that house. It's all a little fuzzy, but I can remember getting drunk out of my mind with Van Morrison one night. Johnny Winters and his brother Edgar used to stop by and shoot pool and jam. Big Brother and The Holding Co. [[after Janis was gone), Leon Russel, some of the Small Faces, and all the big Michigan based bands. If I could remember them all, the list would probably be a few pages long. There was also a huge radio transmitter/radio station in the attic. Gar Wood used it to broadcast boat races in Europe but the government came in and dismantled it partially during WW II for security reasons I believe. It was all still there when I lived there. It amazes me when I think back about all those parties and the fact that there were hardly any fights.

Sumas

Post Number: 126
    Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:29 pm:
    The developer mentioned, bought, that portion, of Grayhaven that Garwood owned from Garwood. There were other owners of developed and undeveloped properties in Grayhaven. When Edward Gray went Bankrupt, then died, in the Thirties, his widow allowed the land to revert to the state and city for back taxes. The developer you are refering to bought property from Garwood with the intention of creating a Marina Village. He had big plans, and presumably political connections because the city seized occupied privately owned residential properties via emminant domain. In at least one case, the seizure was fought and lost in the courts. The developer was under capitalized and thwarted in his plans by other Grayhaven land holders. The original land deeds called for single family dwellings and residents refused to amend the deed to accomodate the new development plans. That developer went under too. The land once again reverted for taxes. Only recently, has the state and city come to an agreement as to who really owned what, as a result of these tax forfeitures. The developer seeking some income leased the mansion to the rock promoter who was promoting the rock group, Stonefront. After a class action suit by existing Grayhaven residents against the use of leasing the mansion was won, everyone was officially evicted. The mansion then became a squatters heaven. Eventually, due to police preassure the "hippies" moved out and the notorious motorcycle gang had their day.

The fact is, that a fabulous mansion ultimately lost its last leaf on life, to an electrical storm and burned.

Grayhaven since its inception has been a doomed community. Many failures and many many lawsuits. Look at some good current aerial photos of the island and you will see that the current development configuration resembles a skeleton. It's eerie.

Old_guy

Post Number: 2
    Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:31 pm:
    We were under the impression at the time, that the developer was, or had connections to the Detroit Fire Commissioner. I have no way of knowing if that was true or not.

Old_guy

Post Number: 3
    Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:40 pm:

Attachment 5866
    Found this foto

Sumas

Post Number: 127
    Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:19 pm:
    What year was that, I had a 1967 VW. No,it wasn't my car. [[I bought it used from my sister) I was a hair young to go to the parties. I started out to go to a party there with friends once but chickened out. I definitely knew about it however. I love hearing your stories, it helps bring to life my research. History gets lost so quickly. Early on, the Krishna temple [[Fisher Mansion)had great plans for a restaurant with boat access. A law suit shut that down too.

Old_guy

Post Number: 4
    Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:49 am:
    I'm thinking 68 or 69. At the time we were living there, a guy lived in the Fisher Mansion that developed security systems for the government. He told me that he developed the system that could detect body heat, among others. He had several guards on his roof areas with machine guns. Once a year he would offer anyone a huge amount of money if they could get into his house undetected. Nobody ever did. He would stop down to our house once in a while to visit and always had two security guys with him. He would sit on the couch with one of them on either side of him. Once, we were sitting around in the ballroom talking, and I asked a third guy that was with him what he did for a living. He told me he was an FBI agent and showed me his badge. Everybody in the room [[because we may or may not have been doing illegal type activities) got nervous and started slipping out of the room. He just laughed and told us he could care less about what we were doing. It was interesting. He invited a few of us down to his house several times for drinks. The house was incredible. There was even a bowling alley in the attic. He was quite a character.
    Someone mentioned an old rustic stairway that ran up through the pipe organ pipes. There were actually several small platforms also. One guy that lived at the house with us lived in there and slept on one of the platforms. He actually had it fixed up pretty nice. Remember, I'm talking about the 60's, so everything is relative. We used to love to hit one of the woodwind keys on the organ when he was sleeping. Luckily he was the most laid back guy in the house.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 40
    Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:09 pm:
    Hey ! Alwright ! Thats the kind of stuff & things i tried to re -kindle with the amazing story, and if your some of the un-lucky, so sorry you did'nt experiance the Gar Wood mansion life changing adventure. Old_guy Thankyou great input. I for one would be glad to here all your stories no matter how fuzzy the screen gets in your mind. I made reference to the stairway by the pipe organ, you are correct about the platforms i wonder if they had a purpose in peticular other than storage? Know i know someone has seen the stairway for sure. How about the marble showers cold warm scaulding ingraved in the marble? I 'am still in search of pictures and stories. I was sitting in the bathroom reading the free press when i saw the bad news Garwood Mansion burns. Needless to say i was devastated and had to see for myself. I and one friend took off from know living at twelve mile rd made the drive to Algonquin st to park and walk down the dark roadway that led to one of the most full-filling days of my dazed
    & confused teen age years. To my very disapointing eyes the only thing left... the boat house and a claw foot bath tub i think i actually cryed i could'nt stand to look i had to get out of there. So please keep your stories and what ever pictures you can find and help keep garwood alive if only in our minds and computers thanks Old_guy Sumas ocmobilexec bulletmagnet brenda grumpyoldlady and the rest of OUR GARWOODERS

Swtlorrain66
    Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 16
    Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 3:39 am:
    I had a friend of mine, John..[[now deceased).
    He mentioned Garwood to me, we looked it up online and did'nt find any photos. Now, this guy was a story teller and nobody believed him! Really, John was funny w/ his stories.
    He mentioned a hill by the mansion and I just listened. lol..Does anyone remember a John Brock?
    I'd like to see more photos too!

Sumas

Post Number: 136
    Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:02 am:
    Look up Gar Wood. He was famous for hydroplane racing. You will see lots of stories and photos.

Grayhaven is and always will be a mystic place for me. All developments on its land have been dogged with problems. Edward Grey, Manny Harris, Charles Brown and now Gerome Morgan. There is also a new developer for the port lagoon property. The last two are Kwame buddies.

Grayhaven, is off limits to all citizens.

As stated in a previous post, I resent that our history is gated and secured from the rest of Detroit residents. This land is sacred indian burial ground and until the city recognizes this fact, I see no positives in its future as a marina community that will prosper.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 41
    Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:05 pm:
    Sumas this is new news to me. Sounds like the hill John saw in Swtlorrain66 post, Is it a buryial hill? Mystic , great description. It felt like the first time i played Myst the game on computer. Thanks again friends let the errie-ness continue...

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 42
    Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:10 pm:
    Old_guy do you have any more stories ?

What else can you tell about the inside of the mansion?

Old_guy

Post Number: 5
    Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:16 pm:
    Hey, I thought this thing went dead. One thing I can tell you is that John Collier, took hundreds, if not thousands of beautiful black & white photos during those years at Garwood. He pretty much documented everything for a few years. I've never been able to find him through google though. Unfortunately, one of the most famous American photographers is also named John Collier. The MySpace Garwood page had some info about a book that is supposed to be released, which includes photos by him, but I haven't heard anything else about it. If he ever surfaces, or his photography from that era does, it would pretty much tell the whole story. What really got me interested in this in the first place, was finding that one Free Press article that was written many years ago. It misrepresented the history of that time so badly that it drove me up the wall. I am also surprised that out of all the people that lived there during that time period, there aren't more people with input. It's almost as though everyone disappeared after they left. By the way, I don't remember any hills on the island.
    I do remember that we used to have to take about $500 out of the money we collected at the party every week to pay somebody in the city so we wouldn't get shut down. A few of us questioned where it was really going one week. The guys that took care of paying it out said, fine, we won't pay it this week. That Saturday night I remember standing out on the front lawn during the party. Suddenly there was a chopper hovering over the house. They turned on their floodlights and it was just like daylight. Then, 3 or 4 squad cars drove down the driveway, a couple of cops got out, walked in and said shut off the music, the party's over. Then they left. Naturally, about 600 people in the ballroom thought it was a raid, dropped all the drugs they had in their pockets and headed out the door. Within about 20 minutes the whole place was empty with the exception of a few of us. We looked around the ballroom and there were more bags of different kinds of drugs than I've ever seen. We actually swept them up with push brooms into a pile. After that, we believed these guys and everything returned to normal. Naturally we disposed of everything in a proper manner.

Sumas

Post Number: 137
    Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:58 pm:
    I tried to find John Collier too. You right there is a famous Collier that shows up mostly. I did narrow my search and found a retired [[Free Press, I think) photographer the dates would be about right for age etc. This one lives in Farmington. I read he had done some art shows and planned to work on documentaries in his retirement. I couldn't find any way to contact him. Hope you have more luck than I did

Sumas

Post Number: 138
    Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:01 pm:
    The burial ground I refer to is from Connors creek to fox creek. In the 1700's the French and allied Indians battled the Fox Sauk Nation almost elimininating them as an indian nation. The area between Bewick and Cadieux was all marsh. More than 1000 dead Sauk/Fox Indians remains were left to rot in the marsh and are under the landfill that exists south of Jefferson. Grosse Pointe Park has a marker comemorating this battle. In reality, the Sauk camp was at the location of what is now Mariners park in Detroit. The bulk of the slaughter took place from Connor creek to what is now Fox creek. Greyhaven is the epicenter of this battle. There are specific treaties covering what constitutes a burial ground and this area mentioned is claimed by the Sauk. Since the current treaties were written in the 1980 anything prior is grandfathered. Morgan, the mayor Kwame and Jennifer Granholm were warned by the Fox/Sauk Nation to adher to the treaty and they chose to ignore it. I have a copy of this letter. I also presented an in depth history to the local CDC and in front of City Council. Kenyatta was the only one interested. Someone from PDD Chitty something or other assured council that no such battle existed and no bodies are there. In fact the Fox Creek Massacre is well documented by Burton and many others.

Oh well, another hugh lawsuit will loom for the City. It appears that the Sauk own casinos and have deep pockets. They are involved in other lawsuits regarding their treaty rights but claim they would be getting around to this situation at some point in the future

Swtlorrain66
    Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 20
    Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:42 pm:
    Funny thing about my friend John. This guy liked to tell "TALL tales"...lol. So, nobody believed him...lol. Then you guys mention Garwood and he happened to talk about that hill. Now that John is gone, I feel like a "heel"..lol. I can't apologize to him
    Hey! I saw the demolition pics! NOOOOO..NOT the Latin Quarter!!

Ocmobilexec
    Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 25
    Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:02 am:
    Here's the link to a picture that I've posted a smaller version of before: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?rgn1=vmc_ti;op2=And;rgn2=vmc_ti;g=photojo urnalism;q1=gar%20wood;size=20 ;c=vmc;back=back1211871608;sub view=detail;resnum=82;view=ent ry;lastview=thumbnail;cc=vmc;e ntryid=x-17827;viewid=17827

It offers a rare view of what I believe to be Edward Grey's tudor-style mansion on the mainland side of the canal. I also found a few pix of Mrs. Gar Wood, posed on the mansion grounds with the Gray home in the background. I'll post the link to those soon.

Old_guy

Post Number: 6
    Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:59 pm:
    Well, I was kind of hoping that someone else that lived at the Garwood would show up on the radar here. Maybe nobody's left out there. That's kind of hard to believe though. Hello

Isle...I printed the whole thread last year...After the reunion I was on the Hammock reading like a novel...Great Shit....Peace....Whaler

Default Pals

Just wondering...what happened to Rocketwhit and Sumas; do you guys still monitor this site?

highhat......1kd shot Rocketwhit, and he blew up Sumas' car 37 days later. Haven't heard from either one since then.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    highhat......1kd shot Rocketwhit, and he blew up Sumas' car 37 days later. Haven't heard from either one since then.
    Stnfrnt! you have such an entertaining imagination , I cannot wait to read your first mystery novel..
    hmm well , then again probably your first Mystery/Horror novel.

Sumas is a very active member of DY and a very talented researcher, writer among other talents.

Rocketwhit lost the love of his life and is still healing from that loss. It seems that no one from the time period that he hung around the Garwood has announced themselves.
    He has posted a few times on the new DY [[I think) . He is missed and we have all wondered what happened to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    Isle...I printed the whole thread last year...After the reunion I was on the Hammock reading like a novel...Great Shit....Peace....Whaler
    Right on and for sure Whaler.. the things we wrote also still amaze me.

Things that were implied , sensitivities tested, etc. etc. etc.
    Peace back at ya Whaler & Kim

Now lets see if highhat comes clean with some of his activities at the mansion, okay! okay! I'm just stiring the pot.

Bentspur you have been pretty quiet, I know there are still more people out there who are just not posting... to all of them hello and we would like to hear from you... PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrona View Post
    Candy hurry and pack for the trip east, bring some snow balls,
    Headed Northwest to Alaska first for the snow balls, the stuff is deminishing here.

Goin' North....the RUSH is on!

Waaaayyupp Noorrrrth...I wonder who sang the bass stuff?...

Default Pals

Just how clean are we talkin` about here//...Some of this inside stuff will not be available until....Just who is supposed to be writing this book? My collaboration fee is open for bid...as I`ve said all along, my memory from then is very lucid at times...

Quote Originally Posted by highhat View Post
    Just wondering...what happened to Rocketwhit and Sumas; do you guys still monitor this site?
    Don't know about Rocketwhit, but I speak to Sumas occasionally. We have a mutual friend who passed away recently [[Sumas was the caregiver as well as the executor and heir), so Sumas has been busy with legal and estate matters.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    See, and you guys think I'm just a harmless old queen. Don't mess with me 'cause I'm the real Godmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post
    Stnfrnt! you have such an entertaining imagination , I cannot wait to read your first mystery novel..
    hmm well , then again probably your first Mystery/Horror novel.

Sumas is a very active member of DY and a very talented researcher, writer among other talents.

Rocketwhit lost the love of his life and is still healing from that loss. It seems that no one from the time period that he hung around the Garwood has announced themselves.
    He has posted a few times on the new DY [[I think) . He is missed and we have all wondered what happened to him.
    Isle, thanks for your comments about Sumas. You are correct. You forgot to mention Suma's and partner's talent for throwing back some Crown Royal. They were to be my guests at the first annual reunion, but sadly, were unable to attend.

Set list [appx] Can`t be so bad
    Strange things gather in a Tribe
    I hear you knockin`
    David..."movin through the streets"
    Too much to do
    Volunteers

Rocketwhit...I`m sorry for your loss...Your perspective on 'all things ' Gar Wood were enabling for me to resume a link to my past...I thank you so very much!...Sumas ...you are the man...what a job coming up with your info...thank you kind sir ...

Default Pals

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    See, and you guys think I'm just a harmless old queen. Don't mess with me 'cause I'm the real Godmother.
    You know you can still get in trouble talkin about " Housepainting" in Detroit, besides we don`t think of you as harmless...

"North to Alaska goin north the rush is on....." Johnny Horton 1959......Died a year later in 1960 in a car crash ........ base singer was probably a Nashville guy named J.D. Sumner .... [[Jordanaire) ........not much credit given to support folks [[singers, pickers, etc.) back then ...... J.D. sang on hundreds of records through out his brilliant career...........that's my two cents worth...... GDGT

By the way "Sumas" was a woman and I assume she still is ..... But hey who knows these days ....... We did some really neat sparing with her a while back ....... Hope she is doing well and continuing her brilliant research projects.......

Jeeze...I love the bottom harmonizing on the late 50`s early 60`s records...The Sink the Bismark song is a beauty too.

[quote=gash;141020]By the way "Sumas" was a woman and I assume she still is ..... But hey who knows these days ....... We did some really neat sparing with her a while back ...
    Well... she has been in the company of 1KLSD...but I digress...My apologies if warranted Mz...Sumas...you are still the man!