Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 286 of 432 FirstFirst ... 186 236 276 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 296 336 386 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,150 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Isle....Great stuff..Bringing it back arround again...hope everyone is well..Peace...Whaler

Hey 1kd! Are you rockin' the sailing world now?

SEEN AT THE SCENE: `Meet the Skippers' event welcomes yachtmen

The excitement of the Long Beach Yacht Club's big extravaganza, the Congressional Cup, began with the "Meet the Skippers" dinner.
    By Shirley Wild
    Posted: 04/10/2010 09:32:24 PM PDT

Attachment 5757
    The Jewish Family and Children's Service honored former State Sen. Betty “Liver Spot” Karnette, left; former Detroit bar owner “Skipper”, and former Long Beach City Councilwoman Renee “Goose Me Again” Simon at its Service Awards Brunch at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. [[Shirley Wild)
    Last edited by stnfrnt; June-22-10 at 05:54 PM.

I spoke with Brian 'Capn' Nemo' McDonald a while ago. He asked me to say hello and pass his greetings to the GarWoodians. We may have lunch and visit this weekend. He's coming to Detroit for his mother's funeral. She passed away last week. He said he'll be in St. Clair with his daughter, Markie, on saturday and sunday. He's still not online and said he's not in a hurry. It was ironic he called because I found a couple of Michigan Music, Detroit Music Times and Michigan Musician magazines in my files, this afternoon. When I opened one of them, I found a couple of tickets to Willie Dixon at the Soup Kitchen Saloon, dated 11-28-81. I'll post them after I scan them. It was a show he booked and I ran while I was General Manager of his establishment. He's in good health, but not doing real well due to the recent deaths of his oldest daugher, last year, and his mom. He said he's spending much time with his younger daughter and his son, who lives in Chicago.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; April-11-10 at 09:52 PM.

1kd.....give Brian a big shout out for me if you see him. He's one of my favorite characters from those Garwood days.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    1kd.....give Brian a big shout out for me if you see him. He's one of my favorite characters from those Garwood days.
    I'm hoping to see him this weekend while he's in town for his mother's funeral. I'll pass your shout out to him. I haven't seen his daughter, Markie, since she was a baby. She's 12 or 13 now. That's always fun - seeing the kids after they've grown. I knew her mom, Renee, long before Markie was born, when she and Brian were dating.

Pictures from the Festifools Parade this afternoon on Main Street in A2.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; May-13-10 at 01:06 AM.

Hey 1kd! Are you rockin' the sailing world now?

SEEN AT THE SCENE: `Meet the Skippers' event welcomes yachtmen

The excitement of the Long Beach Yacht Club's big extravaganza, the Congressional Cup, began with the "Meet the Skippers" dinner.
    By Shirley Wild
    Posted: 04/10/2010 09:32:24 PM PDT

Attachment 5757
    The Jewish Family and Children's Service honored former State Sen. Betty “Liver Spot” Karnette, left; former Detroit bar owner “Skipper”, and former Long Beach City Councilwoman Renee “Goose Me Again” Simon at its Service Awards Brunch at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. [[Shirley Wild)
    You are too f%*#@+g much, Stoner. I just opened this one. It's hilarious. I'll definitely save it. Wait until Christy sees it, she'll fall off her chair, laughing.

-S- your in for a treats with that visit, soon the whole gang or Tribe shall show up.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrona View Post
    -S- your in for a treats with that visit, soon the whole Tribe shall show up.
    There you go...The GarWoodsian tribe.

Its fun reading the old writings, glad some of you enjoyed the post

sure is nice to see the current photo's posted by 1kd

and long overdue welcome to high hat

highhat ... funny that u mention Lake Orion I took someone [[a friend of Stony"s) but I can't remember his name to Lake Orion in my little beetle bug VW car. It seems I remember four people went on this adventure because it was spring and we were bored and antsy.

Can u imagine being at the GW mansion and being bored, on a sunny beautiful day, so I suggested a ride out in the country to a place my parents used to take us [[me & 6 siblings) on summer vacations . It was a small island on the lake with four cottages and a wooden walking bridge to the mainland.
    I believe the island was titled "The Isle of Babette". It really was a very enjoyable day.
    I remember thinking at the time how nice it was to be able to share the time, the use of my dad's car, etc. Somehow I seem to recall that one of the people in the group had never been beyond the State Fair boundaries of Detroit or better known as 8 mile rd.
    I also remember that I had not driven outside of the city myself so there were a lot of firsts for everyone that day.. ah the adventures of independence!

"She'll hand to you a stick of incence, Happy motorcycle engines roar, back into a crowd of happy people.....Strange things gather in a tribe"

Stnft, Fell free to correct the lyrics.........GDGT

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrona View Post
    -S- your in for a treats with that visit, soon the whole gang or Tribe shall show up.
    Thanks Rona. You and Highat are the most important ones, since we didn't see you last year. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a few new faces show up here at DY and make it to our reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by highhat View Post
    There you go...The GarWoodsian tribe.
    I kept saying Gar Wooders. I think it was 'Machine Gun' Mike Kelly came up with GarWoodians. The Fraternal Order of GarWoodians. Maybe Stoney thought that one up in one of his all nighters at sea. I'm not sure, but it sure stuck. FOGGER's. Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post

highhat ... funny that u mention Lake Orion I took someone [[a friend of Stony"s) but I can't remember his name to Lake Orion in my little beetle bug VW car. It seems I remember four people went on this adventure because it was spring and we were bored and antsy.

Can u imagine being at the GW mansion and being bored, on a sunny beautiful day, so I suggested a ride out in the country to a place my parents used to take us [[me & 6 siblings) on summer vacations . It was a small island on the lake with four cottages and a wooden walking bridge to the mainland.
    I believe the island was titled "The Isle of Babette". It really was a very enjoyable day.
    I remember thinking at the time how nice it was to be able to share the time, the use of my dad's car, etc. Somehow I seem to recall that one of the people in the group had never been beyond the State Fair boundaries of Detroit or better known as 8 mile rd.
    I also remember that I had not driven outside of the city myself so there were a lot of firsts for everyone that day.. ah the adventures of independence!
    Nice story, Isle. There's a book about Lake Orion you and Highat would probably like : Images of Lake Orion by James Ingram & Lori Grove. Order it from your library and buy it if you like it. It's not a very long or drawn out book, but it tells about how the area developed, the summer homes, amusement parks and the islands. There are some interesting photos also.

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post

We still haven't had our 'art show'. Maybe this year. Are you planning to bring anything to our reunion?

I'll bring Art......he's my sponsor.

What's 'Art' going to show? Uh oh, better not go there.

Can you imagine being bored at the Garwood. Went I first moved in I lived there all by my self for about two months . I t was more lonely than bored. I was only 19 it was scary at night. I was the only one with long hair. The guy that run the house one night he chase me round the ballroom trying to cut my hair.

Hoover
    Last edited by stillrockin; April-13-10 at 07:27 AM.

Stilllrockin...Hahahahha...That must have been a trip..When I left town in 72 I heard most of you guys were moving out of the Garwood...When did you leave????..It sure had a great run...Peace...Whaler

Default Pals

I can`t bring Art . My father was never too keen on the whole trip we were undertaking...especially after meeting Larry....He still gets `that` look when I mention I`m coming to Detroit to see the tribe.

Default Pals

Geez: Overdue doesn`t quite cover that..Isle-of -fun. 1KLSN..Jim Ingram`s dad owned the hardware store across from the youth center in town...I left my drum kit in there the summer of `65...Mr. Ingram would give me the key so I could practice...Times sure have changed...
    Last edited by highhat; April-13-10 at 08:08 AM.

Default Pals

It seems that this site is averaging 400 hits a day.Man, that is incredible...So many people are caught up in this dialogue...maybe it`s because we were able to live a life we chose ...not one that was forced upon us...It`s an escape from the bullshit we now have to face on a daily basis....ROCK ON!

Tonight I'm working for Donald Trump at Mar-A Lago in Palm Beach . It's my last date of the year there. They close for the summer.

Hoover is stillrockin

Thanks Firstlady..a couple pics down is Teds..I started working there in 1964...I use to hang in Lake Orion during the 60's some friends from Bloomfield Hills parents had cottages [[summer houses) there ..we got into a bit a trouble smokin weed with the residents kids ahh the days of youth..Highhat nice to read your posts..Cold in the "D" today leaving for the Tigers game Brrrrrrrr....Peace...Whaler