Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 285 of 432 FirstFirst ... 185 235 275 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 295 335 385 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,125 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Default Stonefront

Any chance Eugene will be there?

Zeeeeeeero.

Default sarah jones and the dap kings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T9WydJK7zU
    they sang on the movie up in the air

Larry google Gene Harris I play him my first hour people went crazy.

Hoover is stillrockin The ages were 60 to 80 the person who had the party give me the cd to used for the party.
    Last edited by stillrockin; April-10-10 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stillrockin View Post

Hoover is stillrockin The ages were 60 to 80 the person who had the party give me the cd to used for the party.
    So when they did the line dance the Stroll..did they actually use their strollers ? I don`t mean that in a negative way..".God loves rock and roll"
    Last edited by highhat; April-10-10 at 11:56 AM.

Default Stlrkn

I can just see it...pointed shoes with Cuban heels...bald heads with a wisp of a ducktail...where there any Poodle skirts?

My Village people hats went over really good with the YMCA.

Hoover

Tonight it's 20 to 80 years olds EWF CW Lady GAGA Black eye pea's.

Hoover is stillrockin

Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through January 16, 2008 « Previous Next »

Rocketwhit
    Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 1
    Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 8:53 pm:
    Iam looking for any one who has been to, has photos or true tails to tell. My Friends and i visited the island in 1978 or 79. Ken, Sharon, Debbie, Jim. If you see this it is I Roger it would be great to see you all or to hear from you ••• It was one of the greatest days of my life!•••

Bigb23
    Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 59
    Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 8:57 pm:
    This a great site - Stick around and good luck.

Patrick
    Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5181
    Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:26 pm:
    Look under the "HOF" section at the very bottom. I dug up a ton of info at the Burton on it. I need to scan a few things when I get the time.

Reddog289
    Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 104
    Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:04 am:
    i have always heard about Gar Wood, his name comes up a bit in the history of Wayne. more detroit exploring to do.

Pgn421
    Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 209
    Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:23 am:
    we had a lot of fun down at Gar Wood, years ago cruising on the island. Back in the early 70`s,.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 2
    Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 3:22 pm:
    Patrick And Those Who answered My Plea, Thankyou. I Have To Say I'Am Not To Computer Savey. If You Could Lend A Little More Assistance In Retrieving your Info For Me It Will Be Greatly Appreciated. I'm Not Sure Were to Find "HFO" Section. Thanks Once Again Reddog289, Pgn421. Cruising The Island Was A Real Big Thing For Us Also. Special Thanks to Bigb23 The First To Answer The 8-Mile Kids Thread. Thanks For The Invite To Join And I Hope All Is Well For Your Holidays. Roger aka Rocketwhit

Ndavies
    Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2900
    Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 3:28 pm:
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/19632.html?10759339 23

Silas
    Username: Silas

Post Number: 3
    Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:21 pm:
    I remember going to the Garwood Mansion back in the early 70s a couple times.
    Friends of mine new some bikers that were living there.
    They were having a party there with a live band and we got invited.
    It was a huge place on the river with an indoor swimming pool.
    The place had definitely seen better days. It was pretty run down as I remember.

Eastside61
    Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 598
    Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:43 pm:
    My parents were married at the GWM in 1937......I spent several christmas parties at the GWM and loved going downstairs to check out the indoor swimming pool.....it was a very elegant place

7_and_kelly_kid
    Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:17 pm:
    I always thought the indoor boat house was cool.......what an elegant way to live..

Lefty2
    Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 764
    Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:31 pm:
    So sad to see that beauty in the ruins graveyard.
    I would love to own a Gar Wood mahogany boat, some of which were a favorite of the liquor runners along the river, but thats another story.
    Steve W. will find out.

Eaglelv
    Username: Eaglelv

Post Number: 20
    Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:51 pm:
    My paternal Grand mother grew up in the house across the canal from the Garwood Mansion in the 20s and 30s. Her maiden name was Koerber of the Koerber Brewery Co. The last time I visited the abandoned home was in the late 70's after the city bought up all those properties under immanent domain, what a shame the place had tons of character but after the riots the city made major change for the worse. I also used to ice skate in the old fisher mansion boat house at the foot of lenox, fun times.

Rocketwhit

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:00 am:
    Ok, Here is my story..
    This is my biggest adventure day of my life.
    It was 1977 fall or early winter. Some friends
    and i crossed the two lane bridge that led to Gar Wood's Mansion, As you know it is on the
    island of Greyhaven. Just across the Bridge
    I recall we steped through a hole in the fence
    and around and under the bridge, there they were
    the private bowling alleys.. long time past its last 10th frame. Although the ball return ramp was still visable. One great thing about this excursion was that we started out down the half mile trek to the mansion just before day break and stayed untill late that night. We walked up
    the curved frount stairs, the moon still yet shining clear and bright we steped into the... just like the story of cinderella... The BALL ROOM!! SON OF A @#$%! There is more to come
    What a great site!!

Ocmobilexec
    Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 1
    Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:24 pm:
    Here's my recollection of the mansion: in around 1971, my folks owned a very big wooden sailboat that they were renovating at Gregory's Marina, across the river from the Detroit
    Yacht Club. While the sailboat didn't yet have a mast on it, we took it from Gregory's and needed to store it somewhere temporarily, like for a few months. My parents were somehow able to get permission to store it in Wood's large and uninhabited boat house for part of a season. Might have been winter - I can't remember because I was only about 9 then. What I do remember, though, is the big indoor pool. As I recall, it was in the basement of the mansion. I think there was even an underground tunnel between the boathouse and the main house. You'd go through this door and suddenly you were in a subterranean grotto of white tile and sconce lamps on the walls lighting up this big pool. I never swam in it nor did I see any of the rest of the home's interior, but I will never forget playing in the boathouse. I think this was probably at about the same time the place was getting torn up by assorted gangs and thugs. For those interested, the mansion is actually featured on a horror movie produced in the early 70's called "Death Bed: The Bed That Eats". You'll see the grand ballroom [[bigger than that of the Detroit Yacht Club where Wood was the first commodore), the pipe organ, etc. I have attached a pic of the mansion from the WSU Detroit Virtual Archives. Looks to be around the time construction was complete, judging by the early model of automobiles parked around it.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 5
    Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:02 am:
    OCMOBILEXEC

The best pic yet ••• can you dig up any more?
    how about some in side?

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 6
    Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:32 am:
    Ok here is instalment #2

The amazement of the grand ball room still looming in our eyes we walked slowly in awh.
    through an arch way i recall being to the right we were looking at some intricate wood working
    and around the corner was what looked to be a closet but no it was the in house private phone booth. steping inside closing the sliding door i was begining to feel the big S starting to appear on the front of my pink floyd home made tee shirt. just to cool . If my memory serves me right to the left archway there was a study with a fire place i could almost stand strait up in side. all along the second story of the ball room were bed rooms that looked out over the ballroom. Knowing the Outlaws biker gang inhabited the mansion at one time around the late 60s and early 70s was eerie. The stairs leading to the second floor in the hall way i can still see the caption on the wall going up ANIMAL LOVES SARA ! this led to a bedroom with some popular spencer type black light posters not hanging but PAINTED on the wall one being the keep on trucking dude someone was very talented at painting because they were just like looking at the posters... instalment #3 will follow soon. rocketwhit

Lefty2

Post Number: 908
    Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:08 pm:
    in the early seventies, it was a party spot for boaters to pull up to and do drugs or whatever else.

Kathinozarks
    Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1056
    Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:44 pm:
    Welcome, all you great new posters!

These kinds of stories and pictures are the reason I love DY. I can't wait to read more and hopefully see more pix. Please continue

Name:  124901.jpg
Views: 3232
Size:  38.2 KB
    River View

Name:  124910.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  21.8 KB

Grounds View
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  125029.jpg
Views: 3459
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  125030.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  125031.jpg
Views: 3078
Size:  41.3 KB

Ocmobilexec

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:27 am:
    I have some more pix to share. Amazing house... I wish someone knew who designed it, had more pix or more details about it. Gar Wood is not well-known mogul outside of Detroit history, unlike Henry Ford, the Dodges, etc. I remember being at the Detroit Yacht Club in the early 70's - folks were saying lightning struck the place and they could see it burning from the clubhouse. Boats left the docks to go over to Grayhaven to see the fire close up. Sad. I understand Gar Wood actually owned Fisher Island in Florida, back when it was still a private island, and that is where he passed away.

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 4
    Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:36 am:
    here's a few more

Ocmobilexec

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:36 am:
    here's a few more

Ocmobilexec

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:48 am:
    another

Lowell
    Board Administrator
    Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4460
    Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 2:32 am:
    Welcome to the forum Rocketwhit and Ocmobilexec!

Great introductory posts and knowledge.

Reddog289
    Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 209
    Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:09 am:
    what a house, i once read that Gar Wood had a company that built garbage trucks in Wayne Mi. i need to read up on him . my 83 yr old dad still brings up his name.

Gargoyle
    Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 96
    Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:32 pm:
    Great pictures, Oc! I've never seen any of those before. Who are the guys playing in the third picture?

I have only the dimmest memories of this place. I was there one night after the Grande or the Eastown, can't remember which. I was most certainly under the influence and I'm sure my perceptions were warped, but I believe your recollections about the layout are correct.

It was such a sad ending for so beautiful a house.

Leob
    Username: Leob

Post Number: 109
    Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:09 pm:
    These photos are from a friend who once lived in the mansion in the early seventies. I am certain she would not mind sharing these. I'll suggest she stop by and share some stories.

Post Number: 772
    Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:35 pm:
    To all : It was my grandfather Ed Wood who invented the hydraulic hoist that made trucks able to dump their loads..I have the actual patent hanging in my office today....it was Gar who expanded the concepts for various trucks and it was George who ran the welding shop where they put the things together...George Wood also raced the Miss America's too...and beat Gar once and they didn;t talk to each other for about a year....

Ed lived on Marlborough - George on Chalmers - both below Jefferson and Gar at the Mansion....The family had great Christmas parties at the Mansion in the 40 - 50's....

There were 11 brothers and sisters in the Wood family and I also have a picture of all the brothers standing in front of Miss America VII along with Orlin Johnson who was Gar's engineer on board with him when they raced.....all wearing greasy, oily gear.

My younger brother has a Miss America VI crew uniform that used to hang in my basement in Detroit and we would wear it when we needed to change oil in our cars during high school..

Gianni
    Username: Gianni

Post Number: 340
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:00 am:
    http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=128&categ ory=locations

I never made it when the mansion was standing. Only thing I ever saw were the two pillars at the entrance to the driveway that said "Gar Wood." Beyond that everything was leveled. But I was on the island and at the Fisher [[Krishna) Mansion in the 80's many times and got a feel for how cool it was. There is still at least one of the old mansions on Grayhaven island that was for sale only a few ago [[Super Bowl days) for like 3 or 4 hundred K. As the other thread says "is this a joke?" Someone who didn't think it was a joke and who is smarter [[and has more money) than us bought it. I tried to find the link from the real estate site showing the place, totally refurbished, but it's gone as last I heard someone bought it and is living there.

You could take your boat from the backyard of this house directly to the Saint Lawrence Seaway and if so inclined sail to anywhere in the world.

Not bad if you ask me.

Karenk
    Username: Karenk

Post Number: 55
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:50 pm:
    I remember the biker parties from 1968 or 69. The indoor pool [[empty) was still beautiful in a creepy sort of way with the wall sconces for lighting. It was sad even then with rooms painted in purple or black and beads in the doorways and drunks everywhere.

My Dad told stories of Gar Wood running booze across at the river and slipping into his boathouse and closing the door. Got away every time from being caught.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 7
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:48 pm:
    I must say that these replys and pics have blown me absolutly away. the responces i have been waiting for. thanks to all for firing me and the site up. great joy showing my bass player the new additions to the site, he's heard my tales countless times. i really cant tell you the uplift i got today from your help as i lost my wife of 26 years dec 28 she has heard my garwood
    adventure a long time. my classic tale will continue i have more to tell and will soon A VERY BIG THANKYOU to all i will look foward to more stories and pics THANKS ROCKET!••• P.S. I'm preaty sure the bands name was garwood mansion or possibly gray stone
    Just so much fun to read..
    the name of the band was and is STONEFRONT.. not sure who posted this pic but it was inserted on this old forum page.
    Name:  124905.jpg
Views: 5653
Size:  29.0 KB

more photo's that go with the text above

Name:  124905.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  29.0 KB

Attachment 5733

Name:  125033.jpg
Views: 4864
Size:  47.7 KB

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 8
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:12 pm:
    The names on the pics Ruth Hoffman ? Are you out there Ruth ? Or my old friends Ken and sharon wilkoes, Debbie brush i miss you 8 mile cats i hope you see this. Rocketwhit

Cman710
    Username: Cman710

Post Number: 408
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:38 pm:
    Rocketwhit,

Welcome to the Forum! Thanks for spurring a great discussion!

For this non-Detroiter, can someone explain to me exactly where the mansion was?

Charles

Cman710
    Username: Cman710

Post Number: 409
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:49 pm:
    Well, I think I figured out the answer on my own. Here is a picture of a portion of the area today. Is the mansion at center the Fisher mansion?
    Attachment 5737

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 7
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:57 pm:
    Wow, thanks for all of the great picture posts! Like walking back in time. Here's kind of a sad picture of the site today; you can still see the water inlets for the boathouse and the slip for visiting yachts. Now, the property is covered with cheaply built homes... the grandeur of the mansion long gone.

Attachment 5738

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 8
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:07 pm:
    Eastside61, are you one of the Wood brothers who graduated GP South High around '79 or '80? I graduated in '81 and knew a couple of Woods [[John was one of the bros I think?) from Grosse Pointe Memorial Church. I recall their dad owned Wood Motors.

Eastside61

Post Number: 776
    Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:17 pm:
    OcX- They are relatives.......My mother is the daughter of Ed Wood - one of Gar's brothers...her wedding was held at the mansion in '37. There dad did own Woods motors....
    Attachment 5739

Lefty2

Post Number: 923
    Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:07 am:
    cman710, et al, no you picture was back on Grayhaven.
    Gar woods was on the waterfront. rob wood is an architect in grosse pointe who is also related to gar wood. See forefront home.
    Also a picture of alfred brusg ford and Elisabeth Luise Reuther prior to giving it to the Krishnas in 1983.

Attachment 5740

Attachment 5741

Name:  125360.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  34.4 KB

Attachment 5743
    Leob
    Username: Leob

Post Number: 110
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:54 pm:
    From the Rosenfeld Collection which has great number of Detroit Hydro racing pix.
    http://www.rosenfeldcollection.com/

The Wood Bros. Gar is second from Left

Gar in 1921 with Miss America II

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1057
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:37 pm:
    Why did they give it to the Krishna's? I should remember, but I don't. Mr. Ford and Ms. Reuther look very happy in that pic of them.

Mikem
    Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3558
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:42 pm:
    Because they were Krishnas.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1058
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:51 pm:
    Oh. Then the Krishnas left and Ford and Reuther didn't want it? None of the family wanted it?

Mikem

Post Number: 3559
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:16 pm:
    Umm, just so we're clear, the mansion that Alfred Brush Ford bought and turned into the Bhaktivedanta Cultural Center [[bottom picture in Lefty's post) was not Gar Wood's. It was the estate of Lawrence Fisher.

http://www.detroitiskconlive.c om/aboutus.html

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1059
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:27 pm:
    Thanks, Mikem. I did get confused for a moment there.

Thanks for the link. I'm glad to see that the Krishna folk still use the Fisher place.

So then, why did the Wood family abandon their mansion? How can that happen?

Mikem

Post Number: 3560
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:29 pm:
    Did you read Gianni's link? It will answer your questions.

Lefty2

Post Number: 942
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:05 pm:
    Al Ford was kind of a, what do you say, real care free person with high ideals who took on the George Harrison type of thinking the led the Beatles to India. He, like some other fords donated thier wares to ideal type causes. I think he is also developing land currently in Nepal. Someplace near that Bob Seeger sang about.

Vas
    Username: Vas

Post Number: 871
    Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:49 pm:
    My friends and I had great times there right before they put up the McMansions that line the waterfront. We would have fires there and camp out for hours on end, just our own private park. The front stairs to the place still sat there as well as a bathtub and assorted rubble.
    It was isolated and the perfect spot for us to get away to.
    We were sad to see it go. Ghetto weeds and all.

Funny how many different experiences people had there and in what capacity.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 9
    Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 7:17 am:
    To touch on the pic of the pipe organ,the pic of the band playing is is great, an inside shot of the grand ballroom. At the other end of the room runing up and down were very long what i recall to be 2x6 or 2x8 slates of wood, that we grasped hold of and pulled open and closed. they were breathers for the pipe organ and behind them were the wire posts for that helped create the sound.I dont remember how we got back there but it was like a secret passage or hiden door way. the picture of the pool is my favorite as of yet. by the time we toured the mansion the basement was told to be flooded and a conventional entry could not be obtained. But here is what i can remember we found. Behind the organ louvers in the hidden room at the far end there was a very narrow raw lumber stairway, Maybe 18-24 inches wide leading down towards the basement or sub floor area. That i recall went like two floors strait down. So spooky that only three of us men would slowly descend to explore the secret passage. We were equiped with two cameras that day but only 1 flashlight with dimming batterys, And zippo's for light in pitch black underground corridors. This must have been the white tile passage O.C. spoke about because i remember the white tile. we were very excited to venture on into the pitch black darkness in search of the pool room, But the eerie darkness and the glowing eyeballs of small dog or tomcat size Detroit river rats that made the glow of our Zippo lighters sent us back up the small staircase at lightning pace. needless to say our search for the pool room ended with a heart pounding scare that took a moment or two to recover from. More yet to come ... I'm glad to see the respounces that have stirred, for this was truely one of the best days of my life. Can anybody pass on verifying info about my memorie as it was along time ago? tell us your tales for there are more people than we know that the mansion has touched their lives permently. another ROCKETWHIT installment due soon thanks all you Gar wooder's

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1063
    Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:38 pm:
    Mikem, I guess I didn't see g's link. Thanks.

Thanks, Rocketwhit for the stories. I'm loving them.

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 9
    Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:02 pm:
    AWESOME stories, ROCKETWHIT. Your colorful descriptions bring a long-gone ghost of a house to life! Does anyone know how many mansions ultimately existed on Grayhaven Island? I believe there were only ever three... Wood's home, plus the two smaller ones that still stand. Any picture I've ever seen only show a few houses, and the news stories indicate that after the Great Depression, the area was 'crippled'. That would have been after these three homes were already built in the 20's. Off of the island but in the immediate vicinity were the two Fisher mansions on the Grayhaven canals, one of which still stands. I'm curious to know who else resided on the island, or if it was largely undeveloped as I suspect.

Eaglelv
    Username: Eaglelv

Post Number: 23
    Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:32 pm:
    To Eastside61
    Did you know any of the Koerber [[Brewery) Family Kids? They lived in the Home directly across the canal from the Garwood Mansion. My Grandmother Elizabeth and Great Uncle William [[Bucky) Koerber lived there in the 30's and attended St Martins. If you have any memories of that time I'd love to hear them [[lyleeagleIV@aol.com).

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 10
    Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 1:50 pm:
    Leob is this the same ruth hoffman that has went missing in river roughe in 86?

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 11
    Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:17 pm:
    does anyone know how to find the blue prints or building plans for the mansion ??

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 10
    Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 9:24 pm:
    Photojournalist John Collier has some pics on www.stonefrontmusic.com. If you go to that site, there's a reference to an upcoming book about the band, Stonefront who apparently used the mansion extensively in the early 70's after Gar left it behind. The site alludes to a forthcoming book which will be about the band and presumably, the house as well.

Otter
    Username: Otter

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:59 am:
    I am absolutely fascinated by this kind of history in Detroit, and I'd like to thank all the people who contributed with links or personal stories.

David

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 12
    Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 2:49 pm:
    To my new friend OCMOBILEXEC your assistance has been invaluable. a very big pat on the back my friend. I eagerly await your next thread every time i finish your prior thread. Thankyou again for everything. Of course a thankyou to all in Detroityes family. Lowell what a great site thanks to you SIR.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 13
    Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 5:06 pm:
    O.K. SOMEONE MENTIONED THE MARBLE SHOWERS. THIS IS ONE OF THE CLEAREST MEMORIES AND THE COOLIST TOCOME TO MIND. MY GOOD FRIEND KEN CALLED ME INTO A PART OF ONE OF THE REST ROOMS, IT WAS A SHOWER COMPLEATLY MADE OF SOLID MARBLE HANGING DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STALL WAS ELECTRIC WIRING AND A LIGHT BULB SOCKET. HERE IS THE COOL PART INGRAVED IN THE MARBLE WITH ONE HANDLE TO TURN LIKE NEWER MAKES IS INSTRUCTIONS, COLD - WARM - SCAULDING NOT HOT BUT SCAULDING... I REMBER 3 KITCHENS TO COUNT WITH FUNCTIONING DUMB WAITERS NO-ONE WAS BRAVE ENOUGH TO RIDE.. ROCKETWHIT

Summertime1
    Username: Summertime1

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:15 pm:
    These pictures of Garwood mansion ar great. I wonder who ruth hoffman is? i never went there, but people i grew up with that were older did. I remember the stories of Iggy, Bob Seger, etc performing there. How did "Hippies" get to live there?

Living_in_the_d
    Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 16
    Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:55 pm:
    Yeah, One of my good friends is a Wood, and that was "Uncle Gar".

Eastside61

Post Number: 832
    Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 3:59 pm:
    L in the D: Which Wood family member is it??????

Philbert
    Username: Philbert

Post Number: 333
    Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:25 pm:

Philbert
    Username: Philbert

Post Number: 333
    Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:25 pm:
    Ok this question has been nagging me. How did this band, Stonefront, afford this house and the utilities?

scuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through February 15, 2008 « Previous Next »

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 13
    Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:17 am:
    PHILBERT - I think what happened [[and maybe someone in Gar Wood's family can corroborate) is that Gar left the mansion somewhere in the late 60's to move to Fisher Island in Florida. I believe he gave the house to the City of Detroit for whatever the reason. The mansion sat empty for a time and was in disrepair. Then, was eventually kind of taken over by bands and bikers. They moved in and used the place... and it ultimately became trashed until it burned down in the early 70s. I'm guessing that whomever used the place probably didn't pay any utilities if they were even left on... seems like folks were more or less camped out at the house.

[[Message edited by ocmobilexec on January 30, 2008)

Jluke
    Username: Jluke

Post Number: 4
    Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:48 am:
    Didn't it get intially trashed when rented out for some national biker convention in the early 70's?

Summertime1

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:19 pm:
    All i can say, is that you were a real true "Hippy" if you went to Garwood Mansion partys.

Brenda
    Username: Brenda

Post Number: 45
    Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:19 am:
    Summertim1: Yes in deed and I was one lady who visited there many times....the place was awesome and I enjoyed the many people I met there....the music, the smell, the mansion and listening to "boot leg" Beatles..........I lived on Eastlawn, so this was a quick drive home too--before cells, lol...............had lots of fun!!

Bulletmagnet
    Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 961
    Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:32 am:
    Welcome, Rocketwhit. I have some photos of Gar Wood from about that time [[78-79) in my photo archive, and will try to dig them out for you. Please be patient. I have thousands to look through.

Brenda

Post Number: 47
    Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 4:53 pm:
    Bulletmagnet: Great, can't wait for you to share them on this site for wonderful memories of Garwood when we were young...still young at heart!! I remember a friend named Larry..sorry can't recall the last name after 30 some odd years, but he rented a room there and he drove a green cougar. I am glad we can keep memories alive of the Detroit that wasn't burnt out, dangerous, polarized and ugly........so many years ago.......but the thoughts of Garwood always bring a smile to my face.

Summertime1

Post Number: 28
    Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:24 pm:
    Brenda, good for you! I was not 16 until 1971. I think the fun was over by then. The people i knew that ent there were older than me and had the connections to get in, or that is what i thought at the time. geri in SCS

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 20
    Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 6:35 pm:
    Bulletmagnet i would spaz over some pics of the mansion indoors will wait as long as it takes wow me daddy

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 15
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:57 pm:
    Same here, Bullet... we're all anxiously awaiting to see what you've got! How about posting a teaser pic or two?

Living_in_the_d
    Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 44
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:30 pm:
    Yeah, E.S. 61, sorry it took Me so long to get back to this thread, That would have been "Chuck".

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 24
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:10 pm:
    whats up poster OCMOBILEXEC GREAT SUGGESTION A TEASER OR TWO BULLET... CANT WAIT

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 25
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:15 pm:
    BRENDA PLEASE TELL WHAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SAW ANYTHING YOU REMEMBER ABOUT THE HOUSE I LOVE THIS STUFF AND I LOVED THE MANSION ROCKET

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 26
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:39 pm:
    OK A NEW INSTALLMENT IN ROCKETWHIT'S GARWOOD ADVENTURE SERIES... WHILE TOURING THE MANSION IN GREAT AWH, THER WERE A HAND FULL IN OUR GROUP. ACROSS THE BALLROOM SOME ONE SAW A FIGURE IN A BLUE JACKET WE THOUGHT IT WAS THE BOYS OR D C P BECAUSE IT AFTERALL WAS PRIVATE PROPERTY POSTED NO TRESPASS. SO WE SCATTERED TO HIDE. AFTER SEEING IT WAS NOT THE POLICE, WE SAW IT WAS A MAN AND HIS WIFE HAD CAME BY RIVER IN A SMALL BOAT. BEING VERY HARD TO MOVE WITHOUT NOISE DUE TO BROKEN GLASS AND DEBRIES EVERYWHERE WE MANAGED TO FOLLOW THEM AROUND THE MANSION WITHOUT BE DETECTED. AT THE FINISH OF THEIR TOUR THEY BOARDED THEIR BOAT AND WERE LOOKING AT THE MANSION FROM THE RIVER OUT FRONT WHEN WE DECIDED TO REVEAL OUR PRESANCE TO THE OTHER TRESPASSER'S
    SOMEONE SCURRIED PAST AN UPSTAIRS WINDOW, IN THE VIEW OF THE BONNOCULARS THE FEMALE SHOWED UTTER SHOCK AND AMAZEMENT POSSIBLE FEAR AT THE SIGHT OF NOW AT LEAST SIX TO EIGHT PEOPLE OR GHOST'S DASHING PAST WINDOWS HERE THERE EVERYWHERE THEY THEN MADE HASTE IN RETURNING TO WHERE THEY SAILED FROM I'M SURE THEY TELL THIS STORY TO ANY AND ALL THAT WILL LISTEN IT WAS FOR ME UNFORGETABLE SUCH AN UN FORGETABLE DAY STILL MORE TO COME IN MY STORY LATER ROCKETWHIT

Brenda

Post Number: 48
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:56 pm:
    Yes, one had to have "connections" to get in...how mine came about was ironic...if my memory serves me, I would drive by the Rostertail and talk to the "boys" who parked the cars for those who had money to take their dates into the Rostertail...I had a 1965 green mustang [[3 on the floor too)...somehow thru these encounters, I met Larry [[w/the cougar)...sometimes we remember the car more than the person...hey, I was raised in Detroit...anyway, Larry said he lived at Garwood mansion....he invited me to see it....it was like a scene from the "Rocky Horror" as we drove along a narrow rode--over a bridge..more rode and then to see the "mansion"..I was in awe...The inside was beautiful, the high ceilings, the wood floors and the main dining room with the huge windows over looking the Detroit River....what a view...since it was during the early 70s, the people I remember in there were very well dressed for our era, had access to alot of "bootleg" music and 70s fun...I will leave it at that......smile....when I got to see the swimming pool in the mansion..it reminded me of the pool I swam in at Jackson Junior High....as relationships go, Larry and I drifted apart...but I do remember another man named Fred who had a room there and so again, I was a frequent visitor...I remember playing chess with him while buzzed..not good to do and I lost too..oh well....all in all, the people I met there were pleasant and non-threatening..........it was a peaceful place to visit and enjoy being young...this is all I can remember without a shrink's assistance, lol.........Garwood had a unique feel with the people of our youth that made it very special and cool to say you actually went there and experienced it.........

Brenda

Post Number: 49
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

Attachment 5744

Attachment 5745

Today and yesterday

Lefty2

Post Number: 1103
    Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:52 pm:
    Rocketwhit are you writing a book? RW- NICE CAPS BTW

Summertime1

Post Number: 30
    Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 1:47 pm:
    Brenda, thanks for repling. Where was Jackson junior high? i grew up the SCS, we were lucky to be born when we were. I did get to go to Eastown, Cinderella, and Red Carpet. I still love Rock music. I would like to get a ticket to see Kid Rock tonight, Peter wolf is with him. J Geils was great. we would have hung out if we knew each other then .

Brenda

Post Number: 53
    Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 3:15 pm:
    Sumertime1: Jackson JH was near Denby HS--near houston-whitier[[sp) area..cuz it only took the bus a short distance to get us home to the lower Jefferson/Charlmers area. I went to Cass Tech for two years and transf'rd to Southeastern HS for my senior year [[to get college money). Yes, Eastown, Grande, Garwood [[by invitation, lol), Angel Park and going to see "The Doors" at Cobo so long ago....I am sure with my love of music, the dress of era and the topics of our youth we would have been friends....Yes, we were lucky to grow up in Detroit with a strong family, community and love/respect for country. Even we challenge those in power during the Vietnam War, it was because we saw the lies and our men coming back abandon'd and forgotten. This decay of Detroit--which was pushed over the edge with the Mayor's nonsense and corruption, will only keep businesses from ever considering Detroit as a place to invest....The Mayor didn't do it alone, it was the people of the city who didn't want any non-color folks near the 8 mile boarderline....well, Detroit got its' wish and we left and some now have totally left the state........but "they" didn't do anything wrong......but, on a positive note, the people who have wonderful memories of Detroit in the past are good thoughts and can be shared with our children and grandchildren!••• When people ask me where I am from where I work and live now, I still proudly say Detroit with a big smile on my face....Have a great day and good thoughts of what was always.

Summertime1

Post Number: 34
    Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 7:02 pm:
    Brenda, right on!! good memories forever.

Chitaku
    Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1845
    Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:21 am:
    man if i were older i would of partied with you ladies

Summertime1

Post Number: 35
    Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:24 am:
    Brenda, my husband went to Burbank, then to Denby. he lived on Novara then lappin at hayes. we went to one of his class reunions, Denby area spanned a huge portion of Detroit. He said he went to Garwood parties.

Brenda

Post Number: 54
    Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:01 am:
    To Chitaku: Thank you for the complement...Summertime1...I am sure your husband's smiles when he recalls the "Garwood parties", lol....as I might have mentioned before, we didn't have cells, thank goodness!••• The first guy I ever dated was from Denby and the last, lol.........my introduction to the "worse" of man, but as time went on, I met many wonderful men in my travels, serving in the Navy and now serving my fellow veterans....but Garwood was a place that was so cool to say you had been there during that time period...a great moment in time!

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 29
    Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:23 pm:
    let me say i'm sorry about the caps lock i want to tell my story loud but not to yell at everyone please forgive me rocketwhit

Brenda

Post Number: 56
    Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:52 pm:
    Rocketwhit: I didn't take offense with the "caps"...as we used to say in the Navy.."don't sweat the small stuff"...it was your story that was interesting!••• Good memory too!••

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1098
    Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:47 pm:
    OMG, I TOTALLY LOVED YOUR STORY, ROCKETWHIT! LOLOLOLOL - OMG, I"M SCREAMING AND I CAN'T STOP!

I yelled your story to myself and it was too funny

Sumas
    Username: Sumas

Post Number: 36
    Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:27 pm:
    Grayhaven was an entire community designed by Edward Gray. It was created out of the Grande Marais. It was entirely landfill. Two Fisher Mansions, part of the eastern Grayhaven compound, were built on the landside of Starboard Lagoon. The island had four homes. The Garwood mansion is now gone but three still exist surrounded by new development of dubious value. The western land side was off of Port Lagoon. Seven homes were built there. All are now gone. Only thirteen homes in all were built. Many people blame the Great Depression for the demise of the original Grayhaven but in reality Gray's legal feuds with City of Detroit [[corrupt) officials sealed its fate. Sound Familiar????

Only four homes are left of the thirteen. The Lawrence Fisher Mansion and three on the island.

Grayhaven is a very special place for me and I have collected a very detailed history of it from 1913 to the present. I have decided to wait one more year prior to publishing, I am curious to see how the Morgan Estates progresses. This is the group that clear cut the Fisher Woodlot.

To explain. In the seventies, the city demolished the Fisher Mansion that bordered the river. Over the years, nature reasserted itself and it became a true beauty spot that almost all of Creekside residents treasured. We fought hard against the sale of the property to this developer. Many meetings, many speeches trying to preserve this 14 acre nature preserve. Of course, we lost. Morgan is a Kwame buddy. Morgan's "environmental engineers" claimed the woodlot was scrub and junk trees. In reality, there were many valuable trees as well as native plants. Long ago, when the property was a 16.5 two home Fisher compound, it was beautifully landscaped. Many Crabapples, amalanchiers, Beech, forthythias and other flowering shrubs and trees survived. My favorite personal bad, is that since their "experts" declared there was nothing of vegetatative value on this riverfront property, I watched ten magnificent black walnut trees get bull dozed and chipped. The assholes could have made a small fortune per tree if they had been harvested properly.

What makes me so sad is that all of what was Grayhaven will soon be off limits to everyday citizens. The communities being built on the skeleton of the original Grayhaven are all Gated Communities. We have this fascinating historical district that cannot be viewed or visited by us ordinary citizens. Enough said.

Summertime1

Post Number: 40
    Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:24 pm:
    Sumas, thanks for the great information

Sumas
    Username: Sumas

Post Number: 45
    Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:46 am:
    summertime1, thanks for the thank you. I just got ripped to shreds on a different thread. "Gated communities". I truly believe that the river and riverfront access should belong to everyone. Sooo... much rich history.

I doubt I will post again, so this is my swan song. Too many rude, ignorant, mean spirited and narrow minded people.

I do love sharing and waltzing down memory lane.

This forum has been great. Lots of laughs, witty reparte and more. However, this also includes complete idiots who like to swear, insult and be confrontational just for fun.

I am serious about my commitment to Detroit and have backed it with action/community service.

But too many forum members are just too full of verbal shit.

Bye

Raggedclaws
    Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 134
    Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:22 am:
    "Ripped to shreds..." Hardly. You got called out your own narrow-mindedness and poor choice of words over on "Gated Communities".

Grow a thicker skin, this is Detroit after all.

Sorry for the threadjack. It had to be said.

Otter
    Username: Otter

Post Number: 11
    Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:29 am:
    Sumas,

I haven't read that other thread, but try not to be discouraged by "rude, ignorant, mean spirited and narrow minded" people. This is the internet, after all, where many people will "speak" and act in ways which they would never display in person, and in the end it doesn't really matter. I like the heart that you seem to display. Just let bad manners wash over you like the tide, back and forth.....

and off to sleep I go... thinking of all of you .. such fun

and really missing some of these past writers

Garwood Lounge

Intimate dining can be found at this exquisite lounge and piano bar located within the historical 1920s-era Vanderbilt Mansion and along the courtyard that houses the island’s aviary of rare, tropical birds. Couples or small parties can find a delightfully romantic ambience here along with a menu filled with delectable dishes as Garwood’s warmth and charm transport them back to a time of true elegance and sophistication.

View Garwood Lounge Menu >>>

Could it be that The Wood family stayed in the Vanderbuilt Mansion?
    Attachment 5746

Attachment 5747

Attachment 5748

Isle......uhhhh.......'sup??

hi stnfrnt
    well let's see hhhmmm I was walking down the street yeah thats it .... and all of a sudden a man came running out of a phone booth, yikes!!! I said , as he bumped into me, what's this all about I say. He responds with a you should see what is written on the walls in that there phone booth... he kept saying I gatta go, I gotta go.
    So I take a gander and look in that phone booth WHEW!! WOW!! it was a poster from the 1960's announcing the birth of a band named Stonefront. Damn! I say, I will just have to go and check this out . Off I go to this place called The Gar Wood Mansion where... well you know!
    hope all is well with ya .. just love those phone booth stories

Fisher Island....circa 2007. Stillrockin has a place here.....right next to Oprah. It's a secret.

Last edited by stnfrnt; June-22-10 at 05:54 PM.

Bigb23
    Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 59
    Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 8:57 pm:
    This a great site - Stick around and good luck.
    You can't keep an ole' hippie down. Eastowne forever.

And can we find a better online dating service?

Attachment 5750

Attachment 5751
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-11-10 at 07:09 AM.

Zippy

Today it's Reggae Sunday pool side off to work.

Hoover is stillrockin.

Default Pals

Isle...Thank you for the refresher course...With my memory, It will keep it fresher....Bigb23..I apologize for the weak reference but I do enjoy your stuff... Been married for 35yrs today [I have the match book to remind me]... yeah mark boooring.... ROCK ON...