Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 14 of 275 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Hybrid View

Hey Ruth don't forget my 6 helium balloons and wireless mic . your the best.

Hoover

Stnfrnt wrote:
    >>Rickbeall is starting a pool and taking bets on exactly what time Hoover will either fall out of his wheelchair or stumble and crash into a table.

Right now the big bet is 7 pm. What a minute! That's an hour before the party starts! Who will protect us from Alice Cooper?

We gotta keep Hoover mover'ing at least til 10.

stnfrnt,

I suspect that poster #1 Rocketwhit is/was a Detroit Yes historian type like myself interested in the story
    but not a first hand veteran of the Gar Wood.
    The initial posts date back to January of '08 when I shared Gar Wood pictures with Rocketwhit credited to the world famous Grande Ballroom photographer Ruth Hoffman. Can't say what became of the other original posters mentioned.
    It took a few short months for the word to spread before the explosion in popularity happened.
    I'd love to see a graph of the number of posts by month ... that would be wild.

See y'all at the reunion!

Leo B

Rickbeall....Hoover has to be IN THE BAR at the time in order to collect.

Damn.....that chopper entrance is world class. That guy is somethin' else, ain't he. I can't wait for the helium song.

Last edited by det313grrl; July-30-09 at 10:47 AM.

Attachment 1598

Attachment 1599

Attachment 1600

Attachment 1601

Attachment 1602

Thought I'd re-post it for those who missed it.
    Last edited by det313grrl; July-30-09 at 10:47 AM.

Hugs and kisses...Attachment 1607

Attachment 1608
    Last edited by Margie; October-14-09 at 06:54 AM.

Leo B......the graph WOULD be cool; for a lot of different reasons. I'd like to play with that data and graph it out myself. Lowell probably has that info in the DY log, but I have a feeling the archives have what I need. Outstanding!!

I grew up in Detroit, and have been following this novel for a year and a half. Safe travel to all and have a great time this weekend!!!

Hey Rick can you post the words to HOOVER WAS MOVER so we can sing along.

Thanks Hoover

Bobl, Southernboy and all who have been reading this story, thank you for your good wishes and for adding to the conversation as it grew.
    We shall raise a glass to you at the party.

And just wait for the stories we'll tell after the party!

Hey Larry I want to thank you for your support on HOOVER WAS A MOVER good buddy.

Spent weekend in Savanna Go in the rain a little soggy but ready to pack and head out to A2. Looking forward to the gathering.

Larry, I'm pretty sure that Ralph's house is still on the real estate market. You could pose as a buyer and hang around there for a while. There's no way in the world that anyone could drag me back to the old site of the Garwood though. Way too depressing for me. Neighborhoods like that make me want to vomit without knowing what used to be there. I think a drive on to the island now would just about do me in.

BigB, what are you talking about/ Collier site/whore? You lost me. That site is our visual centerpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by ruth View Post
    Bobl, Southernboy and all who have been reading this story, thank you for your good wishes and for adding to the conversation as it grew.
    We shall raise a glass to you at the party.

And just wait for the stories we'll tell after the party!
    Pics would be in order. Just remember that there are lurkers out here, both harmless like me [[warrants in five States west of the Mississippi, but always on my best behavior here), and others.....
    Does anyone remember "Orange Wedge", which nearly did me in?

Hey BushMark don't forget the kazoos we will need 124 of then.For Hoover was Mover.

Hoover

The gag kazoo's right?

Hey Dude!

Attachment 1613
    Last edited by det313grrl; July-29-09 at 10:50 PM.

Mark wrote:
    >>Hey Rick can you post the words to HOOVER WAS MOVER so we can sing along.

Sure, I'll repost it tonight. Also, I'll print out some lyric sheets and bring them to the party.

And remember:

Hoover was the man if instant party was your plan
    Bring back Johnny Winter, bring back the whole damn band!
    Front stage, back stage, young girls any age
    Who could ever forget?

Hey Dgrl........great card! Is that you? Actually, tomorrow is the day I qualify for Social Security Retirement Benefits. Now I have to go look for a job!

Happy Birthday to all the rest of you old farts!*

Attachment 1614

*Mark "4string" Swanberg doesn't qualify as an old fart........................yet.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; June-23-09 at 01:49 AM.

Your the Man Rick

Same goes for that bushy haired blond kid when he came to audition for the band I could not believe what I was hearing. How could a young guy get that good in so short of time. A couple of naturals.

Gus......actually, October was a pretty busy month back in the late 40s too. I think it had to do with the weather.

Along with that bushy haired blond kid from Algonac, there was a long haired [[non bushy) blond kid from Rockford that showed up around the same time. I was worried they weren't going to let us play in the bars because they were too young.

I remember coming out of gigs and heading home to the mansion, and people were stopping Harry and telling him how good "Lester" sounded that night. The kid had his own little group of guys that would come to gigs just to hear him play! They knew!

Mark could not only play some kick-ass bass, he could really sing! He had a neat little band called "Skag" that gigged at the "World Famous Rumpus Room" out in Belvidere. Somehow he found his way to the Garwood and the rest is........well, still going on.
    Attachment 1625

Mark "4string" Swanberg: Just graduated East Rockford High School
    about 20 minutes ago.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; June-23-09 at 01:49 AM.

Sug.... Thank you!! I'm just blown away by your comments.

Saturday should be a ball, good friends, great music, and a cold one [[or two). I'm really looking forward to it. The more drums the better.

Hey Jeep.......you were still in high school when you came to the Garwood, weren't you?

Hey Hoover......I'll ride on the roof, if that's okay. I don't think I could handle your pole dancers AND the helium. Then there's the kazoos. Nope. I better be on the roof. It's not that far, is it?

Page 14 of 275 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 64 114 ... LastLast