My Uncle used to roller skate upstairs at Gar Wood's place during the time his dad, my grandfather, worked for Gar Wood at Grayhaven. He told me about being kicked out when ice skating down there [[at Grayhaven someplace during winter)- and as a smart aleck kid argued with his dad, in front of his boss, Gar Wood. Boy did he catch it back home!
Name:  Elmer WWII Draft Card.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  65.2 KB

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:27 am:
I have some more pix to share. Amazing house... I wish someone knew who designed it, had more pix or more details about it. Gar Wood is not well-known mogul outside of Detroit history, unlike Henry Ford, the Dodges, etc. I remember being at the Detroit Yacht Club in the early 70's - folks were saying lightning struck the place and they could see it burning from the clubhouse. Boats left the docks to go over to Grayhaven to see the fire close up. Sad. I understand Gar Wood actually owned Fisher Island in Florida, back when it was still a private island, and that is where he passed away.

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:36 am:
here's a few more

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:36 am:
here's a few more

Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:48 am:
another

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4460
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 2:32 am:
Welcome to the forum Rocketwhit and Ocmobilexec!

Great introductory posts and knowledge.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:09 am:
what a house, i once read that Gar Wood had a company that built garbage trucks in Wayne Mi. i need to read up on him . my 83 yr old dad still brings up his name.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:32 pm:
Great pictures, Oc! I've never seen any of those before. Who are the guys playing in the third picture?

I have only the dimmest memories of this place. I was there one night after the Grande or the Eastown, can't remember which. I was most certainly under the influence and I'm sure my perceptions were warped, but I believe your recollections about the layout are correct.

It was such a sad ending for so beautiful a house.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:09 pm:
These photos are from a friend who once lived in the mansion in the early seventies. I am certain she would not mind sharing these. I'll suggest she stop by and share some stories.

Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:35 pm:
To all : It was my grandfather Ed Wood who invented the hydraulic hoist that made trucks able to dump their loads..I have the actual patent hanging in my office today....it was Gar who expanded the concepts for various trucks and it was George who ran the welding shop where they put the things together...George Wood also raced the Miss America's too...and beat Gar once and they didn;t talk to each other for about a year....

Ed lived on Marlborough - George on Chalmers - both below Jefferson and Gar at the Mansion....The family had great Christmas parties at the Mansion in the 40 - 50's....

There were 11 brothers and sisters in the Wood family and I also have a picture of all the brothers standing in front of Miss America VII along with Orlin Johnson who was Gar's engineer on board with him when they raced.....all wearing greasy, oily gear.

My younger brother has a Miss America VI crew uniform that used to hang in my basement in Detroit and we would wear it when we needed to change oil in our cars during high school..

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:00 am:
http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=128&categ ory=locations

I never made it when the mansion was standing. Only thing I ever saw were the two pillars at the entrance to the driveway that said "Gar Wood." Beyond that everything was leveled. But I was on the island and at the Fisher [[Krishna) Mansion in the 80's many times and got a feel for how cool it was. There is still at least one of the old mansions on Grayhaven island that was for sale only a few ago [[Super Bowl days) for like 3 or 4 hundred K. As the other thread says "is this a joke?" Someone who didn't think it was a joke and who is smarter [[and has more money) than us bought it. I tried to find the link from the real estate site showing the place, totally refurbished, but it's gone as last I heard someone bought it and is living there.

You could take your boat from the backyard of this house directly to the Saint Lawrence Seaway and if so inclined sail to anywhere in the world.

Not bad if you ask me.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:50 pm:
I remember the biker parties from 1968 or 69. The indoor pool [[empty) was still beautiful in a creepy sort of way with the wall sconces for lighting. It was sad even then with rooms painted in purple or black and beads in the doorways and drunks everywhere.

My Dad told stories of Gar Wood running booze across at the river and slipping into his boathouse and closing the door. Got away every time from being caught.

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:48 pm:
I must say that these replys and pics have blown me absolutly away. the responces i have been waiting for. thanks to all for firing me and the site up. great joy showing my bass player the new additions to the site, he's heard my tales countless times. i really cant tell you the uplift i got today from your help as i lost my wife of 26 years dec 28 she has heard my garwood
adventure a long time. my classic tale will continue i have more to tell and will soon A VERY BIG THANKYOU to all i will look foward to more stories and pics THANKS ROCKET!••• P.S. I'm preaty sure the bands name was garwood mansion or possibly gray stone
Just so much fun to read..
the name of the band was and is STONEFRONT.. not sure who posted this pic but it was inserted on this old forum page.
Name:  124905.jpg
Views: 5653
Size:  29.0 KB[/QUOTE]