Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 431 of 432 FirstFirst ... 331 381 421 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 LastLast
Results 10,751 to 10,775 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Name:  9FB8344F-6833-4E20-99C7-2635906E5669.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  175.0 KB

Just a shout out to any old Garwoodians that might still be out there observing. Happy Holidays and hope everything’s going well.
    Bush mark,

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Name:  9FB8344F-6833-4E20-99C7-2635906E5669.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  175.0 KB

Just a shout out to any old Garwoodians that might still be out there observing. Happy Holidays and hope everything’s going well.
    Bush mark,
    I hear you old guy, and a Happy New year to you and yours.......hoping it's the best year you've ever had.

Well, hey there, y'all!
    So, who's still alive and rockin here in the free world?

Well, you know I am. It's really great to see you back on this page, so keep in touch. Tell me stories. Lots and lots of stories.

The only Rockin' I'm doing nowadays is in a chair. But my mind is full of the fifty's, sixties' and early seventies. Thank god for WDET and their B side 45's during the weekend.
    I've lost the thrill of music, sports, and entertainment over the years, but when I spark WDET every so often, I go back, and I hope you do too.

Hey Detroit girl, good to see you’re still around.

Good to see you as well, old guy. Seems like this ol' thread has threaded out.
    I can only guess why...

Yeah Dgirl, it’s definitely on the downside. I took a look back at the first page in the hall of fame threads and came up with a start date of January 30, 2004. At that point it was Garwood’s Mansion and it was started by Vas. He was making an inquiry about the mansion.

I ran across it that year, when I was trying to find Gus. I found Ruth on maybe a Grande Ballroom site or a site with the ballroom on it? At some point back then I was able to somehow find her, she was teaching at Stanford at the time. She found her way over to the Garwood thread later that year.

I think my first conversation on DYes was with Rocketwhit, [[it is I Rocketwhit) Bentspur was there from the beginning, MikeM, Mauser, Brenda, the Cincinnati Kid. I think one of the first long conversations I had was with Sumas. It’s odd though, when I go back to that 1st. Garwood page, I’m not there. On Sept. 1, Rocketwhit refers to me, but I’m not in any previous post. Hey, I love a good mystery.

Anyway, at this point, it would be great if a bunch of old friends would show up for some closing arguments. I’m not holding my breath, but who knows. I’ve still got more stories than dignity, so hey, I’m in. bushmark.
    Last edited by old guy; February-11-21 at 12:56 AM.

One more thing or two.
    Last year Larry sent me a copy of the almost finished documentary of Garwood. I’m not sure if that was the version from EMI or Abbey Road Studios or what, but it was what Robin put together and it was great.

However recently if I google the Garwood, I see a great deal of misinformation and I’m not certain where it’s coming from. Just as a spoiler alert there seem to be quite a few stories rolling around that aren’t true. I haven’t seen anything that’s horrible or anything, but just a lot of made up crap. Just so people know that there’s a lot of crap rolling around out there that’s not true. What you read here is true, possibly with some embellishments, but reasonably true.

old guy, John sent me a copy of"Stones Throw" a few years back, it's a shame it's dead in the water.

old guy, check out "Weird Scenes, Inside the Canyon" by David McGowan.
    Quite the read.
    Last edited by det313grrl; February-15-21 at 12:56 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by det313grrl View Post
    old guy, check out "Weird Scenes, Inside the Canyon" by David McGowan.
    Quite the read.
    Thanks, it looks interesting. I’ll try to check it out. I only made it up there once. Went to a party with a couple of friends at a cottage somewhere on a winding lane. Spent part of an afternoon up there and it left a lasting impression on me. Nice people everywhere, beautiful scenery. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to live up there back then. Gus used to hang out up there quite a bit.
    Hope you’re staying warm. It’s brutal where I am. I guess it’s pretty much brutal everywhere right now.

6000 views since my new post! Wow, you're welcome Lowell.
    Lotsa lurkers out there so I figure they all ain't dead😎

Actually Dgirl, that’s somewhat the norm around here. Despite the people that have dropped off over the years, many have passed away, there still seem to be a large number of people that are interested in the thread. It is phenomenal how many people read this thread. So many of us are searching for anything to fill our day, that the numbers add up. Glad to see you’re still about and hope you hang around. bushmark

“Hello...."...... anyone..... I think the statute of limitations have expired. Come on back, really. It’s 2021.

Name:  8FDB4EF4-2126-4555-B789-ACA7A2545502.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  257.4 KB
    OK, are there possibly any old Garwood people out there? I don’t mean to sound needy, and I was one of the younger residents but hey, possibly the least likely to make the long cut. If you get a chance, stop by before we all pass into another frontier.
    If not, check you on the flip flop.

Any questions about the Garwood? I’ve probably got till about Tuesday. Afternoons are best for realistic dialogue.
    Last edited by old guy; July-10-21 at 01:58 AM.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone at detroit yes and to everyone from the garwood. I hope everyone is doing well. Old Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by old guy; December-24-21 at 12:21 AM.

Name:  75658FBE-CF1C-497F-8CC7-9C6A175514F2.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  82.9 KBSometimes I love holidays, and sometimes I don’t. I’m kind of liking this one because I’m really tired of all the negativity at the early stages of this decade.

Name:  134B2648-0238-4591-A62C-AC4C5C928BDC.jpeg
Views: 1144
Size:  97.2 KBWell, Happy New Years to everyone. I hope we all find our way out of these peculiar times and all glean something from them.

BEST OF WISHES TO EVERYONE WHOEVER YOU AREName:  0C136555-E008-474C-A529-42006317FF8A.jpeg
Views: 1149
Size:  90.6 KB

I preferred this one. There's some kind of ludicrous pretext going on there.

Name:  vintage-New-Years-Eve-photos-4.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  52.2 KB
    American actress Clara Bow holds up a large card while actor Larry Gray inscribes a New Year's greeting with a giant pen, 1935. {General Photographic Agency, Getty Images}

Gary Merryman, Gar Wood Fraternal my brother Larry.Merryman... passed this morning .... Complications from COPD....

Almost forgot I had interviewed my Uncle Bob LeSuer about the time during which his father, Elmer LeSuer, worked for Gar Wood in an office just over the bridge and to the right. I've posted photos years ago but here's the interview when he discusses a visit to the mansion during the time that Gar Wood still lived there- riding in the bow of a 'storm boat', an eight man outboard engine powered boat that his father, my grandfather, was working on the engine for it and more- https://youtu.be/YoWJVHX7_2g

There are some precious memories there that would have been lost if not recorded. These are the kind of memories that most need to be preserved if only because they're on the verge of being lost forever..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There are some precious memories there that would have been lost if not recorded. These are the kind of memories that most need to be preserved if only because they're on the verge of being lost forever..
    Alas. After retiring from the DPD and moving to southern Nevada in 1984, my only contacts on DY are this link. And I check them daily and love them all, even if not germane to my views. Which no one gives a click about anyway.

That said......Happy 4th to you all. Hope it's a great day for you.
    Just being alive at 85 IS for me.