Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I remember a discussion about this where the FBI stats put grand theft auto at the same level as murder.

How do you quantify 'most violent' anyhow?

I know having my truck stolen would not make me very sad.

Is Detroit one of the most dangerous cities in the country? Perhaps.

Is Detroit one of the most dangerous cities in the world? Not even close.

And yes, articles like this matter, because a city's PERCEPTION influences its economic systems and the life chances of its citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Question is, "How can we make it a desirable city that more people want to live in again?"
    One person at a time. Every single person who makes the political choice to live, work, volunteer, and/or play in the city when there is considerable stigma against doing so in some local, national, and international quarters contributes to the rebuilding of the ruins of Detroit.

However, there are a LOT of people who are invested in the status quo. If Detroit rebuilds, integrates, and becomes a highly desirable place to live again, there are people on all sides of all divides who will find that the earth has disappeared from beneath their feet. They won't know what to do or where to turn. This is called "social evolution" and it is inevitable.

Was Tujuana on that list? Thata a city i feel unsafe in, and i havent gone since it got WORSE,

Quote Originally Posted by Jmil View Post
    By the way, you didn't answer my questions.
    Because your questions are irrelevant to the topic of this thread. Does Detroit have crime? Yes. Is Detroit one of the world's 10 most dangerous cities? Not hardly.

Hmm, okay. I don't think New Orleans and Detroit match anywhere CLOSE to those cities, crime in Detroit has definately gone down, Detroit's homicide rate is 33.8 murders per 100,000, whereas Kinshasa is 127 per 100,000
    New Orleans isn't even close to these cities' crime rates either. Well, minus Detroit.

While the numbers for Detroit and New Orleans are lower than the other cities listed. It appears that those two are the United States equivalent of those other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    While the numbers for Detroit and New Orleans are lower than the other cities listed. It appears that those two are the United States equivalent of those other cities.
    Regardless, this is false advertising. Besides Kinshasa and Baghdad, most of these cities are tourist friendly [[including Detroit, believe it or not).

Why are you trying to justify their blatant misrepresentation of Detroit?

"Is Detroit one of the world's 10 most dangerous cities? Not hardly. "
    So thats it? We aren't the worst, so we are okay? WOW!
    Lets say Detroit isn't in the top 10, lets say it isn't even in the top 1000, does that make Detroit safe? C'mon iheart you used to spar much better than that.
    I have been waiting the "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore" moment for a long, time, guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

Enjoy your weekend. I'm out.

"Is Detroit one of the world's 10 most dangerous cities? Not hardly. "
    So thats it? We aren't the worst, so we are okay? WOW!
    Lets say Detroit isn't in the top 10, lets say it isn't even in the top 1000, does that make Detroit safe? C'mon iheart you used to spar much better than that.
    I have been waiting the "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore" moment for a long, time, guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

Enjoy your weekend. I'm out.
    The topic isn't "is Detroit safe". The topic is "world's most dangerous cities". If you want to talk about whether or not Detroit is safe then start a thread on that subject.

What makes you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The topic isn't "is Detroit safe". The topic is "world's most dangerous cities". If you want to talk about whether or not Detroit is safe then start a thread on that subject.
    Not to start anymore fights but can we shut the hell up about it and discuss the topic at hand?

Why are you trying to justify their blatant misrepresentation of Detroit?
    If my home has deteriorated, and I'm aware of this, to the point where it's all jacked up and someone says that it's one of the worst home's around. Pointing to other houses and saying they're in worse shape still doesn't change the fact that I need to fix my house. In fact, someone else pointing this out should make me keenly aware of what needs to be done.

Being accountable and taking responsibility is what gets things done. As a matter of fact, thanks to this conversation, I plan on picking up any stray trash that I see on my street when I get home.

If my home has deteriorated, and I'm aware of this, to the point where it's all jacked up and someone says that it's one of the worst home's around. Pointing to other houses and saying they're in worse shape still doesn't change the fact that I need to fix my house. In fact, someone else pointing this out should make me keenly aware of what needs to be done.

Being accountable and taking responsibility is what gets things done. As a matter of fact, thanks to this conversation, I plan on picking up any stray trash that I see on my street when I get home.
    No. If someone says that your house is the worst kept home on the block, when by any measure it's demonstrably not the worst, then you would contest it. If not, then I pity you.

No. If someone says that your house is the worst kept home on the block, when by any measure it's demonstrably not the worst, then you would contest it. If not, then I pity you.
    Here's the part you need to get. If your home is jacked up and needs fixing. FIX IT. Arguing degrees doesn't matter. That's like someone arguing with a teacher over getting an F because they think they deserved an F+. It's still failure.

Clearly, no one from CNN has been to Mogadishu.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterhuntPrincess View Post
    I have never felt safer walking down the street in my neighborhood.
    I wouldn't feel safe walking down a street like Peter Hunt either [[no offense).

Granted it's just one street in a 143 sq. mi. city. Every big city in the world has those type of areas.

Here's the part you need to get. If your home is jacked up and needs fixing. FIX IT. Arguing degrees doesn't matter. That's like someone arguing with a teacher over getting an F because they think they deserved an F+. It's still failure.
    A 59% compared to a 1% can make a world of difference on one's overall grade in that teacher's class.

Retroit Guest

Does it really matter what other places are or are not on the list?
    Folks have been TOO long in denial of how bad Detroit has gotten.
    What is going on in Detroit MUST be changed.
    The real question is how can Detroit be improved? And where is the calvary?
    Why is there no urgency among the leaders to turn things around?
    Where is the outcry?
    Where is the million man march in Detroit to draw attention about how bad the conditions are?
    Where is Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barack Obama? Is the work too hard or is it not glamorus for them to tackle?
    If things continue as they are, it won't be "last one out, turn out the lights"
    It will be; last one alive, turn out the lights.
    Amen!

Detroit is the most dangerous city in the world to those victims of crimes who have no other options and are forced to live here.

Its not worth it to pay a mortgage, and private school tuition, and spend thousands on security shutters and glass block windows to secure a property. But for those who can afford the hassle, something great is coming.
    The wise man will wait until seeing it before believing it.

For all the runners who ran just past the border, and now have to run even further because those neighborhoods have turned to crap and the schools suck just as bad as Detroit's, just keep running. As your property values continue to drop and you find yourself at a loss, join the Detroiters.
    The key phrase is "just past the border." It might be necessary to run a little further than that.

I just love my city waaaaay too much. I'm a teacher and double as a realtor in my spare time. I have been watching the MEAP scores as my predictor of the next neighborhood to fall. The wave of falling scores [[and home values) has skipped over a few choice places but is coming to a neighborhood near you [[runners). Well, I'm probably going to be the last one alive in Detroit...
    Good for you. And good luck. You're going to need it.

When enough naive and Pollyanish Detroiters stop wasting all their breath and energy perpetually continuing to to blame the people who wisely left unsafe living conditions years ago [[which incidentally was totally within their moral rights to do) and instead get to work investing their resources in wiping out the crime that's responsible for the flight, then and ONLY then will that sunny day ever have even a snowball's chance in Hades of arriving.
    Last edited by EMG; April-16-10 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    A 59% compared to a 1% can make a world of difference on one's overall grade in that teacher's class.
    Maybe for those that specialize in failure. I'm looking from the perspective that over 1,200 senseless homicides should be viewed as unacceptable and intolerable. Not as, well at least it's not 1,300 homicides.

But hey, if someone's motto is " when life gives you piss make lemonade", more power to them.

Maybe for those that specialize in failure. I'm looking from the perspective that over 1,200 senseless homicides should be viewed as unacceptable and intolerable. Not as, well at least it's not 1,300 homicides.

But hey, if someone's motto is " when life gives you piss make lemonade", more power to them.
    No one said it was acceptable, but you guys are still missing the point. Using tha' logic, a suburban township shouldn't appalud that they [[hypothetically) have 3 homicides out of ever 100,000 people just because it's not zero, although the other suburban townships still have a higher homicide rate than them.

Whichever way you spin it, 500 homicides will always be better than 800 homicides.

1,200 senseless homicides should be viewed as unacceptable and intolerable. Not as, well at least it's not 1,300 homicides.
    Where did you get 1200 homicides from?!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast