Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
That is absolutely correct, and was and is true of Britain and Yorkshire as well [[as far as the houses). With the exception, I think, of a few houses along the south side of Grayton in the Wayburn-to-Laing area, NONE of those east-west streets had any houses facing them - at least between Kelly and McKinney. From McKinney to I-94, however, [[or from McKinney to Cadieux in the case of Britain), all three of those streets became residential blocks with houses on them - and the north-south King Richard was the cross street without houses facing it.

Of course, between Kelly and McKinney, some of those corner houses had GARAGES which faced the east-west streets.
Yes, those were referred to in the real estate biz as "side-loading garages" and were supposedly quite desirable.

I agree with you that east of McKinney the streets quit being side streets and became residential. Those streets were probably developed moving west from Harper [[the houses were older). West of McKinney the houses were developed moving north from Whittier. Most everything north of Grayton was still empty fields on Nottingham, Beaconsfield, Roxbury, and Lakepointe during WWII.