Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Now the neighborhood that I lived in until my parents moved us to Shelby Twp. was Lannoo St. between Chandler Park, Mack and Moross, Warren. I've heard of this area being called Cornerstone Village now but I've only heard it by word of mouth and nothing concrete. Can anyone back this up?

Well, they seem to have a Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corner...e/100445169255

BTW: I'm from around there, too. In fact, the house my dad built is for sale. Dad was a bricklayer and stone mason and did all the work except the electrical. It's easily the best house on the block: http://www.trulia.com/property/30036...ointe-MI-48236. I think my formerly tiny hand prints are still in the sidewalk in front of the house. You could do stuff like that in those days. Wish I could get that house for myself.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; April-05-10 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    Now the neighborhood that I lived in until my parents moved us to Shelby Twp. was Lannoo St. between Chandler Park, Mack and Moross, Warren. I've heard of this area being called Cornerstone Village now but I've only heard it by word of mouth and nothing concrete. Can anyone back this up?
    Cornerstone Village is the new name of ONE [[Organized Neighbors East). This new name was decided upon about 2 years ago. My mother still lives in the area, and I remember reading her ONE Newsletter mentioning the name change. ONE just didn't sound right for Detroit's easternmost neighborhood.

The boundaries of Cornerstone Village are Cadieux on the west [[bordering EEV), I-94 on the north, Kingsville [[on the Harper Woods border) on the east, and Mack Ave. on the south. The area also includes the part of Detroit with the 48236 zip code [[east of Canyon St.... the eastern border of Balduck Park) that although in Detroit has a Grosse Pointe mailing address.

Cornerstone Village has some of the nicest commercial areas of Detroit, including St. John Hospital & Medical Center, Pointe Plaza Shopping Center... and probably the nicest retail strip left on the east side... on the Detroit side of Mack Ave. [[thanks to the still thriving commercial strip across Mack in Grosse Pointe Farms and City.

Although hard hit [[like many neighborhoods in Detroit) by the current home mortgage meltdown, Cornerstone Village has been spared the home demolitions of many other Detroit neighborhoods, even those with nicer housing stock.

Even though some of the Mack Ave. auto dealerships in Cornerstone Village have closed... that stretch of roadway has a lot of commercial potential [[large dealership acreage) when the economy improves.