I was surprised recently to discover from looking at a detnews map published a little while ago that my neighborhood was considered part of Brightmoor. That was not my life experience, however. The Telegraph/7Mile/FivePoints/Pembroke tract was more dominated by it's relationship to Redford Twp. / Old Redford and Bonnie Brook golf course. While we learned golf in the early '60s at FreePress golf school at Redford Golf Course and saw "The Mask" in Old Redford at the Redford Theater we spent our summers pulling leaches off our nuts after shaggin balls out of the Rouge River and slidin on those hills at Bonnie Brook in the winter. Remember the Dad that pushed the kid down a hill there and then realized he was headed straight for the river? The drop to the ice was at least 10 feet. He hit hard and within seconds had a bloody goose egg at the bridge of his nose the size of a grapefruit. And Dad raced down the hill in vain only to flip in the air and land on his back on the ice. Man, those were the days!
Bottom line: Telegraph Rd. and Bonnie Brook were big manmade boundaries that separated our neighborhood from Brightmoor.