Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
I lived in the area of Detroit that is listed as The Eye from '83-'06. Physically, the area is bound by Telegraph-Five Points-Grand River-McNichols. The name The Eye was given to the community organized watch group that formed in the 1980s to patrol the area day and night to deter home break-ins. Signs were put up in this area at points of entry to let would-be thieves know that the community was looking out for itself. The campaign was successful for a few years. I don't know how active the watch group is anymore. The signs for The Eye still exist and I believe that is why the area is still referred to as The Eye. Historically, it should have a reference and a name related to Redford Township.
I grew up in that neighborhood 60's-70's, still have family there.
There was no official name for the area, but our neighborhood baseball league was called the 'Redford Park Athletic Association', we always presumed the neighborhood name was Redford Park.

The Eye is a silly name for the neighborhood, but as you said, the neighborhood watch association is called 'The Eye' . That name referred to 'watching', nothing to do with the neighborhood name [[My Dad was one of the 'charter' members and remembers the naming choice at the 1st meeting.

Maybe some genius saw 'The Eye' signs and thought that was the neighborhood name, it has 'stuck' since.