Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Belle Isle

I have some conversations with some of the members of the rowing club using the old Boat Club and the Friends of the Belle Isle Aquarium and it sounds like the idea of having the city turn over the island, or even parts of it, has been contiously shot down by city government. Like so much in the city it seems like the city would rather keep it close and watch it die than give/sell it to some other groups that would possibly do a better job. It's a miracle the zoo broke free, but that was only as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I agree but Central Park was a dangerous dump until it was taken over by a conservancy. There currently isn't a conservancy or local leaders looking to take over central park.

Hell even our very own Diana Ross [[who has never done a damn thing for Detroit) donated $3MM to improve Central Park.
    Yes she did "to her home" According to her. To hell with that B**** Last time she tried to do a tour they had to cancel it because nobody would come. She's shit on Detroit more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The county guys could sell it [[it wouldn't be much of a millage bite) if they could show that the Detroit thugs were frozen out of running it.
    Incorrect. Voters aren't even willing to support minor millage increases to maintain core services. There is also no way that the tri county region would support it. Add in that the old piece of trash Brooks Patterson would prefer to get shot in the face than support his county's dollars going to anything in Detroit.

I think that you have been away too long because your perception of what the tri county region would support is very far from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I have some conversations with some of the members of the rowing club using the old Boat Club and the Friends of the Belle Isle Aquarium and it sounds like the idea of having the city turn over the island, or even parts of it, has been contiously shot down by city government. Like so much in the city it seems like the city would rather keep it close and watch it die than give/sell it to some other groups that would possibly do a better job. It's a miracle the zoo broke free, but that was only as a last resort.
    I would like something more concrete than anecdotal stories. Was there ever a proposal? Was there ever a formal discussion?

The city has turned CM and the riverfront to a conservancy. the city has turned over Cobo and the Zoo. I'm not saying that these conversations didn't happen but I am always suspicious of 'this is what a biased person told me' stuff comes up.

The city may be stubborn in turning over assets but they have done so for a number of assets recently.

My comment was just based on some conversations I had at the shiver on the river a couple of years ago. It does seem like the city is being more argreeable these days so regardless of what was or wasn't done in the past it's probably worth looking into again.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    My comment was just based on some conversations I had at the shiver on the river a couple of years ago. It does seem like the city is being more argreeable these days so regardless of what was or wasn't done in the past it's probably worth looking into again.
    Fair enough. I would really like the city to be approached by a conservancy to take over BI and support it.

Fair enough. I would really like the city to be approached by a conservancy to take over BI and support it.
    I have a good friend of mine that is involved in one of the groups on Belle Isle. They have been working on something along with all the other groups on Belle Isle. Last I heard, they had some issues reaching a consensus among the people invited on exactly how things should run if the city turned the island over. I really can't be more specific than that [[truth is I don't know all/any of the details). Him and I didn't really get into it and he was being a tad secretive due to the sensitive nature. He did say they wanted to make sure they submitted something to the city that was viable and agreed upon by the whole group. I do know this particular group of people are proponents of a fee based island.

I am meeting him for a beer tomorrow night downtown. I'll try to get some more info. Sorry for the hearsay- but I did hear someone say it!

That being said- look at the fiasco over COBO. I doubt we'll see it anytime soon. At least Monica Conyers is gone...
    Last edited by detroitdoc; April-07-10 at 06:20 PM.

I think the best thing for Belle Isle would be for the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy work with The Friends of Belle Isle and run the park... If only the had the money to take on the project...

I would like something more concrete than anecdotal stories. Was there ever a proposal? Was there ever a formal discussion?
    Ahhhh, short memories... The voters of the City of Detroit actually voted once to turn Belle Isle over to the Huron-Clinton Metroparks authority. To which they basically answered: f**k you Detroit. Many years later the city again looked into possible Metroparks involvement in the operation of Belle Isle, and again were given the high-handed "we don't do urban parks" business. This despite the fact that Detroiters have been paying a tax to the Metroparks for many decades now.

Frankly, I think Detroit should cut the Metroparks the hell off, and repurpose the taxes we pay to them for the upkeep of Belle Isle. That would at least go some small way towards making the place better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ahhhh, short memories... The voters of the City of Detroit actually voted once to turn Belle Isle over to the Huron-Clinton Metroparks authority. To which they basically answered: f**k you Detroit. Many years later the city again looked into possible Metroparks involvement in the operation of Belle Isle, and again were given the high-handed "we don't do urban parks" business. This despite the fact that Detroiters have been paying a tax to the Metroparks for many decades now.

Frankly, I think Detroit should cut the Metroparks the hell off, and repurpose the taxes we pay to them for the upkeep of Belle Isle. That would at least go some small way towards making the place better for everyone.
    Al, I agree with all of that. My comment was towards the people that insist the city is turning away offers for BI to a metropark or offers of another group to take control/support of BI. The argument [[without facts) is that Detroit is pushing back on cooperation when in fact the city has made attempts and have been told too bad [[like HCMA telling the city - keep BI but give us our .25 Mills to operate the other parks).

I suspect that we see the situation in much the same manner.

Al, I agree with all of that. My comment was towards the people that insist the city is turning away offers for BI to a metropark or offers of another group to take control/support of BI. The argument [[without facts) is that Detroit is pushing back on cooperation when in fact the city has made attempts and have been told too bad [[like HCMA telling the city - keep BI but give us our .25 Mills to operate the other parks).

I suspect that we see the situation in much the same manner.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that we do.

I don't think a regional millage would work for Belle Isle alone, which is why I wondered if a Grosse Pointe millage might work. Grosse Pointers seem to know that they have a stake in Detroit, much more than people in northern Oakland and Macomb Counties. Plus, Grosse Pointers are only five minutes from Belle Isle.

Cleveland's "Emerald Necklace" was created in 1917 as the Cleveland Metro Park District with tax levied on all real estate in the district and money from golf course greens fees. There is a board of park commissioners with 3 citizens appointed by the admin judge of Probate Court of Cuyahoga County. They have interpretive trails, bridle and hiking paths, picnic areas, wildlife management, swimming beaches and 6 golf courses plus 2 riding stables. There are 12 parks surrounding the city of Cleveland. Why can't Detroit do the same thing? In 1975 the district assumed the responsibiilty of the Cleveland Zoo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3