Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Charles Borromeo School

Does anyone know when the school at St. Charles Borromeo on Townsend St. closed? The only information online that I have is that it was leased to the Church of the Messiah, but there are no dates. Thank you.

Default St. Charles schools

St. Charles Borromeo had a high school and grade school. They both closed in or around l967. Enrollment for each was in the 200s.

Back in the 80's an Indian Village resident bought the school to turn it into a dance studio/artist colony and briefly had fund raisers to renovate it. I think DPS then bought it from her. I'm not sure who owns it now. The windows are fabulous for the artist colony idea. Lots of light and big spaces.My neighbor went to high school there and she is in her early 60's.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

Here is a photo of the entrance to the school. My aunt chose Charles Borromeo as her new name, when she entered the convent. She, and two siblings who also joined the IHM Order, taught at Detroit schools for decades. At least one DYes forum contributor has commented here on my aunts' contributions to the community, which made me proud!
    Source: Flikr; Uploaded on July 5, 2007
    by pinehurst19475
    Last edited by Bobl; April-04-10 at 10:37 PM.

mom went there is the late 30's, early 40's

My mother-in-law just told me today that she graduated from SCB in '46. My father -in-law said there was a community center building/gymnasium that was separate from the school that was across the street from the church on the northwest corner of St. Paul and Baldwin. The history of that part of Detroit [[around the Belle Isle bridge) in the 1900s was greatly shaped by St. Charles Parish and schools. From my understanding the Parish was heavily settled by Italian Catholics during the 40-60s. The schools however did close in the 60s....couldn't find out the exact year.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but i figure this is the perfect place to share this story with you guys...

This is my favorite parish in all of Detroit. When I first moved to Detroit I resided in Lafayette Park. I went searching for a church that wasn't just close, but fit my spiritual needs.

I went to SCB not knowing anything except the address. I was amazed at the way I was received from the moment I walked through the door. The people treated me as if I had been coming there for years. When the first lady found out it was my first time there, she made sure to introduce me to several people and make sure I felt welcomed.

Well after walking out of mass feeling as warm and comfortable as ever, I found the windshield of my car smashed in and the radio taken. It was not 20 minutes later, while I was on the phone with DPD, that a handful of parishioners had put together some $ to help me pay to get the car towed to a glass shop. In addition I was offered rides home and around town until my car could be repaired.

In the end the car stuff was paid for by my insurance and I made sure to to put the $ they had collected for me into the collection the next week. It just really meant so much to me to be welcomed like that. I continued to go to the church for 3 years until I moved a little further away a couple years ago, but I still enjoy going back from time to time. I am so thankful for the people from SCB.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but i figure this is the perfect place to share this story with you guys...

This is my favorite parish in all of Detroit. When I first moved to Detroit I resided in Lafayette Park. I went searching for a church that wasn't just close, but fit my spiritual needs.

I went to SCB not knowing anything except the address. I was amazed at the way I was received from the moment I walked through the door. The people treated me as if I had been coming there for years. When the first lady found out it was my first time there, she made sure to introduce me to several people and make sure I felt welcomed.

Well after walking out of mass feeling as warm and comfortable as ever, I found the windshield of my car smashed in and the radio taken. It was not 20 minutes later, while I was on the phone with DPD, that a handful of parishioners had put together some $ to help me pay to get the car towed to a glass shop. In addition I was offered rides home and around town until my car could be repaired.

In the end the car stuff was paid for by my insurance and I made sure to to put the $ they had collected for me into the collection the next week. It just really meant so much to me to be welcomed like that. I continued to go to the church for 3 years until I moved a little further away a couple years ago, but I still enjoy going back from time to time. I am so thankful for the people from SCB.
    Detroit Star, I'll piggyback on to your story....My parents and in-laws were married at SC....Many of my aunts, and uncles were very active in the church [[ushers, altar society officer. etc) and older cousins as well as my mother-in-law attended school there. It was however more recently 80-90s that I heard stories such as yours. Although the parish had a dwindling congregation it did have the reputation of being a very welcoming parish. I happened to work with a young man whose uncle, a capuchin priest, became the administrator for that Parish not too long ago [[Pruess is the name). It is really nice to hear stories such as yours. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    Back in the 80's an Indian Village resident bought the school to turn it into a dance studio/artist colony and briefly had fund raisers to renovate it. I think DPS then bought it from her. I'm not sure who owns it now. The windows are fabulous for the artist colony idea. Lots of light and big spaces.My neighbor went to high school there and she is in her early 60's.
    Billybrew, this is the correct story, basically speaking. The woman who bought it and turned it into an artist colony was a good friend of mine. I attended many events and had numerous friends who lived there at various times. The owner/artist passed away a few years ago at a fairly young age. I believe her cousin is now living in the home she owned on Iroquois. I have some photos of her paintings. Father David was the parish priest when it was still an operating Catholic church. The parishioners had gospel and alternative masses at the church. BTW, yours and my favorite attorney was in my bar this past friday.

Does anyone know if Sunday mass is still being help at the church?

Edit: According to the Archdiocese of Detroit's website it's saying mass is held at 11am on Sunday's, can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by 5speedz34; April-13-10 at 09:50 PM.

Default Mass times

You could always call the church to confirm on that- I drove by the church a couple weeks ago and saw some cars parked there [[getting ready for Palm Sunday)
    I do recall that a blogger on this site once said that they hold mass in the parish hall in the winter to save on heating.
    The website is pretty accurate.

About a hundred years ago, that was a very Belgian neighborhood. St. Charles was built, in part, to deal with the Belgian immigrant population overflow that other Belgian parishes couldn't handle because of space.

As far as I know the parish is still open and has Sunday Mass. The last several years the priest would also do a mass at the DYC in the summer for the boaters staying on their boats. The Capuchin priest who was there for several years was transferred to Milwaukee the year before last but someone else replaced him.

Quote Originally Posted by lafayette View Post
    About a hundred years ago, that was a very Belgian neighborhood. St. Charles was built, in part, to deal with the Belgian immigrant population overflow that other Belgian parishes couldn't handle because of space.
    Interesting. I didn't know that about the church and I attended mass and events there and in the old school. Thank you.