Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Well, party store owners aren’t the classiest bunch of people in the area. If you’ve seen the cars they drive and the clothes they wear you can bet that they have no idea about historical architecture. They care more about their aluminum-massed McMansions at Dequindre and 19 and their shiny Beemers with retarded chromed-out wheels.

I think it sold for $500,000.

Ty, for the sale info..... shame

$500K to buy a vintage building only to then spend thousands more to tear it down...then spend hundreds of thousands more to build a brick box with neon lights and freezers. Something doesn't sound right because party stores don't make all that much $$ especially in a dirt poor area. How can you make that much $$ selling booze and lottery tix? Most of the party stores in the suburbs are barely making it so I don't know what this kind of trick this guy has up his sleave.
    Last edited by Patrick; April-04-10 at 08:37 PM.

Anyone have the slightest idea how much $$ it would cost to take down this structure and clear the site?

To document this building should it fall to the wrecking ball, I went out on two separate days this past week to get some photographs. I'm sure the liquor store won't look like this!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    they soon found themselves with a shrinking membership and an older building they didn't have the funds to maintain.
    The University Club was in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Just because the landlord has the deed doesn't mean it is right for him to tear a building that could be saved.
    yes. it does. end of story. quit bitching.
    So what you're saying, bailey, is that the average non-multi-millionaire has no stake in the values of his community, how it looks, or how it functions?

In eight words, you've just overturned Euclid, Ohio v. Ambler Realty Company.

Now get out the way--I'm gonna turn that building into a hog rendering plant.

DC48080 Guest

I hate to see that building destroyed as much as anyone. But the fact remains that nobody with a viable plan to rehab the place stepped up and bought it. Now somebody has bought the building and it is his right to do what he wishes with it. Don't damn the guy for trying to make his investment pay off for himself.

We do have property rights in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    So what you're saying, bailey, is that the average non-multi-millionaire has no stake in the values of his community, how it looks, or how it functions?

In eight words, you've just overturned Euclid, Ohio v. Ambler Realty Company.

Now get out the way--I'm gonna turn that building into a hog rendering plant.
    Government zoning laws in and of themselves cannot force the owner of the property to keep a particular structure. They only restrict the possible uses to which the property can be utilized.

If the zoning is "commercial" any retail use should be permitted.

I can't tear down my house and build a rendering plant on my property.

I can demolish my house and build another single family residence on the property. Yes, I do need permits for the demolition and construction. You cannot deny me the permits just because you like my current house [[ohhhh, but it is sooooo cute......)

The owner should be permitted to do as he wishes within the current zoning of the property. To deny him that [[or to capriciously rezone it after you learn of his plans) would constitute a "taking".

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Government zoning laws in and of themselves cannot force the owner of the property to keep a particular structure.
    No, but what the City can do is:

*give the building historic designation and prevent it from being demolished

*disallow proposed "nuisance" use of the property, such as a liquor store or nightclub

*enforce existing building codes and municipal ordinances, and levy fines for noncompliance

*collect property taxes at the rate set by the City for vacant structures

It's disingenuous to say, "Well you're not a multi-millionaire real estate baron, so your own desires for your own community don't matter." Bailey is, in effect, arguing in favor of Government By Corporate Fiat, which some might call "fascism". How well has that worked for Detroit so far?
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; April-18-10 at 10:06 AM.

I would love to see a building trades school start up there. Schools don't have the tax headaches that other businesses have. Detroit seems like a massive laboratory for teaching people to work on buildings. .

Like I said before...he could just turn the structure into the world's coolest liquor store without having to tear it down. Of course, he wont do that. Nope...he will build some cinder bloock piece of shit adorned with neon and a palm tree logo.

DC48080 Guest

No, but what the City can do is:

*give the building historic designation and prevent it from being demolished

*disallow proposed "nuisance" use of the property, such as a liquor store or nightclub

*enforce existing building codes and municipal ordinances, and levy fines for noncompliance

*collect property taxes at the rate set by the City for vacant structures

The problem is if the City did all of those things I can guarantee you the guy would just walk away from the building, and what would have been accomplished? We can't just make every gorgeous building a historic site.

I hate to see that building destroyed but you have to face the reality that it is outmoded for any use other than what it was originally built for. If this wasn't the case someone would have come along and bought it and restored it. It is no longer economically viable.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Like I said before...he could just turn the structure into the world's coolest liquor store without having to tear it down. Of course, he wont do that. Nope...he will build some cinder bloock piece of shit adorned with neon and a palm tree logo.

In theory your idea would really be cool. But who could afford the utilities and upkeep on "the world's coolest liquor store". Imagine the prices he would have to charge for his merchandise just to be able to break even let alone make a profit.

I hate to see another Baghdad cinder block box on Jefferson. But nobody with the cash to do so has stepped up to save this one. The return on investment just wouldn't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The problem is if the City did all of those things I can guarantee you the guy would just walk away from the building, and what would have been accomplished? We can't just make every gorgeous building a historic site.
    And you can't turn every gorgeous building into a weed-strewn lot, either.

Laws are enacted to protect the community. If it all came down to letting everyone do whatever the hell they feel with their property, there'd be no need for zoning regulations or building codes.

DC48080 Guest

And you can't turn every gorgeous building into a weed-strewn lot, either.

Laws are enacted to protect the community. If it all came down to letting everyone do whatever the hell they feel with their property, there'd be no need for zoning regulations or building codes.
    You are really reaching quite far there. Nobody said the guy was going to turn the place into a weed filled lot. I doubt he bought the building to just raze it and not do anything with the property.

And nobody suggested he can just put anything there. But he can put anything there that fits within the zoning.

And you have to remember that zoning laws aren't going to keep a beautiful architecturally significant building viable or, to use a DetroitYes buzzword, sustainable. The University Club closed down because they didn't have the money to keep the place going. The YWCA left the building because they didn't have the money to keep the place open.

Are you going to pony up the dough to restore the place? Do you have a use for that building that could sustain it economically?

I know it's a moot point, but a building like that might work as a small school. I saw the inside and the library could be a real library for the school. You'd have to knock down some walls for classrooms, but that's not difficult. It would be sad if the owner only intends on building a party store on the site. He could build the party store on the parking lot and still have room for parking and save the University Club. Too bad that in this region, the almighty dollar trumps beauty and history. Nothing new, however. The practice has been going on since day one: July 24, 1701.

Too bad that in this region, the almighty dollar trumps beauty and history. Nothing new, however. The practice has been going on since day one: July 24, 1701.
    It isn't just a regional thing really...it is a national/American thing. Europeans and Asians don't seem to pull this shit. Only in America do we see this. Like I said before...there are thousands of lots to chose from. Why does he have to build on specific lot? It's not like that are is bristling with $$.

Such a shame with this building. Just in the past couple months it has been way more trashed on the inside. There are some gorgeous rooms in there though. The library [[which all the vintage books are now gone) is a beauty as well as several other rooms.

I think this building would make an incredible inn, or condos.

The sad thing is, cities like Warsaw [[undoubtedly with American money) rebuilt their centuries-old buildings brick-by-brick after World War II. We see something 100 years old, call it "unviable", and demolish it in the HOPES that someone builds an EIFS-clad piece of shit in its place.

The level of self-respect we have in this country is nothing short of astounding.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    And you have to remember that zoning laws aren't going to keep a beautiful architecturally significant building viable or, to misuse a DetroitYes buzzword, sustainable.
    Fixed that for you.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    No, the context in which I used the word to which you are referring was indeed correct.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast