Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
That building has got great potential.... Damn, why wasn't I born rich instead of good looking, I could renovate the place.
As what?

The building is beautiful, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

But what is it's real potential?

Office? Given the crappy occupancy rates downtown and its somewhat isolated location would you really be able to get tenants?

Residential? There are no windows on the backside...so expect to pay a lot of money punching in new windows for residential use...if you can get that past the Secretary of the Interior without killing your historic tax credits. Does anyone have any idea of the interior vertical & horizontal circulation? Where are the stairs and what, if any hallways are there? These will be key cost drivers and may put some design limitations due [[again) to Sec. of Interior standards.

Does any know who even owns it?

It appears to be about 100 x 75 with three stories so about 22,000 s.f. give or take some. At $125 per foot all in for reno costs [[and that is a total SWAG) you are looking at $2.75 million excluding the acquistion costs.

That is not a HUGE nut to crack - 10% developer equity is only $275,000. Perhaps this could be a good project for the preservation community to rally around? Find a creative use. Form a non profit and do some fund raising - show the demo happy folks at the City how it is really done.

Here is a great chance to save a great building and stick it to the Demolition Jackson, you know, show the DDA and DEGC how it is REALLY done....anyone going to step up?