Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Congratulations Rodriguez

Congratulatins Mr. Rodriguez upon Searching For Sugarman winning the Oscar for best documentary. You are an inspiration to a lot of us. Continued success my friend.

As long time acquaintances, if not close friends, our best to you and yours in winning the category. Now, let's get on with the next album.
    Best Regards,
    Ronald Mikulak and Susan Steinhauer

I thought it was wonderful that he had someone else accept the award to give the well desreved credit to the director. They both deserve much credit.

I wouldn't want to be one of those who bootlegged his records, reaping huge profits off of his talents without due compensation to him. They've got some ugly karma to fix, and I hope Mr. Rodriquez gets every dime he's owed. THAT will be the tangible part of the congratulations he deserves.

Wonder what life in Detroit would've been like if he'd been elected to City Council when he ran.

Congrats Rodriguez - well deserved!

I actually didn't think the documentary itself was great, but thought that Rodriguez's story was absolutely fascinating.

Sixto for council for the SW ward?

I think the best takeaway for me from the film, since I knew of his cinderella story long ago, was his daughters. They were brilliant, loving and pleasant. In spite of all his struggles and hard labor during his wilderness years he brought up those lovely and so well-balanced human beings. Anybody else pick up on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Sixto for council for the SW ward?

I think the best takeaway for me from the film, since I knew of his cinderella story long ago, was his daughters. They were brilliant, loving and pleasant. In spite of all his struggles and hard labor during his wilderness years he brought up those lovely and so well-balanced human beings. Anybody else pick up on that?
    had the same reaction. hopefully this newfound credit continues to keep them all grounded.

The guy is a class act and a wonderful human being. Good Karma has come his way.
    I don't think any man despite his trouble's should be credited with being a good father, that is his/our responsibility.
    Last edited by kenp; February-25-13 at 12:43 PM.

Congratulations indeed and I echo the statement about his daughters. I met Regan when Rodriguez recorded for our project a few years ago. I had heard of the "fame" in South Africa but the documentary was more than I had imagined. Here's a link to his performances.

http://www.singlebarreldetroit.com/artists/rodriguez/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArtSeen View Post
    Congratulations indeed and I echo the statement about his daughters. I met Regan when Rodriguez recorded for our project a few years ago. I had heard of the "fame" in South Africa but the documentary was more than I had imagined. Here's a link to his performances.

http://www.singlebarreldetroit.com/artists/rodriguez/

Wow, this is a nice web page. Thanks for posting. You know, its like listening to a newly found, long lost cache of Beatle records.

Default 1970s Detroit musician Rodriguez - documentary film about him

Detroit musician Sixto Rodriguez [[sometimes known simply as Rodriguez or Rod Riguez) recorded two albums in the early 1970s. They failed to chart and he quit music to return to blue collar work.

His biggest musical success occurred in South Africa and, to a lesser extent, in Australia. Despite popular demand, Apartheid in South Africa prevented him from touring there. Then a false rumor was spread amongst his South African fans that he committed suicide on stage during a concert.

The fact that Rodriguez was an obscure and mysterious man about whom little was known, even by fans, furthered his musical decline.

He was never even aware of his super-star status in South Africa.

A couple of years ago, two South Africans attempted to research the life and times of Rodriguez. They discovered he was still alive and living in Detroit after all this time. They made a documentary movie [['Searching For Sugar Man') about him. In 2013 it was awarded a prestigious BAFTA movie-making award in the UK.

He is now in his 70s and is re-starting his career. The movie's trailer can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=hpwmkC_-yaQ

His two biggest hits:

"I Wonder":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6bjqdll7DI

"Sugar Man":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyE9vFGKogs [["jumpers, coke, sweet mary-jane")
    Last edited by night-timer; January-19-14 at 05:26 AM.

I love Rodriguez but aren't you posting this about a year and a half late?
    And he became aware of his superstar status in South Africa quite a few years ago. If you paid attention Searching for Sugar Man had footage of the big, triumphant concerts he played there in the late 90's.

Death is new kid on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Death is new kid on the block.
    I'd been searching for the Death 7" since the late 90s. Not so new in certain circles.

My sister gave me the DVD for Christmas, finally got around to watching it yesterday. Great story. Even though I already knew the basics of the story it was great to watch it unfold. It was incredibly touching to see the footage from the first concert he did in South Africa. What a feeling it must have been for him, his family, and all his fans, most of whom had thought he wasn't even alive not long before. I can't even imagine what that must have felt like. They noted towards the end of the documentary that he gave most of the money away that he got from his tours. The world certainly could use a few more people like him - as could the City Council!

My honey won tickets to that 'homecoming' show at the Masonic Theater...that was a really magical night.

Finally saw the documentary, my father and his bride bought it to test a BluRay player my sister bought him for Christmas. I am glad I didn't see it in the theater, I got blubbery-messy for a good deal of it.

It was odd to see my cousin's husband in it...he is ever the enigma, couldn't stop giggling over him being called a construction laborer. That might be what he does, but is so much less than what he is. Same with Ferretti...bricklayer.

The whole story of how one man's creation could help bring down such entrenched evil on the other side of the world is so much more amazing than the mere story of how he was screwed out of his royalties and recognition...and hints against the biases in the broadcast industry in this land. Fellow with a Latin name couldn't get airplay here, which certainly influenced the lack of album sales.

Anyone else notice the Moon and Sun imagery dividing the first and second halves of the documentary?! I'm still trying to figure out how they got that one Moon shot north-east over the Bronx Bar.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; January-19-14 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I love Rodriguez but aren't you posting this about a year and a half late?
    And he became aware of his superstar status in South Africa quite a few years ago. If you paid attention Searching for Sugar Man had footage of the big, triumphant concerts he played there in the late 90's.
    I'm in Australia, where he was reasonably big, but was known as 'Rod Riguez'.

He was unaware of his success in South Africa when his success was at its peak. Nor did he tour there at his peak. Apartheid prevented that. Obviously he is now aware of it.

The British 'BAFTA' award for his movie happened only a short while ago [[2013) and evidently wasn't the biggest award for the Sugar Man movie.

Since Django asked, here is a link to some of my photos.... Django will be showing me around Detroit [[for photography purposes) when the weather warms up in May or June: http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p...ace&p=1&sort=3

[[Yes, night-timer's real name is Robert Wallace - ie, me - and he plans on being the only person in Michigan with an 'Ostrayan' accent, mate.)

The only Michiganders I've met online so far [[apart from Django) are female models on Model Mayhem [[www.modelmayhem.com) who want me to photograph them when I'm in Detroit. Funny, they seem friendlier than Aussie girls. Maybe I'm crazy, but I use photography like a historian rather than to meet chicks.
    Last edited by night-timer; January-20-14 at 07:04 AM. Reason: error

I know this is off topic, but what a catty web site that is! [[Model Mayhem),One woman had over 16,600 web posts!
    That makes CCbatson look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I know this is off topic, but what a catty web site that is! [[Model Mayhem),One woman had over 16,600 web posts!
    That makes CCbatson look good.
    I don't know... and I've been in the media for 26 years!

A lot of those girls on Model Mayhem are far younger than I am. They have a Gen-Y "self-promotion / reality TV / Kardashians" aspect to their existence. No disrespect intended, but many of them are scatter-brains desperately seeking fame.

I'm a white guy from Sydney, Australia, although I've generally kept quiet about that on this website. My love, care and concern for the once proud and powerful American city of Detroit has driven me to visit your legendary hometown to capture the proud history of a city whose day will surely come again.

Truth be told, I'm kinda heart-broken too.

I had the great delight to vist Brisbane in 1975 while under the care of the US Navy. Thanks for the good time!

oscar-winning-director-malik-bendjelloul-dies

Sixto is still with us, but the documentary director has expired for some unknown reason.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014...ndjelloul.html

Just got back from his show at the Masonic, I was surprised he didnt mention anything of Maliks death. I did walk out near the end though. He may have given credit to him moments after I left.
    Good show, not the best though. The first half was fairly rockin and had me dancing stage right main floor above an atrium [[Snowbank says it's called an atrium) where there was a little space to get down. After a few songs a bunch of kids joined me on my little private dance floor. I had a great time.

Was anyone else there tonight?