Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Hybrid View

Default Andrew Jackson Intermediate School

I went to Andrew Jackson Intermediate School 1951 to 1953 in the 7th and 8th grades. It was located on Marlborough and Waveney. When I tried to look it up on Google Maps, it said that the site was Finney High School. I looked at the satellite image of the school and the shape sure looked like the shape of Jackson. It looks to be the original building and was just converted from a Jr HS to a HS.

Anyone know what year Jackson became Finney?

My mother also attended Jackson before entering Denby.

As for the Finney issue, a little Googling made it clear that what we both know as the Finney HIgh of our past - on Cadieux - has been closed, apparently last year. So I would imagine that the transfer of the Finney name happened at that time.

Also, I was doing some research earlier today in connection with the announcement in another thread that Carleton - my old elementary - was closing. I wound up going to the Detroit Public Schools site and pulling up the following link:

http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/admin/p...aster_Plan.pdf

...which is a PDF document of apparently a Powerpoint presentation outlining plans for the changes in the school system for the next few years. You have go down several slides into the presentation to find them, but there are slides indicating that the closed Finney will be torn down and replaced with a new school to be called Crockett High.

There are also other slides titled "Current Finney Neighborhood" which are actually not of what we know as Finney but which are of the Jackson/Hamilton area, further confirming that that name transfer has taken place.

A list of all current schools, with links to individual pages of each school, can be found at this link:

http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/schools/all-schools/

It is particularly interesting on that list to click on various schools and see the boundary maps for which students now attend those schools.

Finally, there is a Flicker photo stream which includes pictures of the insides and outsides of many Detroit high schools, including several photos of Finney, at this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theblac...7609591113328/

Thanks, EMG. Jackson originally served Hosmer, Clark, Wayne, and Arthur Elementary Schools. The Hosmer and Clark students went to Jackson for 7, 8, and 9th grades and to Southeastern for 10 to12. The Wayne and Arthur students went to Jackson for 7 and 8th grades and to Denby for 9 to 12.

Arthur expanded to K-8 and her students were phased out of Jackson. The Wayne parents wanted Wayne to expand to K-8 so that their kids wouldn't have to be bussed to Jackson. The principal at Jackson, Mack Monroe, was pretty high up in Wayne County Dem politics and always nixed the plan.

Jackson had amazing facilities for an intermediate/jr high school. Easy to see how they could use the building for a high school.

They used chartered DSR buses to take the Wayne students to Jackson.

I don't even remember Arthur as an elementary school, though I may have heard stories at some point, perhaps on these forums somewhere, but I'm not even sure of that. We are talking about the Arthur on King Richard between Harvard and Boleyn, right? At the time I attended DPS [[1966-1972) I went to Carleton, and Arthur was a junior high which I believe if I had stayed in the system I would have attended for grades 7-8 before going to Denby for 9-12. As it was I left DPS after grade 5 to start University Liggett in grade 6 and went through their 6-8 middle school and 9-12 upper school, graduating in '79. Meanwhile along the way I thing Arthur underwent a couple of name changes and I think it was called something like Region 7 Middle School and/or Dorothy Fisher. A bit too lazy at the moment to look back at those slides to see what they're calling it today!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I don't even remember Arthur as an elementary school, though I may have heard stories at some point, perhaps on these forums somewhere, but I'm not even sure of that. We are talking about the Arthur on King Richard between Harvard and Boleyn, right? At the time I attended DPS [[1966-1972) I went to Carleton, and Arthur was a junior high which I believe if I had stayed in the system I would have attended for grades 7-8 before going to Denby for 9-12. As it was I left DPS after grade 5 to start University Liggett in grade 6 and went through their 6-8 middle school and 9-12 upper school, graduating in '79. Meanwhile along the way I thing Arthur underwent a couple of name changes and I think it was called something like Region 7 Middle School and/or Dorothy Fisher. A bit too lazy at the moment to look back at those slides to see what they're calling it today!
    In the 1940s, Chester Arthur Elementary School was located on King Richard and Boleyn. It was a K-6 school. By 1952, it had expanded to K-8. We lived right on the boundary between Wayne and Arthur.

I also went to Jackson Jr. High and graduated from the 9th grade in 1962 to go to Cass Tech. Go to this link and you will see that DPS has indeed made the old Jackson the "new" Finney:
    http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/schools/school/530

Seems like a small building for a high school.

The Jackson district reached further south later on. My cousins went there from Carstens and Guyton. And Guyton is quite a ways away south of Jefferson.

It seems strange to me that they would close Finney in favor of using Jackson as a high school. Particularly since the area around Jackson is pretty depopulated, especially when compared with the still pretty intact and dense neighborhoods further east in Finney's district.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The Jackson district reached further south later on. My cousins went there from Carstens and Guyton. And Guyton is quite a ways away south of Jefferson.

It seems strange to me that they would close Finney in favor of using Jackson as a high school. Particularly since the area around Jackson is pretty depopulated, especially when compared with the still pretty intact and dense neighborhoods further east in Finney's district.
    If I understand the plan correctly, the move to Jackson is temporary. The Warren/Cadieux building is going to be torn down and rebuilt, and then Finney will move back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    I also went to Jackson Jr. High and graduated from the 9th grade in 1962 to go to Cass Tech. Go to this link and you will see that DPS has indeed made the old Jackson the "new" Finney:
    http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/schools/school/530

Seems like a small building for a high school.
    Jackson packed in a lot of facilities. The main drawback for its use as a high school would be its lack of athletic fields. It has/had a great gym and swimming pool. It also has/had a very extensive wing of shops for vocational education.

Finney became a HS about 1961

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    Finney became a HS about 1961
    Yes, in the early fifties, there was only Denby, Pershing, and Southeastern out there.

What has become of this school?? Noticed recently all of the windows have been removed.

Yes, Jackson will soon be ruble, as will Hosmer.