Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What was the name of that cranky anti-busing broad in the '70s that propelled Paterson's political career? Is she still around SE Mich. I wonder if she ever got SMART. ouch

It would be nice to see the Pistons return downtown. I really think that Bing and Patterson is working together but giving the illusion that they are at odds. It is the old good cop bad cop game.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    What was the name of that cranky anti-busing broad in the '70s that propelled Paterson's political career? Is she still around SE Mich. I wonder if she ever got SMART. ouch
    Irene McCabe died a few years ago. She lived out the rest of her days as a successful Realtor in Pontiac. There is a profile of her in the Detroit Historical Museum's current Hero or Villain exhibit. I know where I'd say she falls, but I'd rather not speak ill of the dead here

Some things never change, L Brooks saying Detroit's mayor is trying to steal his team and Pistons never relocating to their home city. Will this ever end?

Here a quote from L Brooks in a piece in the Freep yesterday:

Wayne County Executive Warren Evans drew a warm shout-out from Patterson, as did Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, who heard hearty praise from Oakland County's veteran boss for fostering downtown investment, mass transit and a new hockey arena. Duggan also "undoubtedly is working overtime to attract the Detroit Pistons," Patterson quipped.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/02/04/oakland-county-brooks-patterson-tax-cut/22898095/

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Some things never change, L Brooks saying Detroit's mayor is trying to steal his team and Pistons never relocating to their home city. Will this ever end?

Here a quote from L Brooks in a piece in the Freep yesterday:

Wayne County Executive Warren Evans drew a warm shout-out from Patterson, as did Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, who heard hearty praise from Oakland County's veteran boss for fostering downtown investment, mass transit and a new hockey arena. Duggan also "undoubtedly is working overtime to attract the Detroit Pistons," Patterson quipped.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/02/04/oakland-county-brooks-patterson-tax-cut/22898095/
    Sounds as if L. Brooks might be worried. I'd be willing to make book that Mayor Mike will eventually win this one. No doubt, he's got the bigger set of jewels of the two of them.

Every year the Palace gets older[[3rd oldest arena in the NBA), the more vulnerable the Pistons become...

Detroitboy, Nice pun there at the end of your post, funny shit...

Every year the Palace gets older[[3rd oldest arena in the NBA), the more vulnerable the Pistons become...
    I really don't think the age of the building is relevant in this case. it's been continuously updated and renovated over those years and is still a prime area. It wasn't let go like JLA under illitch... but I mean, are we suprised at that?

The Pistons aren't moving unless Gores decides to scrap and part out Palace Sports and Entertainment. He's not going to share an arena with Illtich and he's not going to drop a 500 mill+ to build a new single use venue.
    Last edited by bailey; February-05-15 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I really don't think the age of the building is relevant in this case. it's been continuously updated and renovated over those years and is still a prime area. It wasn't let go like JLA under illitch... but I mean, are we suprised at that?

The Pistons aren't moving unless Gores decides to scrap and part out Palace Sports and Entertainment. He's not going to share an arena with Illtich and he's not going to drop a 500 mill+ to build a new single use venue.
    i would question why l Brooks would even mention this then[[albeit I was surprised)? Unless he is setting up tax payers to prepare for a new Pistons Arena in Oakland County maybe?

I hope Gores "scraps" the Pistons if his plan is to stay in AH...

i would question why l Brooks would even mention this then[[albeit I was surprised)? Unless he is setting up tax payers to prepare for a new Pistons Arena in Oakland County maybe?

I hope Gores "scraps" the Pistons if his plan is to stay in AH...
    It think it was a throw away line and Brooks being snarky.

He mentioned it solely because he is cranky and defensive.

Bailey, the Palace is the opposite of a "prime" area. Also, can you provide any attribution for your statement that Gores wouldn't share an arena?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Bailey, the Palace is the opposite of a "prime" area. Also, can you provide any attribution for your statement that Gores wouldn't share an arena?
    Typo.. should have been "prime arena".

I don't have an attribution other than to find it incredibly unlikely he'd have the palace, where he owns the building, concessions and acres of parking and keeps 100%, go dark on all those home nights only to rent space from Olympia [[PS&E's direct and only real competition). What economic sense does it make?
    Last edited by bailey; February-05-15 at 12:38 PM.

It think it was a throw away line and Brooks being snarky.
    Maybe. But the loss of the Auburn Hills Pistons is on his mind.

He also effectively called Hackel a redneck that doesn't know what indoor plumbing is. Charming fellow, LBP.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Maybe. But the loss of the Auburn Hills Pistons is on his mind.

He also effectively called Hackel a redneck that doesn't know what indoor plumbing is. Charming fellow, LBP.
    People love taking things out of context and trying to make them seem worse than what they are.

LBP was responding to jokes that Hackel made during his state of the county address. His comments were made in jest and he also picked on himself, Warren Evans, and Mike Duggan.

A funny moment during the LBP State of the County is when someone called his cell phone which he forgot to silence.

Gotcha, Bailey.

The decision to sink so much money into it recently was curious, but I agree it nonetheless makes it a nice arena. Will they succeed in getting a big name-rights sponsor? I am not sure... they'll get one, but it won't be the $100M they are seeking.

Olympia might offer a super cheap rent deal if they believe the Pistons would support all of the retailers they are seeking, thus increasing rents and really igniting the 'district.' This plus the ability to get all sorts of terms and conditions that are favorable to Olympia might lead them towards making a deal that works financially for the Pistons, who would then be promised a boost in attendance and overall fanship.

The Pistons would generate much more money in Detroit than they are in Auburn Hills. I don't know what was in the contract that Gores had signed when he had purchased the Pistons. Bing wasn't a good cheerleader for Detroit by motivating Gores to move the Pistons to Detroit. The location of Detroit alone is a money draw for any sports team. Had Davidson would had passed away Under the Kilpatrick or Duggan administration the aggressive move to get the Pistons to Detroit would had been done by both Administrations

The Palace could hardly be more prime. You just don't like it because it's in evil, prosperous Oakland County, and the taxpayers didn't subsidize the joint. Has to be deeply subsidized in bankrupt Detroit, in about-to-be-bankrupt Wayne County, or it's bad.

Do you own your house or business? Would you just abandon your owned house or profitable business to pay rent for a shared house or to pay to work for a competitor somewhere else? Probably not.

Why don't you tell us why Gores would abandon the Palace, which he owns, lose all his revenue streams, and become a tenant in a competing arena? Why would that make any sense? Even if the Cass Corridor were Beverly Hills and the Pistons were the Lakers why would that make a lick of sense?
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-05-15 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    People love taking things out of context and trying to make them seem worse than what they are.
    Fair enough - I'll admit to only having read the Freep's summary, which didn't provide the context. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Palace could hardly be more prime. You just don't like it because it's in evil, prosperous Oakland County, and the taxpayers didn't subsidize the joint. Has to be deeply subsidized in bankrupt Detroit, in about-to-be-bankrupt Wayne County, or it's bad.
    No need to rehash old conversations. It's not in a central location whatsoever, and it's not in the sort of area that houses a successful, modern arena, which by and large [[particularly away from the west coast) are ideally situatated in central cities [[in fact, the trend marches on, with the Islanders moving from Nassau County to downtown Brooklyn). Not prime.

Do you own your house or business? Would you just abandon your owned house or profitable business to pay rent for a shared house or to pay to work for a competitor somewhere else? Probably not.
    I do not, but the answer depends on resale value and the overall profits which may or may not gleaned under a lease arrangement. You're making it too black and white. See below.

Why don't you tell us why Gores would abandon the Palace, which he owns, lose all his revenue streams, and become a tenant in a competing arena? Why would that make any sense? Even if the Cass Corridor were Beverly Hills and the Pistons were the Lakers why would that make a lick of sense?
    I described a situation where it could make sense, in my previous post. Read better.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Fair enough - I'll admit to only having read the Freep's summary, which didn't provide the context. My bad.
    I just got done watching the state of the County address this morning while I was "working", so that's why I had a little more insight than the Freep article.

Also of note, Mr. Patterson's age and injury is starting to show. He walked briefly over to a chair on a podium. Although his body is affected, he's sharp as a tack in his brain and witty as ever.

DetroitBoy Guest

I just got done watching the state of the County address this morning while I was "working", so that's why I had a little more insight than the Freep article.

Also of note, Mr. Patterson's age and injury is starting to show. He walked briefly over to a chair on a podium. Although his body is affected, he's sharp as a tack in his brain and witty as ever.
    And as BIG as a HOUSE even in those blackout drapes fashioned into a suit!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    And as BIG as a HOUSE even in those blackout drapes fashioned into a suit!
    In Oakland County we prefer the term "well-fed".

DetroitBoy Guest

In Oakland County we prefer the term "well-fed".
    Yes in BH we have well fed husbands with anorexic wives.

Why wouldn't he share an arena with Ilitch? Pretty much every NBA team that is in an NHL market shares its stadium with the NHL. The Pistons are currently the sixth least valuable franchise in the NBA. Even accounting for market size, they are significantly under-performing, being less valuable than smaller market teams like the Memphis Grizzlies, Indiana Pacers and Utah Jazz. Owning the house may not really be all it's cracked up to be... Especially when the house is in the middle of nowhere and even renovation gimmicks aren't helping to fill lucrative corporate suites:

Forbes mentions $40 million worth of renovations by owner Tom Gores as a potential reason for the upswing in ticket sales, though it also notes that the Pistons have still had trouble selling suites, with only 10 of 64 leased.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/01/22/forbes-pistons-one-of-nbas-least-valuable-franchises/

Wow, that is pathetic suite performance in a metro area with so many large corporations. I expected better, frankly, even without "upgrades."

Wow, that is pathetic suite performance in a metro area with so many large corporations. I expected better, frankly, even without "upgrades."
    What they really need to "upgrade" is the team. Detroit sports fans are not particularly dazzled by arenas or "scenes", but they will support winning teams. The Pistons could be playing in the Taj Mahal of basketball arenas, and still not attract full houses playing the way they've played over the past several years, with a cast of draft busts, dubious free agent acquisitions, short ends of cap trades, and a bunch of castoff bench fillers. On the other hand, a team that was a threat to go a few rounds in the playoffs would again motivate people to drive en masse out into the hinterlands [[or even downtown), including the corporate bigs that drive those lucrative suite sales.

But spending winter evenings watching them get blown out by the Milwaukee Bucks and their ilk on the way to a 10th place finish just isn't going to motivate enough people to take a drive, shell out $$, or rent pricey suites. If they're unwilling to spend what it takes to be competitive in the NBA, or to go to the trouble of putting together a good team, then downtown may be a somewhat better bet for drawing fans. At least there'd be some other reason to go there and something better for fans to do before & after games than sit there looking at the taillights in front of them.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-06-15 at 10:58 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast