Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The car in that last photo looks like a '57 Plymouth to me. Looks like a Savoy model, by the trim.

Not sure about the roof marking. Probably about mid 70s, and it's been an off and on thing as has the Aviation Section.

Here's a 1971 Plymouth with the two-tone blue and white marking. "Detroit Police" was still yellow reflective lettering without the flying 7.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

And here's another blue/white version from 1989. Sorry, don't know the name of the officer [[or his partner). It ain't me; I was long gone then.

And one more from 1963; again, officers names unknown.

guys check out this website for some really old DPD police cars , love the 1930
    http://tacticalmobileunit.com/tmu-photo-archive.html
    also do a google image search for detroit police car.....tons of them

From that site, here's one for Ray. [[too big to load here)

http://tacticalmobileunit.com/images...l/motorcar.jpg

-------

I remember the Gran Furys and Newports, but I don't remember these light bars.

http://tacticalmobileunit.com/images...-dl/img004.jpg

This is the color scheme I remember for TMUs, but in a different body style.

http://tacticalmobileunit.com/images.../01-723037.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    I think you are correct on the year Ray, the car does look like a '57 Belvedere.
    Too much bright metal around the windows for a Savoy, looks like a DeSoto to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Too much bright metal around the windows for a Savoy, looks like a DeSoto to me.
    Could be...

Thanks for that picture Fury13.

Nothing scarier than 3 suits and a uniform at the wheel.

63 plymouth wagon

dodge seen in Washington DC

looks like the same car in the first pic... have no idea where this was taken

wtf?

not my pix... all found on flickr

Wonder how far they'll get before the extension cord runs out?

Ray1936; in the photo you posted of "the big four", do you know the names of the officers in the photo? One of them resembles Ed Winningham. He worked at #7 in the late 60's. By then he was off of the street. Thanks very much.

Stinger

I just came across this site and find the information very intersting as I am interested in emergency vehicles. I voordinate a couple of emergency vehicle shows in the area. For the past three years I have be in-charge of the Cruisin Michigan Ave., Emergency Vehicle Show in Dearborn Heights. Also last year 2010 and this year 2011 I will be coordinating the Ferndale Emergency Vehicle Show that is held the day before the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Thanks Ray! I did not know DPD used chevy's back then. I had assumed they used Dodge's all the way up the end of the Dodge Diplomat in 1988. I recall '67 riot footage showed the DPD had Plymouths and Dodges.
    Detroit PD had Fords back in the day. The ordered Ford station wagons starting in 1964 till 1973. The wagons were used not only for patrol work, but as ambulances when the need arose to transport ill or injured citizens to the hospital.
    Last edited by Commander; March-20-11 at 10:30 AM.

I think that the first set of lights on the first TMU cars, the emergency warning lights were Federal Twin Beacon Rays

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That blue light in #20 is the same one MSP has been using for years with a red dome. The white stripes were suppose to increase visibility. Inside are 2 - 6" aircraft landing lights. On the open road out in flat country, I've seen those for 3 miles or more.

Building almost looks like something on Belle Isle. All I remember hearing is KQA414, but I remember seeing KQA371 on some paperwork.

None of the cruisers I remember had roof lights; they were all slick tops.

Your first picture [[white car) shows the roof marking for the helicopters. When did they start marking the car roofs?
    What type of warning equipment did the cruisers have? For example red spotlights with rear deck lights.

The photos of the Detroit PD station wagon were taken at the following locations: Autorama and in Madison Heights. The photo in Madison Heights was taken at the Detroit Area Fire/Police Collectors Show.

The 63 Plymouth wagon and the Dodge TMU car have been regulars at my emergency vehicle show that is held in Dearborn Heights as part of Cruisin Michigan Ave. Intersting thing about the TMU car, back in the day Detroit used Plymouth's not Dodge's and they did not have a spotlight. The owner of the vehicle who is with DPD purchaed the car from the New York City Police Museum.

The frist style of light-bar that Detroit had was referred to as Smith & Wesson. The hood signs that you refer to are a throw back to the Michigan State Police. Back in the day the flashing beacon had not been developed yet. So when polcie officers wanted to stop someone the used what was called a "Stop Light." The Michigan State Police have a 1937 Ford that is equipped with one. It was a round light that was red and had the words "Stop State Police." They would pull along side of the offender turn the light on which faced the driver and then made a traffic stop. The current hood fin on MSP cars is a carry over from days of old.

I have a photo of a 1953 Ford from DPD that shows a hood fin on the hood. The car is equipped with a combination siren/flasher mounted on the roof.

For some reason I can't see any of the pictures on this thread so I'm sorry if this one has been posted before:
    1973 Fury
    Name:  copcar001.jpg
Views: 9212
Size:  32.5 KB
    And this one I'm just assuming is about the mid to late-twenties. These are pictures from my Dad's 35th Anniversary book from the DPD in 1973
    Name:  copcar002.jpg
Views: 3957
Size:  40.9 KB
    Last edited by jcole; March-20-11 at 12:07 PM.

Reason the photos are gone, jcole, is because I systematically remove old photos after a while to make space for more. The amount of space Lowell provides each 'member' for photos is limited, justly so. Thus, a little housecleaning is called for every few months by each poster. But you knew that, didn't you?

The car with the radio operator is a 1928 Ford Model T. Detroit PD was the first department to have radio equipped patrol cars. Of course they were only one way radios in that they only could receive radio calls. Normally the car had a driver and radio operator if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That blue light in #20 is the same one MSP has been using for years with a red dome. The white stripes were suppose to increase visibility. Inside are 2 - 6" aircraft landing lights. On the open road out in flat country, I've seen those for 3 miles or more.

Building almost looks like something on Belle Isle. All I remember hearing is KQA414, but I remember seeing KQA371 on some paperwork.

None of the cruisers I remember had roof lights; they were all slick tops.

Your first picture [[white car) shows the roof marking for the helicopters. When did they start marking the car roofs?
    Was there a radio repair building on Belle Isle ? I used to work for a company back around 1993 that did police car conversions. We won a bid for 302 cars to DPD. There was a problem with the holes on a plate that held the radio and other gear in the trunk. I was sent out to Belle Isle to this old brick building on the East side of the island. It had a old tower antenna behind it. Looked like it dated back to the 30's or 40's. Inside was a huge pile of antenas on a bench that looked 2 feet thick. All I remember is being screamed at by a Lt. I finally just told him to call the owner of the company as I had nothing to do with how the plate was made. When I left, I got to drive around the course that was set up for the Gran Prix.

I also remember picking up prisoner screens at the DPW yard on Wyoming and I-96. Yuk. I wore surgical gloves inside my leather gloves. Those were the older style that had the wire mesh at the top. Those things were covered with dried blood, spit and other various body fluids and who knows what else. We used a power washer to clean , then repainted them. Since this was about the time that blood borne pathogens and other health concerns were being addressed, we added a plexiglas sheet to cover the screen with. No more spitting at the cops in the car.

I believe that your are correct about the radio repair facility being located on the island. Back in the day when I did monitor DPD you could hear them calling "Radio Repair" for a radio check or once in awhile you would hear Belle Isle Radio being used to identify the site or them calling "Radio."

I'm not sure if they're still using BIR or if they've moved or contracted the work out. Pictures on Google Earth make it look abandoned.

For a while I think everything went through BIR as far as radio work. But that's when they were real radios and not hybrid computers. Seems to me like there was another shop out in Rouge Park too, but I won't swear to it.

Commander, I've seen your club members turn out at Madison Heights and Ferndale and it looks like you folks had so much fun that I bought a '79 St Regis that I want to turn into a detective or undercover unit. Its got the fancy interior with all the options so it would not make a very convincing patrol unit. It does have the interceptor 360 though. I acquired a police speedometer and police rims/ hubcaps for it. I also want to get a searchlight or two installed in to it.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; March-29-11 at 06:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast