Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

View Poll Results: Where should I look for housing [[to buy)?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indian Village

11 28.21%
  • Royal Oak

9 23.08%
  • Grosse Pointe[[s)

15 38.46%
  • Huntington Woods

6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Sounds like one of the newly coined "Woodward 5" communities might be a good fit: Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Huntington Woods, Royal Oak, and Berkley. All are in Oakland County but have older, nice housing stock.

Ferndale would be my biased choice of those; you can get downtown via Woodward or I-75. Contrary to Gnome's dire warnings for everything not Birmingham, it's 'urban' and safe. Retail, dining, bars, and other things to do within walking distance from just about every neighborhood.

If you're looking for Detroit options, you might check out houses in the nicer portions of East English Village [[I'd look between East Warren and Mack). You might be pleasantly surprised. There are other more expensive neighborhoods as well and some good condo options in greater downtown, as mentioned earlier.

Retroit Guest

Well, that has got to be the best follow-up from any first-time poster I've ever seen!

And enough info for me to vote for Indian Village. Although you might also consider Palmer Woods, or if you are a little more adventurous, Boston-Edison. Of course, a lot still depends on your price range.

Outside of Detroit, any of the Grosse Pointes might provide a home you'd be interested in, or one of cloud_wall's suggestions.

Retroit, Thanks for the kudos! In fact, it's really my first posting anywhere on the internet... [[!) I tend to lurk, & glean information, but haven't had the time / presence of mind to actually post. Of course, I'm doing it in a self-interested fashion here... forgive me.

" How does this mismanagement of RO compare w/ the mismanagement of Detroit city? I hear horror stories about D due to lack of funds, corruption & malaise, but people have mentioned that Oakland county's different."

Oakland county isn't different; the scale and visibility may be, but corruption and nepotism knows no bounds.

Specifically, RO has offered a tremendous amount of tax breaks as a means to draw businesses into the city over the years. Unfortunately, RO did not diversify enough and threw all of it eggs into the "bar basket". With no additional tax revenue coming in, and a heavy draw on city services that these businesses require, RO is screwed.

My bet is that they will be going before the voters here soon to ask for a millage increase; which will in turn facilitate the usual shit fit that occurs in that city ever so often. They have very poor governmental leadership and very little vision. The school district is good, but even they are trying to screw over their teaching and support staff in this latest round of contract negotiations and has caused quite the kerfuffle. They've also cut busing for next year, so you will have to drive your children to school.

Housing stock has some neat structures in it, but I think that homes values are still very inflated. Speaking of housing stock, I would also caution if you do decide to purchase in RO based on the fact that the city was a hotbed for flips during the housing bubble. Who knows who did what where in those homes; a lot of people made a mint flipping in RO, a large portion of flippers where amateurs looking to turn a quick buck and I would be very concerned about how much lipstick got put on the pig. A ton of those homes had multiple owners in a very short period of time.

PS -- I would also agree with Retroit regarding checking out Palmer Woods. Fucking beautiful area and a great location.

@cloud_wall: Thanks for your suggestions as well. Reading your & others comments, I almost get the idea that if there were a massive push en masse to purchase all distressed properties in the area simultaneously, the urban decay could change to urban renewal. But regardless of people's preferences on where to live, it seems like everyone has a certain fondness for the Detroit metro area. This gives me hope about the region, even though I'm not yet a resident.

Say what you want to about Royal Oak, it's still a damn nice place to live. Yes, maybe too many eggs in the "bar basket" but it remains Oakland County's [[and maybe even the whole metro area's) entertainment center. Away from the Party Central that is downtown, the neighborhoods are attractive and quiet. Overall, I too would recommend any of the "Woodward 5" -- they're centrally located, have good shopping nearby, and are walkable/bikeable. Pleasant Ridge might be the most underrated of the bunch. Very nice. Ferndale has good business strips along Woodward and 9 Mile, but the schools are not good [[warning: Pleasant Ridge uses Ferndale schools as well) and the eastern part of Ferndale is pretty crappy, IMO. Huntington Woods has great quality of life but no downtown. Berkley has a lot of generic postwar Cape Cods that are mostly well kept, and interesting businesses clustered along 12 Mile and Coolidge. Great schools in Berkley; some of the best in the metro area.