Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well, we outscored them over two games. Seems we need a rubber match. How bout a game after the Stanley Cup. We win, they give us the Labbatt brewery. They win, they get Budweiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    As a citizen of our great international city, I feel a great bond with Canada that goes beyond my Canadian grandparents and French Canadian ancestors. So I am thrilled to see the Canadian Olympic performance succeed so well [most gold medals by a country ever] especially in their home-hosted event. Gold medalist Canadian pairs skaters training in Canton with silver medalist Americans is a symbolic snapshot of our special bond.

It also gives me pause to think how blessed we in the US are to have this gentle and prosperous giant of a neighbor and how miserable our life could be if we were hostile neighbors as we see in the Balkans, the Caucasian mountains and other areas of strife. It is something that we take for granted but really never should and instead should give thanks for each and every day.

That said, and as much as I would like to see the American hockey team win a gold medal, I am hoping team Canada will prevail today to bring gold to the final crowning jewel of their successes and in their sporting gift to the world. And why not, with 'our' Steve Yzerman, hockey's greatest gentleman since Gordie Howe, behind the team and our Mike Babcock behind the bench, this will be our Detroit-Windsor win too. Go Canada!
    Hey, this was a win/win situation. I kept hoping the US would win then thinking it'll be great to see Canada win. In many ways there's little difference between our countries and in some there's a huge chasm. Regardless, we're joined at the hips. Go CANADA!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Well, we outscored them over two games. Seems we need a rubber match. How bout a game after the Stanley Cup. We win, they give us the Labbatt brewery. They win, they get Budweiser.
    Labatt versus Budweiser? No matter how that shook down, I think the US would get the better end of the deal.

We feel the win here in Canada... but for the USA great game!!!

That was two truly great teams battling it out, it could have been settled just as effectively with the toss of a coin. Crosby was just in the right place at the right time. One of the best games I've ever watched. Lots of talent out there.

I thought Vancouver did a superb job all around with the games. Couple of glitches, which is gonna happen, and sadness with the death of the luge competitor, but otherwise.....well done, Canada.

Except for that damn Crosby.

Retroit Guest

Ever notice the country hosting the Olympics wins a disproportionate number of medals?

Last time Canada hosted we won all of 5 medals [[none gold), so no.

It probably has a lot do with the Canadian "Own the Podium" program. The whole thing was basically inspired by the US program, especially leading up to the Salt Lake games.

Canadians won a record number of gold medals.

Today's safe bet has to be that there were a record number of hangovers in Canada this morning.

Canada, we're happy for you. Eh?

Retroit Guest

Canada 2010: 1st in gold, 3rd in total medals; in 2006 tied 5th in gold and 3rd in total; in 2002 4th in gold and tied 4th total
    China 2008: 1st in gold, 2nd in total; in 2004 2nd and 3rd; in 2000 3rd in gold, 3rd total
    Italy 2006: 8th in gold, 10th in total; in 2002 tied 6th and tied 6th total [odd, they did better in the U.S. then their own country???]; in 2010 tied 15th and tied 16th
    Greece 2004: 15th in gold, 17th total; in 2008 tied 55th and tied 40th [bad year!]; in 2000 tied 17th in gold and 17th total
    U.S. 2002: 3rd in gold, 2nd total; in 2006 2nd in gold, 2nd total; in 2010 3rd in gold, 1st in total
    Australia 2000: 4th in gold, 4th total; in 2004 4th in gold and tied 4th total; in 2008 6th in gold, 5th total

Well, I guess it's not as obvious as I thought. Countries seem to rank pretty consistently, with a slight edge to the sponsoring country in most cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2