Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Halloween and Haunted Houses

Yes I know that its a little early to bring up Halloween, but believe it or not for some of Us, Halloween is a 365 day a year event. Before I went pro, I literally Lived for that one night a year, where i could get dressed up and scare the crap out of people......

With that said, are there any other halloween addicts on the forum, I was a home Haunter for many years, then started my FX company based on my love for halloween, I know own DarkSyde Acres Haunted House, with aspirations of one day soon being the largest halloween event in the world. within the next 3 years I plan on having 14 separate indoor attractions, and then start building our outdoor events, we have over 70,000 sq. feet and 40 acres to work with... soooooooooooo Im sure my dreams are within reach.

What do you do for Halloween? Do you visit Haunted Houses? do you have a favorite Haunt? Do you hit the clubs and participate in costume contests? Talk to me tell me how you spend October!
    Heres a couple of our NonTypical Haunt videos.......
    Clowns and I Cant believe its not butter

Corrected URL: Clowns

Good stuff.

Thanks Jimaz, glad you liked it.

Don't do Halloween stuff anymore, Bodybagging. But if I did, your place would be on the list of things to see. We used to love going to places such as yours, at Halloween time.

How long have you been in business?

Good luck to you!

Hi Thames, 2010 will be our Third year with DarkSyde Acres, Leave it to me to attempt to build something of this magnitude during the worse economic times in recent history...OOPS
    But Ive been doing FX work for a long time and actually was apart of the haunted house on the boblo boat while docked in River Rouge back in 2005.
    For those that havent visited the site, check it out.... www.DarkSydeAcres.com

Here is a site that lists not only sites in Michigan but all States for allegedly haunted places. The site gives a short description of why the place is haunted. I didn't check it out on Snopes or anywhere else.

^^^^ ?????

I'm one who belives SOMETHING is there. UFO's, spirits, and G.W. Bush. I had a [[1840 era house) haunted experience back in 1985.

Haunted Urban Ledgends at Cass and Selden, it's a haunted church! It was great. Took my 10 year old grandson.
    The proceeds go to the homeless.
    We will defenitly be going back next year.

Detroit Urban Ledgends . Com

We're not big on Halloween here in the UK, although we do it much more now than we used to. I like the whole Haunted House thing and indeed a couple of years ago I spent Halloween in an old house in Bradford, West Yorkshire that was significant in the story of our Civil War [[Cavaliers and Roundheads). Apparently when Oliver Cromwell conquered Bradford he set up his base in this house and told his generals that in the morning they were to go out and kill everyone in Bradford [[because they were royalists). But that night one of his generals had a dream where the ghosts of his ancestors came to him and told him not to kill the people. Luckily Cromwell was very superstitious, believed the story, and the town was saved. Now the house is haunted by the ghost of the general and his family [[so it's said, I saw nothing). Trick or treat happens here now, although it is just a pale imitation of the American version, of which it is a direct copy. A lot of people here don't like it. I'm fine with it provided it's kids and not just wandering drunks [[which I've had on several occasions). But anyway Happy Halloween to everyone!

Back in '99, a group of us went to one on Grand River. You walk into a small foyer where the Exorcist is playing on a rather tiny t.V. mounted up in a corner. They told us that we might end up tumbling about, so it might be wise to leave your purses and wallets at the desk. That was a clever move-to get your anxiety up with that one.

When you walk into it, it was pitch dark, and you are stumbling about blindly in a tightly constructed maze, barely padded with cardboard. Sometimes you had to round odd, narrow angles, get down and crawl through a tunnel [[you may end up crawling for 20 more feet until you realize the tunnel ended and you are just crawling in an open area-Haw!), or shimmy up or slide down a sharp incline. Despite that this was haphazardly put together, it was wise to let you do this for about 15 minutes, as you and your friends are saying "Okay, what kind of a set-up is this anyway?! Is this it?"....
    ....Then a chainsaw revs up[[?!) and a large guy starts coming at you with it. You are now running blindly bumping into stuff, until he occasionally disappears only to reappear later somewhere else. There were only two areas where you could peak through very tiny slats into an area with eerie red light and a scene that only hints at ritualistic sacrifice or something.

The best tension breaker was during one of our "run away" situations, where we went past a turn and actually opened a door into a back janitor/ storage room area that was better lit, and the guy [[with the chainsaw) says "Wait! Nope this way." You all chuckle, go back, he starts the chainsaw and it's Coyote and Roadrunner all over again.

Finally, during the longest run [[after a sharp climb up some inclines), we come to an area we have a looong slide down, and as you see a lit bottom area, you swear it is some absolutely freaked out fuzzy psychedelia purplish lit basement/boiler room. Yet, when you land you find, you are now exiting a chute out into the side parking lot lit with typical Mercury Vapor posts [[it's just all that sight deprivation and hi-jinx that made it look like some unearthly purplish area) and there are some folks laughin' at you saying "Gee, was there someone chasing you in 'der?"

Minimalism that worked on many levels. Yet, it was no Time-Stereo Haunted Tube, but it might as well have been, the way it was constructed.

I always wanted to make a Haunted Zug Island Tour that starts out lame, and then "Mishap!" and the "toxic mutants" get loose from their confinements! Of course, I'm sure there were many plans to make use of the Eloise tunnels for something.

How about this haunted house? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uniFYpiIt14A classic from the '80s. Maybe it reminds us of one of the homes of Detroit's own wealth barons.

Happy Halloween!

Forgot to add this one for good measure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjW0dk2_fgkGuess I'm making up for last year. This is even more of a classic.

Hilarious. They don't write stories like that anymore. I LOLed when Buckwheat ended up on the same treadmill as the other kids.