Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a feeling that it would be misinterpreted: This is a destroyed German/French/Italian factory from WWII that we've reconstructed brick-by-brick here in the city of Detroit, and it looks no different from the day it was bombed seventy years ago.

When talking about a memorial for Detroit's contribution to America's war efforts - WWII but just one, why is Fort Wayne ALWAYS left out of the conversation?

Fort Wayne was the hub of a vast majority of war materiel that was produced not only in Detroit, but across the midwest. Anyone want a few buildings to save for museums, why not Fort Wayne?

Just something to consider. We always can use more volunteers helping out down there!

Subvet
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Quote Originally Posted by SUBVET View Post
    When talking about a memorial for Detroit's contribution to America's war efforts - WWII but just one, why is Fort Wayne ALWAYS left out of the conversation?

Fort Wayne was the hub of a vast majority of war materiel that was produced not only in Detroit, but across the midwest. Anyone want a few buildings to save for museums, why not Fort Wayne?

Just something to consider. We always can use more volunteers helping out down there!

Subvet
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

From your site:
    The Detroit fort would be named for General Anthony Wayne whose defeat of the British at the Fallen Timbers in 1796 resulted in the United States occupation of the Northwest Territories.
    Umm, Mad Anthony Wayne did not defeat the British at Fallen Timbers. Mad Anthony Wayne decisively stomped the crap out of the Indians [[no,no, I mean Native Americans) of the Ohio valley at Fallen timbers and made the great northwest safe for American settlement. So Ft Wayne memorializes the massacre of Native Americans [[not very PC). I know all of this because I am a proud graduate of Anthony Wayne Elementary School [[Lakepointe and Courville) where we were taught the greatness of General Wayne.

By the way, Arsenal of Democracy procurement was not handled out of Ft Wayne, but out of the Detroit Ordnance Office [[later the Ordnance Tank-Automotive Center) which operated in the Union Guardian Building on Beard Street north of the Fort Wayne reservation.

Fort Wayne served primarily as an induction center and regional admin place.
    Last edited by Hermod; February-26-10 at 08:03 PM.

You are getting carried away.
    As if I'm the first one here ever to do so?

MikeG, you write great posts on this forum. I just thought that post was out of character.

Subvet, I couldn't agree with you more. Detroit's ability to manufacture is legendary, but how it got out of here to the battlefields of of Europe and the Pacific is a hidden story, not sexy stuff, and something in which Fort Wayne played a critical role. It gets overlooked much like the role of the merchant marines who suffered incredible casualties and didn't even get veteran benefits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2