Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Comic book collectors

Anyone former or current comic book collectors on Dyes? I collect everything from Golden Age true crim gangster comics to sixties and seventies underground-counter culture and a variety of superhero-independant titles. Many are well written with graphic art intended for 'mature' readers...anyone attending the Novi Comic-con at Rock Financial Center?

I never cared for the super hero genre, instead I read the horror comic books. I have all the comics I collected from age 10 to 14, Twisted Tales, Tales of the Unexpected, and Twilight Zone.

Heres a tale to make anyone sick.
    I collected Comic books from the time I was 7 years old, meticulously storing each issue and storing them away, I grew up in the corridor and comic books were an escape for me. By the time I had reached 19 I had over 35,000 comic books from the 40's,50's,60's,70's,80's, only to have a Girlfriend get hooked on CRACK, and sell my entire collection for who knows what.The value of those books were well above the 250,000-300,000 back in 86. I bet she got under a 100 for them.

I used to collect Marvel Comics titles when I was a kid. Thor, Fantastic Four, Avengers, and others. I had some valuable comics in mint condition [[including Journey Into Mystery #83, FF #5, Avengers #2, and others). Later I became a huge fan of the EC horror and sci-fi books of the '50s.

I would say this thread is definitely, comical..........

Ravine Guest

We'll see who is a comicbook geek, and who isn't, with a bit of trivia.
    No looking this stuff up.
    In which comicbook did The Punisher first appear?
    What issue number?
    Who did the pencils?

I want to say the Amazing Spiderman if memory serves me correctly....cant recall the issue # or who did the penils...probably Sal Buscema
    Many comic books are poetic well written stories with writers and artists taking different approaches to characters...I think my comic book addiction actually kicked into full swing in the late seventies when I would get a rush whenever I walked into Vincents Drug store in Lapeer and seen the latest issue of the Avengers on the circular comic book rack back when George Perez and I think John Byrne were drawing and writing the books..#157-179 Volume 1

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    I never cared for the super hero genre, instead I read the horror comic books. I have all the comics I collected from age 10 to 14, Twisted Tales, Tales of the Unexpected, and Twilight Zone.
    Thats a nice genre..I think DC publilshe Tales of the Unexpected...make sure you bag and board them...are they from the 20 cent era?

Bodybagging and MIWP Im so sorry to hear those stories..you can steel my furniture and tv....my artwork...my stereo ..Id be devastated if I lost my valuable precious comic books...
    Last edited by terryh; February-21-10 at 02:56 PM.

It was totally in the amazing Spiderman back in the early 70s, I had that issue......I remember the cover art was cooler than crap.

A virtual prize goes to the first poster that can explain why Amazing Spider-Man issue #96 was so important.

Ravine Guest

Amazing Spider-Man #129; pencilled by Ross Andru [[whose work I hated.)
    Amazing Spider-Man #96 is noteworthy because it lacked the "Approved by the Comics Code Authority" stamp [[which, basically, was just a bunch of bullshit, anyway.)
    The reason for the non-stampage?
    The story featured heroin use and an overdose. It is helpful to consider that #96 came out in the very early 70's, when comics were still skittish about featuring anything remotely scandalous. That skittishness [[and the origin of the phony-baloney "CCA" stamp) was a reaction to the huge uproar, quite a few years before, about the heavy-handed gore and general luridness found prominently in EC Comics.

Ravine Guest

Well, why stop with that. Let's do some more.

So then, speaking of heroin in comics, which DC character was revealed to be a heroin user, not long after that Spider-Man issue about which I just rambled on?
    Bonus point: Which highly respected artist did the work for the DC story?
    Last edited by Ravine; February-22-10 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #129; pencilled by Ross Andru [[whose work I hated.)
    Amazing Spider-Man #96 is noteworthy because it lacked the "Approved by the Comics Code Authority" stamp [[which, basically, was just a bunch of bullshit, anyway.)
    The reason for the non-stampage?
    The story featured heroin use and an overdose. It is helpful to consider that #96 came out in the very early 70's, when comics were still skittish about featuring anything remotely scandalous. That skittishness [[and the origin of the phony-baloney "CCA" stamp) was a reaction to the huge uproar, quite a few years before, about the heavy-handed gore and general luridness found prominently in EC Comics.
    Ding ding ding! You win the prize...

True, the Comics Code stamp was BS in the end, but in those days it was taken seriously, for the reasons you cite. The initial scandal that led to the Code and its stamp of approval was the Congressional investigation into juvenile delinquency [[thought to have been partially caused by blood and gore in comics), circa 1954; that furor drove EC to discontinue its horror and sci-fi books and concentrate on Mad Magazine.

I remember well when Amazing Spider-Man #96 came out. I remember gawking at the blank space in the upper right-hand corner of the cover where the stamp usually was. It was a huge deal; I guess there was some talk that parents wouldn't let their kids buy that issue. But the time was right to challenge the Comics Code and the payoff was more creativity in content.

I wish I could answer your DC question, but I never collected any DC titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Well, why stop with that. Let's do some more.

So then, speaking of heroin in comics, which DC character was revealed to be a heroin user, not long after that Spider-Man issue about which I just rambled on?
    Bonus point: Which highly respected artist did the work for the DC story?
    Speedy--Green Arrow's partner in the 70s.

I believe it was the great Neal Adams who did the artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Ding ding ding! You win the prize...

True, the Comics Code stamp was BS in the end, but in those days it was taken seriously, for the reasons you cite. The initial scandal that led to the Code and its stamp of approval was the Congressional investigation into juvenile delinquency [[thought to have been partially caused by blood and gore in comics), circa 1954; that furor drove EC to discontinue its horror and sci-fi books and concentrate on Mad Magazine.

I remember well when Amazing Spider-Man #96 came out. I remember gawking at the blank space in the upper right-hand corner of the cover where the stamp usually was. It was a huge deal; I guess there was some talk that parents wouldn't let their kids buy that issue. But the time was right to challenge the Comics Code and the payoff was more creativity in content.

I wish I could answer your DC question, but I never collected any DC titles.
    I happen to have #96..I thought it was an LSD flipout

Ravine Guest

Sorry for posting a trivia question and then forgetting to return.

Terryh is correct. I had that part of the story wrong. The kid thinking that he could fly from a building sure does imply that the drug was of the hallucinogenic variety.
    Clearly, I am my own dope.

Alsodave is correct with both parts of his answer to my last question.

How about Great Lakes Avengers? Set in Wisconsin and Squirrel Girl is a fav with some fans.

Though there is a virtual expanse of endless websites out there catering to the indulgence of comics, this one grabbed mehttp://theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com/. The guy was big into the fantasy realm art of Heavy Metal, strange old covers to Sci-Fi books, and the real cincher for me is that he listed Paul Kirchner's work with Heavy Metal [[including his surreal Bus serieshttp://theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com/search?q=bus-I recall getting a collection of his at an obscure bookstore at the Northland Mall waaaay back in the 80's-wish I still had it.).

Well, the Vault of Midnight opened a store in downtown Detroit back in May. So hopefully this will encourage more Detroit residents to visit the store. Hopefully local and regional indie publishers can get their comics sold there as well.

Here's an old one from Heavy Metal: Harzak - Moebius.

It's amazing how an entire story, of even an alien world, can be told without a single word [[except for the final "fin").

Last edited by Jimaz; June-27-16 at 10:29 PM.