Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Fantasy advice

Start as many Chicago Bears as possible today.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    Alas, I can find more interesting things to do with my Sunday afternoons than sit in front of a TV watching the Lions blow another one. If somebody thinks that is a good use of their time, I would suggest they find a hobby or get a life.
    If a person is so dedicated to this team that they must follow them no matter what, then I would question their state of mind. How many times can you bang your head against the wall before you realize it may not be the best thing for you?
    I agree that we could ALL be doing something a helluva lot more noble than watching our hometown Lions or any other football game- NFL competitive or not, on a Sunday afternoon. We should all be doing something to serve mankind- donate blood, rescuing puppies, hugging trees, whatever- but you've completely missed the point of what it is to be a fan. Is our devotion to our team any more or less mentally sound than the fans of the Chicago Cubs? LA Clippers? Or your kids pop warner team that gets blown out every week??

So please don't get on the high horse and question the devotion of people for their causes. Sometimes those causes will never pan out. It's always simple to cheer for the victors and the teams that succeed.

They lost again. Teased you, then gave you more morsels of lion dung.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    They lost again. Teased you, then gave you more morsels of lion dung.
    You also had your mouth wide open as well.

But then let's admit it, all knowledgeable Lions fans know what we're in for. If they somehow miraculously sneak a victory out, we just count our blessings.

i still watch the History Channel even though I know Romell will always lose, Lee will always surrender, and the Leos will find a way to screw the pooch. As sure as sunrise, tides,taxes and crabs in Paris Hilton's landing strip.

Stanton won himself a tryout next year with someone. .. which means when he returns he'll kick our ass.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Stanton won himself a tryout next year with someone. .. which means when he returns he'll kick our ass.
    What I saw of Drew Stanton's success was in part due to the coaching staff's realization of what it had. I thought Linehan gave him play calling that he knew Stanton could handle. It wasn't overly complicated and kept him within his comfort zone with regards to managing the game. Linehan used Stanton's strength, which I always thought was to run or at least have a mobile pocket. I didn't see any long bombs or too many errant passes because quite honestly, those weren't his strong suits.

I think they also did this when they had Shaun Hill in there as QB too. They knew he was a short pass sort of guy and really didn't have him airing it out or have him running the option or some other out of the ordinary task. So mild kudos to the coaches for realizing what they have at their quarterbacks and trying to utilize them to the best of their capabilities.

Now if they could do that sort of evaluation of their running backs a little better. It was aggravating and borderline ridiculous to see an injured Jahvid Best being shoved constantly between the tackles. Giving him essentially two weeks off seemed to help his game yesterday. And using him in the flats and getting him the ball in open spaces [[despite his injury) seemed like a much better use of his talents.

And even with these subtle adjustments, the Lions still lose a close one to the Bears. I think there needs to be a hard look by the management of this team at the upcoming draft; they need to determine where they can upgrade with the draft and what positions they can fill with free agency and even trades. But even before any of that can happen, they really have to determine what sort of team they want it to be on both sides of the ball. They don't need any fancy titles like "Tampa Two", "Run & Gun", "West Coast" or anything like that- they just need to find a system they can run effectively with the personnel they have and make it work.

How long are we going to have to wait?, when the fans know more than the coaches. Their record so far , the past 3 years is 4 wins and 40 loses. The laughing stock of the NFL.

Pure Michigan commercial, Detroit Lions version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJoRxT6B5g

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    How long are we going to have to wait?, when the fans know more than the coaches. Their record so far , the past 3 years is 4 wins and 40 loses. The laughing stock of the NFL.
    My answer is next year. After that, all bets are off.

I knew after 2008 that this team was a mess. Probably worse off than any expansion team coming into the league in the last twenty or thirty years. I knew that one or even two seasons was unrealistic to the mess around that Millen left.

In 2009, the goal was simple. Just get some wins. They got two. As much as I hated to admit it, that was your 'tangible' progress. You also had intangible progress in that you drafted a franchise QB, you had a dominant safety, a good middle linebacker, and some other pieces that looked to be building blocks.

Going into 2010, the goal was progress. I was never one that thought playoffs were a realistic goal this year. I can see how those who think so have been extremely disappointed. I did think five or six wins was about right, so the current state is disappointing for sure. However, I still see progress in other ways: We've scored more points in twelve games this year than we did in sixteen last year. Our point differential after twelve games last year was -152, this year [[even with the same record) it's -28. Our defensive line is sick. Special teams has gone from a joke to a threat, especially on the return game. Very few would argue that if not for four significant QB injuries and bad officiating, that the Lions would probably have the five or six wins I thought was realistic.

[[And before anybody tells me that every team has to deal with injuries, tell me one team other than Pittsburgh who have started three different QBs and who have sustained success and also tell me how often that you have four major injuries to QBs in a single season).

Next year, though, is when the clock runs out on looking past wins. Obviously, there are many out there like Big Dog who have long moved past that, but I've said all along that 2011 is the earliest realistic goal that they would probably have to be competitive, and that's what I'm sticking with.

Others have pointed out teams in the past who have made dramatic improvements from one, two or three win seasons, and say 'Well, why not the Lions?' I expect that improvement to come this next year.

I think the following things will lead to that and based on the moves made over the last two years in improving the talent on the team are possible:

1) Healthy Matt Stafford - If naysayers want to write him off as injury prone, go ahead. I'm not there yet.
    2) An improved offensive line - If they put even half the effort into this as they did into the d-line last year, they can measurably improve this unit.
    3) Improve the linebacking talent [[ie replace Julian Peterson)
    4) Continue to improve the secondary

Not only do I think these things are possible, I am expecting them to happen. I think they will happen.

Think of this. The point differential has been improved by roughly 10 points a game. If they can continue to improve by even half that amount next year, you're changing the scores by five points per game. Based on their schedule this year they'd currently be 7-5 or 8-4. I don't know about you, but a year from now if that's their record, I'll take it.

So back to my answer: Next year. Next year is when, right now, I expect them to be sitting at seven or eight wins and us talking about what they need to do to finish strong and garner a playoff spot.

Of course, that all assumes a 2011 season is even played, which is another matter altogether....
    Last edited by sirrealone; December-07-10 at 10:56 AM.

With apologies to Janis Joplin;

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color tv
    The Lions sold out Sunday, I can see the game for free
    I wait for delivery each day until three
    Oh Lord, won't you bring me a Lions victory.

DR., Keep your day job.

Calvin's comments on 97.1 yesterday were interesting and foreboding. When Mr. Quiet says he is tired of losing and doesn't understand why he isn't thrown to more, tells me he is counting the days until he can get out of town.

So with one yr left on his contract, should we trade for needed help on the O line, D backs, linebacker or pray that next yr brings a 180 in our fate and therefore excite Calvin enough to want to stay?

So with one yr left on his contract, should we trade for needed help on the O line, D backs, linebacker or pray that next yr brings a 180 in our fate and therefore excite Calvin enough to want to stay?
    180? This is the Lions and I expect much more. Im predicting a 360 degree change next year!

Calvin's comments on 97.1 yesterday were interesting and foreboding. When Mr. Quiet says he is tired of losing and doesn't understand why he isn't thrown to more, tells me he is counting the days until he can get out of town.

First of all, Calvin has two years left on his contract. He signed a six year deal, and is currently in his fourth season. Typically, though, you'd expect that the Lions would want to renegotiate it before it expires, so a year from now should really tell the story of where this is headed.

Second, should we trade him?

No, no and no.

I think his comments are telling in that he is frustrated by not winning and wants to win. I fully understand that and I also expect that his comments came as no surprise to anybody in the Lions organization. Does this make Mayhew or Schwartz go out and change the plan? No. They are building the team around their anchors, one of whom is Johnson, and they believe they are building a winner. And Johnson is one of the pieces that they're building around.

Bottom line, it's way too early to start thinking about blowing up their plan, and make no mistake, if they traded CJ now that's exactly what they'd be doing.

A year from now will tell whether this regime is really headed in the right direction. I've said over and over again that next year is the season which it should all come together. If it does, then I think CJ will be happy and the Lions look at a contract extension. If next season somehow goes south, then that's when you think about making a move with CJ, since chances are things would be shaken up across the entire organization.

Let's wait a year before having this discussion in earnest. I believe that we won't have the need as I'm still expecting that 2011 is the year when it starts to come together for our Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    180? This is the Lions and I expect much more. Im predicting a 360 degree change next year!
    not great with math, but I'd bet ya that the Leos aren't praying to spin around and end up in the exact same place.
    ---
    SA, you're right of course, trading CJ now would be premature at this time; hwever, if he is unhappy with how he is being used, it will be tough selling him on the idea of staying.

Without a doubt, one of the issues Barry had was that the Lions misused his talents. Regardless of which coach he had they kept him as the lone back. CJ knows enough to know that greatness can die here.

Lions D-line was superb today. It was also nice to see we got some good breaks, instead of the usual bad ones, too. This is a good win.

There is a god afterall.

You gotta admit , we've been screwed out of a possible 2 wins this season with the non touchdown , and the legal hit by Suh last week resulting in the winning TD . I believe the Lions are getting better , the record doesn't reflect that though . Today was a great win since we haven't beaten the Packers in what 5 years ? Not a bad day at all considering how many of our best players are out with injuries , the offense should treat the defense to a steak dinner , I can only imagine how much that bill would be lol

Its going to be strange watching the Vikings play the Jets at Ford Field tomorrow night

This latest game was by no means a gem but who are we Lions fans to complain considering some of the close ones we’ve lost early on.

Usually after Thanksgiving, our Lions have already packed it in but I think this is where Jim Schwartz is starting to instill a little sense of pride and hope with this team. This team has seemed to scrap in each and every one of its games and this was no different with the exception of a victory at the very end.

A few of the things that I thought the Lions’ braintrust did well was play with a little more creativity. They were not afraid to utilize Stanton as a runner; 44 yards on four rushes is no Michael Vick but it kept the Packers honest. Using Stefan Logan in the backfield was also innovative. On a few of those lower to the ground camera angles, we really can see how difficult it is to pick up the ball carrier. Having a speedy guy like that darting through was nice and I think this is what Jahvid Best was supposed to be doing before he got dinged up. Mixing up the running game against a porous Packers run defense was smart.

Defensively I’ve always like it when the defensive line can get the push so well, they can actually start shifting on the line and causing blocking difficulties for the opposing team’s offensive line. I thought the back-ups in Sammie Hill and Laurence Jackson were really solid on that line. Fluellen & Mcbride were constantly in the face of Flynn too. So kudos to the front four of the Lions; they really won the game for us.

It definitely was not the game many of us expected. I think the over/under in Las Vegas was around 45-46 and for this low scoring affair to happen with a Lions victory was a nice boost of confidence in this team. But then for this team to be somewhat successful, I don’t think Schwartz can play conventional football with this bunch- we just can’t match other teams talent wise. We need him, Cunningham and Linehan to be much more innovative, take some chances, and maybe steal games like what just happened today. Like Schwartz said after the game “It wasn’t pretty but it was beautiful”.

The defensive line effort brought back memories of the great 1962 Lions defensive 4 of Alex Karras, Roger Brown, Darris McCord and Sam Williams. I was in high school in Wisconsin at the time and thus the only Lions fan in Packer country. On the Thanksgiving day game the Lions absolutely destroyed the league-leading Packers. The defensive four sacked future hall of famer QB Bart Starr 11 times. He ended up with something like negative 100 yards rushing and I got chortle at school the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I was in high school in Wisconsin at the time and thus the only Lions fan in Packer country.
    Just curious as to why you were a Lions fan living in Wisc? Even most Michigan residents up that way are Packer fans. You must of took your fair share of abuse.

I dont think I could ever root for the Packers. I think I might root for the Vikings tonight, that should be an intersting game. Hope we all show what kind of fans we are, because we all know Lions fans are the best. Just imagine what it would be like if we won it all some day.

All I want for Christmas is this road losing streak to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Santa Claus heard you loud and clear. He and the Lions delivered. By no means was it pretty. It was a slapping match and we got in the last slap.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post

Merry Christmas!

Good game by Stanton especially protecting the football. He just bought himself another 3 years in the NFL. Great effort by our offensive line too. Good riddance to "the streak". I was tired of that nonsense.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast