Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I'd like to see what Mayhew/ Lewand will do in free agency the next few weeks. Once they start targeting and obtaining some of those pieces, it could start setting up for their picks in the draft. Are the Lions going after Kyle Vanden Bosch? Will there be a trade for Antonio Cromartie? Will there be a chance of obtaining Anquan Boldin for a third round draft pick?

And if we get these people in free agency and/or by trading for them, how is this going to affect their selections in the upcoming draft? Will Mayhew trade the number two pick away to get more picks? Really there isn't much news to talk about now because it's all speculative at best and Martin Mayhew is staying mum- which I kind of like. I don't foresee Mayhew saying much until any deal is done. We fans can speculate all we want, but he's not going to show his hand until the trigger is pulled. And even if there is going to be a swap at the day of the draft, I can see him stone cold poker faced at the table not flinching until he's heard every last offer before he makes a move. But as of this very moment, our Lions are no better nor are they any worse than they were the very last day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Will there be a trade for Antonio Cromartie?
    Scratch that one if you believe the Detroit News reports-
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...onio-Cromartie

The straight up for a fourth or fifth rounder might not have been bad but they also wanted Maurice Morris who seemed like the more explosive back after Kevin Smith went on the DL last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    The straight up for a fourth or fifth rounder might not have been bad but they also wanted Maurice Morris who seemed like the more explosive back after Kevin Smith went on the DL last year.
    I can't imagine Maurice Morris was the dealbreaker in this trade. Even if they were to trade Morris and a pick, that would scrub a starting CB off the list, which would make taking a RB in the second or third a more justifiable strategy. At that point, you could sign someone just as good if not better than Morris, wait for Smith to come back plus the new rookie [[I wouldn't mind seeing LeGarrette Blount in the third) and you'd be upgraded from 2009.

I would venture to guess that the draft pick requested was probably more of a sticking point, if in fact this deal is dead. I read that one possibility here was that SD wanted either Detroit's fourth or fifth [[which is practically a fourth anyways), where Detroit maybe didn't want to part with anything higher than the fifth rounder that they obtained from Denver. They most likely think that they can get good value from the fourth or early fifth round pick, and since Cromartie has one year on his deal, that might not be worth it to Mayhew.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I can't imagine Maurice Morris was the dealbreaker in this trade. Even if they were to trade Morris and a pick, that would scrub a starting CB off the list, which would make taking a RB in the second or third a more justifiable strategy. At that point, you could sign someone just as good if not better than Morris, wait for Smith to come back plus the new rookie [[I wouldn't mind seeing LeGarrette Blount in the third) and you'd be upgraded from 2009.

I would venture to guess that the draft pick requested was probably more of a sticking point, if in fact this deal is dead. I read that one possibility here was that SD wanted either Detroit's fourth or fifth [[which is practically a fourth anyways), where Detroit maybe didn't want to part with anything higher than the fifth rounder that they obtained from Denver. They most likely think that they can get good value from the fourth or early fifth round pick, and since Cromartie has one year on his deal, that might not be worth it to Mayhew.
    It very well could have been what San Diego valued Cromartie at and what Detroit's perception of his value. Cromartie was once a Pro Bowler and I'm sure SD wants to tout that he still has it in him and Detroit's bound to talk about the declining productivity since then. Knowing of his multiple kids with multiple women away from the game haven't exactly helped his character. The $25,000 in missed child support also signals some character issues to which the Lions will probably bring up in negotiations as well.

San Diego obviously values Morris as he's a known commodity and could start immediately in replacement of Tomlinson. I'm sure both sides talk up the value of what they have to offer and respectfully talk down the value of what's being shown to them.