Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pets

LodgeDodger Guest

Received a call from the Rescue. The pooch I'm hoping to adopt is still available. They're doing a home inspection early next week.

Res, thanks for the info. Are you able to write off the cost of vet bills and food?

Driv-

No problem.

The vet bills are covered by Leader Dogs as they have you bring both the puppies and the breeding mommas to their vet clinic and they cover all procedures and give out meds right then and there. We don't pay a cent for any veterinary services at all.

As for food, that is your responsibility, but they are always sending discount coupons to us and the cost is not that astronomical at all. Also, your mileage to and from the Leader Dog facility and to and from any events you attend is deductible, as well as any incidental costs you may have associated to participating in events.

Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else I can help out with. Good luck with your endeavor.

On their website section for raising a puppy it says the host family is responsible for vet bills. It would make it easier for sure if I could take the pup to their vet.

LodgeDodger Guest

We're getting a home inspection Monday night from the folks at the rescue.

dodger, I know this will sound a tad Urban Legendesque, but I've heard that some of these pet rescue inspectors actually case your house for points of entry. They check if you have an alarm, deadbolts, window locks ... ask too amny personal questions like how long the pet will be alone during the day, will the beasty have a cage, etc ... I'm sure you can see the paranoid drift of this post.

I don't know if this "Legend" is true, but I'd ask your Rescue people if they carry liability insurance. Seems like a dream for a robber to walk into your house, check out your security, know when you're not there ....

Sorry for ruining your excitement.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    dodger, I know this will sound a tad Urban Legendesque, but I've heard that some of these pet rescue inspectors actually case your house for points of entry. They check if you have an alarm, deadbolts, window locks ... ask too amny personal questions like how long the pet will be alone during the day, will the beasty have a cage, etc ... I'm sure you can see the paranoid drift of this post.

I don't know if this "Legend" is true, but I'd ask your Rescue people if they carry liability insurance. Seems like a dream for a robber to walk into your house, check out your security, know when you're not there ....

Sorry for ruining your excitement.
    Excitement isn't ruined, my friend. Thank you for the warning.

call me wet blanket

Hey....is that dog still nameless? No news in a while, so I am curious!

Who? Stinky?

Last week, we adopted a dog that was in a hoarding situation.

We've never had to train a dog like this and sometimes, I'm not sure what to do. I know in some situations, you treat them the same as any other dog, but you can't always do that with her.

I am trying to find information about training a dog that has been in her situation, get some insight on the behaviors she is exhibiting, and get tips on how to bring her out of her shell.

As far as the training, one example of when I'm hesitant is when she whimpers. Should I go to her? Typically you don't do that, you're supposed to ignore it. Butttt, we're trying to get her socialized...

As far as behavior, she seems to be coming along well, but I sure would like something to gauge that assessment.

What keeps coming up on the google are reports of hoarding situations, articles about dogs that hoard their toys or other objects, books and stories about the mental state of people that hoard, etc.

She's been to the vet, the vet just said to get her socialized. Of course, we've been working on that.

We already have one dog, so I'm hoping she too will help Sammie figure out how to be a dog.

I hope the day comes soon, when she learns how to play, either with us, the other dog, or a toy. Anything! She's not mean or anything, she just doesn't have a clue what to do.

Has anyone ever taken in a dog like this? Or does anyone know where to get info? Maybe I need a LMGTFY? Thanks!

dut dutta dah!

Default rescue dog & pets in general

I'm so glad to see a pets thread since pets are an important part of my life! I have 3 dogs--2 Pembroke Welsh Corgis & 1 elderly black Lab. My housemates have 3 Corgis--2 Pems & 1 Cardigan, & 1 cat. I have had cats [[1 lived to almost 20) but I'm mostly a "dog person". I also had a horse who passed away @ 30something in 2003. So we have a houseful of pets, but fortunately the house is large & so is the yard. I worked as a veterinary assistant for 17 years until I lost my job in 2007 when the clinic was sold. I had lived in an apartment on premises & lost that too. It was a stressful time but for now we are settled & I pet /house sit for my housemates who travel lot & I also do petsitting in the neighborhood, mainly horse care. My Lab & 1 Corgi are rescues & the Corgi needed a lot of socialization. Not from a hoarder, but neglected. I really hate animal hoarders--whatever their problems, it's not the animals' fault. Humans have choices, animals don't. Hoarders should do time in a dog kennel in their own filth. This is my opinion, though I know many disagree. Especially here in bleeding-heart liberal Seattle! I have also volunteered for a dog rescue group & @ animal control.

Thames, you might google dog email lists. There are many for breeds & also for different illnesses & problems. There is a list for shy dogs. Yahoo groups has lists--I'm on WheelCorgis, which is for Corgis who use canine carts. I'm also on Corgi L. These lists can give good advice as well as moral support.

Thames, how is your dog doing?

Quote Originally Posted by mittengal View Post
    Thames, how is your dog doing?
    Thank you for asking and thanks for the advice on finding advice!

She is better than when we brought her home, but she is far from "adjusted". She has the sweetest disposition though, not an aggressive bone in her body.

She wags her tail now when she sees me, and she has started grooming herself. Doing some normal dog stuff [[yay!) but she has a long way to go.

We were deciding between her; a two year old hoarded animal, and a shepherd/mix puppy, about 7 weeks old.

We really wanted that puppy, but decided to give the two year old a chance. She's been waiting longer to get one.

That was a good cause, Thames. I am sure your dog will reward you many times over. Now, what is meant by "hoarding" when it applies to dogs?

Sounds like your dog will be ok, Thames.

Regarding animal hoarders, they were called "collectors" but hoarders is the current term. They collect animals like regular hoarders collect junk They have way more pets than they should & a dirty cluttered house. Usually the pets are poorly cared for.The worst ones keep the pets in small cages in their own filth, like a concentration camp. There is a show on Animal Planet called Confessions of Animal Hoarders. It's called a mental illness but then everything is a disease anymore

Farnsworth Boone Dog.

I found him in a field on the east side, he jumped in my truck when I asked im if he wanted to ride and he rode with me till the end. He was always a street dog but he also knew he had a home. My girl convinced me to get him snipped and that was probably the best thing because he was quite the stud.

I took him out to Mars Metal on Lonyo south of Michigan Ave. so I could pick up some supplies and Boone took off on me. I told my friend at Mars that Farns is probably going to come back here lookin for me in a minute and to lock him in the shop and Id pick him up in the morn. I had a quick job to be at so I went and got it done, headed home and when I pulled up to the house Farns was there running from my front porch an jumpin in the back of my truck wanting to go somewhere else. He made his way from Lonyo back to Mt Elliot in less than an hour. He had a big smile on his face, he was so proud, and so was I.

Like I said, he was a street dog.
    Attached Images

Beautiful dog, Django! Is he still with you?

Meet Mathilda [[Tillie) Markowski, 11 weeks old, not quite 5 lbs and able to leap 2.5 feet in a single bound.
    Attachment 7567

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Meet Mathilda [[Tillie) Markowski, 11 weeks old, not quite 5 lbs and able to leap 2.5 feet in a single bound.
    Attachment 7567
    What a little cutie!

Not mine, but Jesse is one energetic dog!

Jesse is very cute!

LodgeDodger Guest

jcole, do you realize your dog looks as if she's wearing lipstick?

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    jcole, do you realize your dog looks as if she's wearing lipstick?
    It's a very dark shade for so young a lady, but then, I am somewhat permissive, you know.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast