Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pets

Default Pets

Love our dog, an ancient Puggle. He make me laugh when nothing else can. He is stinkey, snores and vies for space on our bed.

His alternate name is pillow puppy. Never saw a creature that sleepy and lazy.

He loves other animals however. I think he knows the rabbits by name in our yard that eat my plants.

Always owned big dogs, and I mean Big! But this little fat boy has been a real keeper.

Kind of surprised no one responded to this thread.

Man, where do I start.......... I have 17 PETS That have to fed and maintained every single day...GRRRRRRRRRRRRR First we have Ceasar, he is my Boss Horse, pain in the butt and offers me 50/50 odds every time I saddle him up..... Then we have Butter, She's the lead mare and biggest pain in the butt.
    Next we have Dixie, shes a mini Mule and property watch dog, she has the personality of any Mega Diva you have ever known. Shes the bestest! We saddle her up when our friends with Young ones come to visit, she really enjoys the work..... Next is Diamond, Shes a Missouri Foxtrot~Paint cross, Also a Pain in butt but a sweetheart at the core. We also have our prides and Joys, 4 Wild Mustangs from the Bureau of land management. Bubba Gus is now offically deadBroke, and has been in many competitions, and Horse shows, Rose and Deigo were worked with last summer and we are able to saddle the both up, This spring summer we plan on riding them, then theres Freedom he is a 2 year old stud colt, The BLM tried snipping him, but apparently missed one. Come spring he can kiss it goodbye....... But I have him completely green broke and ready for training already. I wont get on him this season but will give him the run through on the round pen.

Thats all you get for now, next time ill introduce you to the Dogs, Cats and Goats,

Body...Love the pics! I have been horse crazy since a little girl, but having always lived in a city have never had the opportunity to be around them much. It is wondeful that you adopted from the BLM, I have been reading about and following their work for sometime. It would be such a shame if our wild horses were lost forever. Anyone who loves and cares for animals is #1 in my book. I have absolutely no use for people who mistreat animals, and would like to see the sentences for crimes against animals greatly increased. I am proud mom to 3 cats, and grandma to my son's cat as well. Thanks for sharing, look forward to seeing the rest of your brood.

Aw, ya had to ask.

Amos the cat was a stray in 1994 that wandered into our back yard. Wife started leaving some food out for him, and he came every day. After a few weeks, the back door was open, and he came right in and made himself at home. So what the heck, took him to the vets, got him fixed and all necessary shots, and he became part of our little family for the next 16 years.

Just last Sunday, after a week of crippling illness and blindness, it was back to the vets and then to the great litter box in the sky.

We miss the little guy so much.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Ray, I am so sorry about your beloved cat. As I mentioned above, I have 4 cats, all strays, and cannot imagine losing any of them, although I know that is an inevitable part of pet ownership. We had to put down our 13 year old" Smokey" a couple years ago [[ her ashes are in little velvet bag in our family room ). They add so much to our lives, and you don't even realize to what extent, until they are gone. Well, there are plenty of animals needing good homes, these days more than ever. Maybe when the time is right you can bring a new friend [[ or 2 ) into your lives. My sympathy to you and your wife.

Ray, I am so sorry for your loss. Many times the loss of our pet is harder than the loss of another human [[must be their unconditional love). I had a stark white shepherd, Eddie, who was my shadow. He was there in the hard times and in the good times. It was when his legs proved too much for him that I had to put him down [[2000). It took me a good deal of time to get over him, but in 2005, I figured I was ready. I brought home a yellow lab, Bill. He has been a breath of fresh air [[more like a tornado wrapped in yellow fur). Good Lord, do they calm down? His head is enormous. I swear you could eat your lunch off it. He's larger than most labs [[I think he's a mutant) and thinks he's a lap dog. If you're on a chair, he's on it with you. He is probable the only lab who is afraid of water. He doesn't like his feet wet, but will catch falling snowflakes all day long. [[We should probably think about getting him some help). The love a dog gives is incomparable to anything else in the world. True furry angels.

I am so jealous of you Body, I adore horses and rode all the time as a kid and teen but for some reason in my mid twenties developed allergies. Took shots and can deal with cats and dogs again. Can't go near horses though, it darn near kills me with a reaction so bad I could get hopitalized.

All of my personal pets have been strays or "rescue" animals as people say now.

My favorite pet of all was Matilda, a male english persian. We lived in a heavy rental area in GPP and people moved and just left him outdoors. The cat was stunningly beautiful. So stupid, it couldn't fight it way out of a paper bag. His purpose in life was just to be georgeous.

I am always shocked at peoples callus behavior towards pets. We fed him on the porch for a few days and said what the hell. After adopting him we took him to a female vet and she fell in love with him too and did not even charge us. He lived to be be well over twenty.

Thanks, all. I wouldn't be surprised to see us at the animal shelter this summer to pick out a new family member, but not until after our annual trip back to MI in June. Then we'll see......

RIP Amos, sorry for your loss Ray.
    The majority of our Animals have all been Rescues as well..... For those of you that envy me for the Horses, DONT! LOL they are ALOT of work but I wouldnt have it any other way, Growing up in the city, the closet I ever got to a horse was at the Thanksgiving day Parade. LOL When we decided to move out here, Atalie asked to bring her horse here and i couldnt say NO, now 12 horses later... Im thinking i should have said ummmmm Lets talk about it. LOL
    Honestly though the best thing is that all of our animals free range on our 40 acres,and it truley makes my heart smile every time i look out the window and see a horse looking back at me.

Attachment 5287

Black and some red German Shepherd, with her pal the black and sable tabby [[you cant tell, but yeah he is a ghost stripes tabby).

I'm a softie on all animals. Heard a noise in the garage last summer. Looked about, and discovered a little field mouse got himself trapped in a glass jar. Well, I picked up the jar, walked some distance to a huge vacant field, and sent him merrily on his way.

Great photo, EastDetroit. Love to see a dog and a cat snoozing next to each other!

BB, there is no way I'm going to show my daughters those pics; otherwise they'll be hounding me forever that they each need a horse!
    Sorry about your cat Ray...we had to put down one of our dogs a few yrs back that we'd pick up from the Humane Society here. I'm not a big pet person, but Bruno was a good watchdog & excellent with the kids. We'd had him almost 12yrs to the day we brought him home. We had him cremated so the remains stayed with us.
    Our current lineup are two dogs from the same litter, but look nothing alike: Charlene appears to be a Shepherd/Chow mix, while Jasmine looks like a Yellow Lab/Chow. Elle is the lone cat & since she was raised with the dogs, she almost acts like them at times. Even to the point of growling.

Just curious to know peoples attitude on the Killer Shark incident. That bugger has killed three people now. Personally, I say release him to the wild or kill the beast.

On a happier note, visit friends often who have the most beautiful Doberman. The dogs name is Pepper but mostly people call him Brat. The dog will chew anything he can get his "hands" on. Last visit he got my husbands hat. This visit he kept trying for my purse which I store up too high for him to get to. He is so pretty we all forgive him for his bad behavior.

They are considering returning Tilicum to the wild, but it will take some doing. He has been in captivity for decades. He is an Orca, a kind of dolphin, not a shark.

It is hard to do in such a case, but one must consider all sides. There was trainer error, and sadly it turned into a fatal mistake. The trainer's family insists she would not want him killed.

We humans seem so to enjoy watching someone flirt with danger, ie, working with massive animals that cannot be controlled in case they have a violent episode, tightrope walking, and extreme sports. When something happens, we assign blame. I am not sure where the blamer should fall, but I would not put it on the beast. Maybe on those who held it in captivity where it could cause such harm doing what comes naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Just curious to know peoples attitude on the Killer Shark incident. That bugger has killed three people now. Personally, I say release him to the wild or kill the beast. .
    VERY interesting comment coming from one who obviously loves animals. The whale has not killed three people. It has been involved in three one of which was some drunken idiot who apparently went into the tank area after hours and drowned. The last one according to those who know was caused by the trainer getting too close with her ponytail attracting the whale who then grabbed it and pulled her in to "play". Unfortunately, massive whales don't "play" too gently.

Releasing back to the wild is absolutely out of the question as it's been captive far too long. Killing is absolutely out of the question and should have not even been considered as the whale was just being a whale. Sea World has made the right decision. I do agree that having an animal of that size in captivity just for the use in "shows" is not appropriate.

Sumas, I said exactly the same thing. I am not one who ever likes to see an animal killed, but I think in this instance it should be considered. It is not the orca's fault that he is living in captivity, and the humans responsible for his care should be responsible and either free him to live like the wild animal that is really is, or euthanize him. Not to be cynical, but the people at Sea World might think he is a draw to people who will want to come see the whale that killed 3 people. He is a danger and just doesn't need to be a part of any show there. Ray, I have done much the same thing, rescued mice, had a baby squirrel live in my pet carrier for 2 weeks, till he could be released [[ fell out of a tree and knocked himself silly ) took care of bunch of baby bunnies who mom thought our front lawn was a good place to build a nest, and bottle fed new born kittens. Oh yes, forgot to mention hand feeding a cardinal with a deformed beak who couldn't eat. My husband is always worried about what me and / or our daughter may be caring for next! But he has learned to accept us for the crazies we are!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Personally, I say release him to the wild or kill the beast.
    Personally, I say release him to the wild and kill the beasts who captured him and stuck him in a pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Well, I picked up the jar, walked some distance to a huge vacant field, and sent him merrily on his way.
    Magnificent valor, Ray!

Again people, get your facts correct! The whale did not kill three people. Godamn, we have humans who intentionally kill people and often the worst they get is to be locked up for life. The freakin whale has been LOCKED up for life so let it be and focus on another rant.

LodgeDodger Guest

Sorry about your loss, Ray. Pets are family members.

We don't keep pets, as we both work full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Thanks, all. I wouldn't be surprised to see us at the animal shelter this summer to pick out a new family member, but not until after our annual trip back to MI in June. Then we'll see......
    Sorry for your loss, Ray. I lost my kitty too. She was in her 20th year. I hope you do visit the animal shelter [[I went to a rescue shelter I found on Pet Finders). There's a furson out there that needs you. He'll never top Amos, but he'll be just as grateful. :-)

My lab Carly stalking a beach ball on a frozen creek last week.
    Attachment 5321

She moves in for the kill.

Ray, I feel for you and know exactly how you feel. Maybe your little friend will visit you in your dreams sometime. I had a poodle bichon mix who died a few years ago, Pee Wee was her name. She visits me every once in awhile in my sleep as a happy little dog, still making me smile. We love our dogs like our kids. I have two dogs now, both rescues like all my pets. We also have a puggle [[insert Sumas post here to describe him). He is the reason I am up at 4:30 a.m. Sunday morning! After some extra loud snoring and his fat butt hogging up my leg room I had to get up, good old Captain! What a lover he is, just the nicest little dog anyone can imagine. I also have Skipper, my lab/ridgeback. She is loyal, strong, super smart & very gentle for a 110 pound dog. I can't imagine she would be very gentle if someone decided to harm any of us here though, I wouldn't want to be that person! The snoring has subsided, maybe I can get some more winks in here tonight.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast