Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pets

Hopefully I am not repeating myself. Tail Waggers is a non profit on the westside. They do shots and "fixing" animals free. A friend in Brightmoor told me about this. They also give out free 80 pound bags of dog food. When I get more info I will post it.

The pics of pets are so cool. Must admit the horse pics made me sad. I used to ride but in my 20's I became deathly allergic. Did the shots etc. but still horses, give me bad reactions, love them, can't go near them. I would give anything for a good gallop.

Putz turns 25 this year. This is one old dude. He is so gray/white he looks like a baby seal. Still, vibrant [[as in annoying) the beagle yodel is still strong. He still thinks he is a big dog and has attitude. I think the little shit will out live me.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Had to put down my beloved black lab Carly in Nov/2011, she had a mast cell tumor that wouldn't stop growing. Went for 6 months without a dog, it was horrible. The house seemed empty and sad. Got a new black lab pup, Lily Blue, in May/2012 and the house is joyous once again. Took her for a swim in lake Erie yesterday at Luna Pier.Attachment 20301
    That's a nice looking dog.

Attachment 20634

This is Janie our 4th retired greyhound. She's doing what greyhounds do best. That's why they're the 45 mph couch potatoes.

This is my little buddy Pete he was the best. I miss the greetings at the door sometimes double slobber greetings. Pete passed in march. Love you Pete.

He looks like an awesome buddy; sorry he had to say goodbye.

I have three dogs who have all trained each other in bad habits. The digging one is driving me nuts.

WHY DO THEY KEEP DIGGING IN THE SAME SPOTS!

I have given up on a pretty backyard for this reason. But this one spot is a danger as it is just off my back porch. I have bricked it over, put wire grill down, tried heavy cement planters, even plywood boards, nothing works.

Ideas anyone?????

We had a Scottypoo way back when, loved that dog. She wasn't the brightest, but what a goodhearted sweet little dog. She also did just about what she wanted, the trick was to make her want to do what we wanted.

I adore all my dogs, even the one that is not mine. They are great company and give such love.

Not doing pets at this time, but I just adore pugs. Pete looks like a grand buddy of a doggey.

We have no household pets but we regard all the local wildlife as pets and feed them regularly. We have a wide variety which indicates a healthy ecology.

Lately I've been monitoring a tiny, unusually energetic squirrel. I don't think it's a baby. It must be a runt mutation or something but it seems healthy. I've never seen a squirrel run that fast. He never slows down. He chases all the larger squirrels away from his walnut tree. They're all afraid of him. He has seven walnuts neatly lined up on top of a low branch and he protects them fiercely. Just now I watched him carry four loads of freshly plucked grass up to a higher branch. He's already building a nest for the winter. You go little guy!

Ive heard the higher squirrels build their nest the harder the winter. Do you have anything to go by from past years Jimaz?

Jimaz, your little guy might just be adjidamo, a red squirrel. They are tiny and seem to move in stop action from place to place. One second they are here, next, without seeming to move, they are there. They are most common to the woods but we have a few around here now and then as we have many mature trees. They are very aggressive little guys and will try to chase other squirrels away.

These two seem to be getting along fine. See how much smaller the red squirrel is than the black one.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-01-13 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Ive heard the higher squirrels build their nest the harder the winter. Do you have anything to go by from past years Jimaz?
    No, but I've only lived here seven years so I'm still a greenhorn. I just now saw a woodchuck/groundhog out there! Yea!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Jimaz, your little guy might just be adjidamo, a red squirrel....
    Possibly, but it's even smaller and gray with a white belly. It's definitely not a chipmunk. We get those too.

It's so funny to watch this tiny little thing bravely chasing larger squirrels off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    We have no household pets but we regard all the local wildlife as pets and feed them regularly. We have a wide variety which indicates a healthy ecology.

Lately I've been monitoring a tiny, unusually energetic squirrel. I don't think it's a baby. It must be a runt mutation or something but it seems healthy. I've never seen a squirrel run that fast. He never slows down. He chases all the larger squirrels away from his walnut tree. They're all afraid of him. He has seven walnuts neatly lined up on top of a low branch and he protects them fiercely. Just now I watched him carry four loads of freshly plucked grass up to a higher branch. He's already building a nest for the winter. You go little guy!
    Squirrels of New Mexico. Click on the picture for a description. Maybe your little guy is one of these.
    http://www.rso.cornell.edu/squirrelc.../states/NM.htm

Our dogs killed an opossum the other night and it was a big sucker too. It was a wake up call to me to get their shots taken care of. I am sure we will look a little silly with three dogs in the back seat. Our two, love car rides but the pit has been in a car once. Told the actual owner you are coming too in case she freaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Squirrels of New Mexico....
    Oh. Um, despite the AZ in my name, I moved to Michigan seven years ago. This is a Michigan squirrel.

I wish I could find my camera. It looks just like a black squirrel only very small and gray.

And I just now saw the groundhog again.

I tell ya. It's a zoo around here.

Great time at Belle Isle beach last Saturday, just perfect. Hope I can still take my pup for a swim after the state takes over.Name:  IMG_0239.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  32.1 KB

Lily Blue practicing her water marks with the Detroit Yacht Club in the background.Name:  Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 6.13.53 PM.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  33.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

I should have been updating this peculiar story.

We named this tiny squirrel "Halfpint." I thought he was gray but in better light I noticed that he was brown. He's smaller than the small black squirrels in the area.

He would gnaw one side of the soft walnut husk into a flat facet. This kept the walnuts from rolling off the top of the branch where he lined them up. [[I'm not making this up. This little animal is scarey smart.)

A few months ago I saw what I thought was Halfpint over half mile south of here. Sure enough he was chasing a larger squirrel around. He's so distinctive that I assumed it was the exact same squirrel. But no, the next day I saw Halfpint in our yard again. So there must be at least two of these tiny hellions in the area. It must be a new [[to the area) species.

As winter approached, I watched him shuttle all his walnuts into our garage though a hole under the door. The hole is too tiny for preditors or other squirrels so he's safe. He could barely fit the walnuts [[with husks) through it. He also found a second escape hole at the other end of the door.

I know he built a nest in the garage attic because there was a pile of gnawed insulation on top of the snowblower this year. Once I heard his walnuts rattling around up there and I found one on top of the car parked below. I have no idea how he gets up there. I don't believe he could climb the ladder.

What a strange little critter he is!

Entered my dog in her first Ultimate Air Dogs competition last weekend in Howell. She had a jump of 19 1/2 ft which is unreal for a first timer. She bypassed the first three divisions and competed in the Senior Elite division where she made the finals and placed third. The world record is 29 ft. With some practice and new techniques I picked up I think she can get there.Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  49.0 KB Former Tigers pitcher Milt Wilcox is the owner/operator of Ultimate Air Dogs.

Very impressive on the jumping. My dogs have zero talent except for destruction.

Sumas, I bet Turkey Loaf would make a good splash falling into the water though.

The great thing about Ultimate Air Dogs is any dog can jump as long as they can swim. There were many breeds and sizes of dogs there. Saw a dog missing a front leg jump about 3 ft and swim to the ramp and walk out of the pool. Incredible, and he got a huge round of applause from the crowd. There was a 13 1/2 year old yellow lab that jumped about ten ft and had no problem walking up the stairs to the dock. Great way for people to interact with their dogs and so fun to watch.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast