Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The highest valued million dollar plus house in Detroit??

That's an easy one....

5510 Woodward Ave..... otherwise known as the Hecker-Smiley Mansion... at nearly 21,000 sq. ft. [[with a 5,700 sq. ft. carriage house) currently the residence of Charfoos & Christiansen Law Firm. But it's up for sale... and the asking price is several million [[can't find the sale listing)....

http://www.michbar.org/journal/pdf/pdf4article359.pdf
    Christensen

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The highest valued million dollar plus house in Detroit??

That's an easy one....

5510 Woodward Ave..... otherwise known as the Hecker-Smiley Mansion... at nearly 21,000 sq. ft. [[with a 5,700 sq. ft. carriage house) currently the residence of Charfoos & Christiansen Law Firm. But it's up for sale... and the asking price is several million [[can't find the sale listing)....

http://www.michbar.org/journal/pdf/pdf4article359.pdf

don't think that would be considered residential anymore, the high price tag is probably for commercial aspects......

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Christensen
    Figures.... Christiansen is the name of the family that owns LEGO Inc. Both Danish... Christensen is [[or was) the Danish Consul General, thus making the building the Danish Consulate as well as a law firm. One year [[back in the 90s) they wanted me to do a LEGO display at the mansion for Christmas... but I didn't have the time with both parents ailing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    don't think that would be considered residential anymore, the high price tag is probably for commercial aspects......
    That's true... and Woodward Ave. frontage adds to the value.

The law firm has kept the home pretty much intact... it could revert back to residential relatively easily [[but hardly likely)... except the basement and carriage house were renovated for office use... and I'm not sure about the 3rd floor.....

The Indian battle was the Fox Creek Massacre. I consider that land from Connor Creek to Fox Creek sacred land. The land looks after itself. All development projects have failed and will continue to fail]

You may want to get your facts straight, the state marker for the battle happens to be east of fox creek on Windmill Pointe. Funny thing I think that area has done quite well for itself over the years.

ooooooh, too funny.

p69, my theory is that GP fought to have the Fox Indian Massacre historic marker on their side of things so that way if it ever became a popular spot for historians to look at, they'd be turned away if they didn't possess a prized Grosse Pointe resident's pass that would allow them to view it. *tongue only halfway in cheek; I won't put anything past GP city regulations aimed at keeping "outsiders" away from their precious streets*

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    p69, my theory is that GP fought to have the Fox Indian Massacre historic marker on their side of things so that way if it ever became a popular spot for historians to look at, they'd be turned away if they didn't possess a prized Grosse Pointe resident's pass that would allow them to view it. *tongue only halfway in cheek; I won't put anything past GP city regulations aimed at keeping "outsiders" away from their precious streets*
    The only things that "outsiders," as you put it, are kept out of are the residents only city parks which are entirely funded by city tax dollars paid by the residents. Anybody, resident or not, is free to drive the "precious streets" as you call them.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The only things that "outsiders," as you put it, are kept out of are the residents only city parks which are entirely funded by city tax dollars paid by the residents. Anybody, resident or not, is free to drive the "precious streets" as you call them.
    Well, to be fair, they are slightly controversial in that they benefit from not being taxed [[like a public park) but they are not open to the "public". Someone took that to the Mich Supreme court a while back. Obviously the GPs [[and its not just the GPs that have these..St Clair Shores comes to mind) won.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, to be fair, they are slightly controversial in that they benefit from not being taxed [[like a public park) but they are not open to the "public". Someone took that to the Mich Supreme court a while back. Obviously the GPs [[and its not just the GPs that have these..St Clair Shores comes to mind) won.

I believe that in the SCS case it was because they were using State money on their parks, whereas the GP parks are funded entirely by local tax dollars.

Regardless, what purpose does it serve to force local parks that are beautifully maintained by local residents that care to be open to the public, attracting people that could give a crap. This doesn't make the crappy parks any better, only serves to make the nice parks crappy...... thats what Metro parks are for - everyone....

We go to our local parks to socialize with other residents we chose to live around, to have our kids play with other kids in their schools that we chose to support with our tax dollars and time....

wintersmommy, I was a guest at a party during the holidays at 1500 Seminole. The hosts [[who shall remain nameless) were incredibly gracious, and every inch of the home looked lovely and impeccably maintained. The pictures don't even do it justice.

So when are you putting your offer in? *smile*

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    ooooooh, too funny.
    My choice for "Best First Post"!
    __________________________________________________ ______________

I have no problem with GP keeping their parks open to resident's only. They pay the taxes and, as far as the land being tax free, only their city looses money.

The lawsuit a few years back, I think only included Grosse Pointe Shores,m because their park is actually in St. Clair Shores.

Buddy of mine has a house a few doors down from the Manoogian. He was askin 1.2 but that was five yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    wintersmommy, I was a guest at a party during the holidays at 1500 Seminole. The hosts [[who shall remain nameless) were incredibly gracious, and every inch of the home looked lovely and impeccably maintained. The pictures don't even do it justice.

So when are you putting your offer in? *smile*
    ohh i need a few more promotions at work before I am in the same league as that house ....i wonder if that house will wait for me? Surely if its stood this long it can hang on for another 15 or so years LOL

I would need 17 more promotions at work to buy that house. In the meantime, I volunteer on several of the historic house tours in Detroit, and get my fix that way. You can buy tickets, and support these wonderful neighborhoods and help their fundraising efforts.

What about the house in Palmer Woods once owned by the archdiocese [[sold to John Salley)? I wonder what that house is valued at.

And speaking of Palmer Woods, I know the owners of the Frank Lloyd Wright home have spent well over $1M in purchase and renovation costs. But not for sale again anytime soon...

LodgeDodger Guest

I would need 17 more promotions at work to buy that house. In the meantime, I volunteer on several of the historic house tours in Detroit, and get my fix that way. You can buy tickets, and support these wonderful neighborhoods and help their fundraising efforts.

What about the house in Palmer Woods once owned by the archdiocese [[sold to John Salley)? I wonder what that house is valued at.

And speaking of Palmer Woods, I know the owners of the Frank Lloyd Wright home have spent well over $1M in purchase and renovation costs. But not for sale again anytime soon...
    There's a special place in heaven for those guys. That's one of my favorite homes in the city.

There's a special place in heaven for those guys. That's one of my favorite homes in the city.
    Even without the purchase of the Turkel House, there is definately a place in heaven for them. They are very civic-minded and generous to causes they support. Active members of the community, and I am grateful they chose to rescue that particular house.

I heard when Frank Lloyd Wright was asked about Detroit, and he answered something along the lines of, "I think they should tear the place down and start over."

but dont ever let them get married as that would be an affront to the lord our god.

A million dollar house in Detroit. The supercondo at the Book Cadillac Hotel is the ONLY one that the owner brought. The rest of the homes is from a price a bag of doritos corn chips to a price of a VCR.

Frank Lloyd Wright produced some stunning architecture, but his houses and buildings don't hold up too well in the durability and maintenance end of things. He designed most of the Florida Southern University campus and they have had to do major renovations as the place was falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Frank Lloyd Wright produced some stunning architecture, but his houses and buildings don't hold up too well in the durability and maintenance end of things. He designed most of the Florida Southern University campus and they have had to do major renovations as the place was falling apart.
    You are so Wright

Not to mention, geographic location wasn't always taken into account. The Turkel House has a flat roof, not appropriate for Michigan winters.

I heard when Frank Lloyd Wright was asked about Detroit, and he answered something along the lines of, "I think they should tear the place down and start over."
    The city or the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    The city or the house?
    The city. He made that statement to the city council during a presentation about his view of urban planning and how to best make Detroit livable. His Broadacre City model was basically designed to empty out the cities and create a massive decentralized suburbia. I would say that 50-60 years of unintentionally following his proposal here in SeM has definitively proved his idea as a failure.
    Last edited by bailey; March-10-10 at 12:02 PM.

Didn't John Salley live in the Fisher Mansion? Was it ever restored after that car dealer burned it down?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The city. He made that statement to the city council during a presentation about his view of urban planning and how to best make Detroit livable. His Broadacre City model was basically designed to empty out the cities and create a massive decentralized suburbia. I would say that 50-60 years of unintentionally following his proposal here in SeM has definitively proved his idea as a failure.
    They have an exhibit in the Guggenheim of his visions for Pittsburgh... I think it was for the Pittsburgh Point Civic Center. It reminded me a lot of the barren feeling in some of Detroit's more unsuccessful urban renewal projects.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast