Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Seeking three-generation automotive family

Hello! I'm writing on behalf of Money magazine. As part of the Assignment Detroit project, the magazine is seeking three generations [[related in some way) who work in the automotive industry. The family gets a money makeover; the magazine gets a great story.

Here's the perfect scenario: First generation worked the assembly line. Second generation is now white collar. Third generation may or may not work for the the auto companies, but they are done with college.

If you know a family like this, let me know! Money would like to interview the family and offer them a full financial review FREE of charge. All three generations would receive no-charge advice from a financial planner about whatever money issues/problems/challenges they have.

One catch: The magazine would publish some of this information in the story about the family.

The goal is to tell the story of Detroit through one family's point of view -- as reflected by the area's connection with the auto industry.

Please let me know if you can help!

Karen Dybis
    karen_dybis@att.net
    [[313) 737-0019

I may fit that bill: Grandfather moved here from Pittsburgh in 1934 to take a job on the assembly line at Rouge. He and his wife had five children. Three of those children worked directly for the Automotives [[GM), two decendents of the children, myself and my cousin work for the automotives, I for a supplier, my cousin for GM.

My maternal Grandfather came from the hills of Kentucky. Worked in the coal mines from 8 until he was thirteen then became a hobo. Came to Detroit for a job. He worked for Hupp and Chalmers Motor cars. During the Depression he sold ice cream at Electric Park at the foot of Belle Isle. He was an inventor of sorts and filed several patents on his inventions. It's doubtful he ever had much education but still had some brains.

Grandma came from Texas to work in an aunts diner when the cattle farm failed due to a freak snow storm. They met and the rest was history. Grandma called him "pork chop" since that is all he ever ordered. My Mom was the first in her family to get a high school degree.

My paternal grandfather came to this country with a dual passport Russian/German. He Had a PHD in Chemistry. Detroit was once a pharmacutical center. His wife, my Grandmother was one of the first women to graduate from U of M.

My dad and his brother both worked for Chrysler. Most of their progeny went on for college degrees. Dad rose to a high level of management. My sister [[now a lawyer) asked him to get us jobs and he said, no way, do I want my kids involved in this industry.

My brother became an engineer and landed at Fords. He is the one you wish to speak to. Third generation.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    My brother became an engineer and landed at Fords.
    Spoken like a true Detroiter.

Not sure what you meant, LD but am very proud of my family history. Detroit provided a great living for a few generations but lacks focus now.

I am aged out now, but hope there is some future for my children here in Michigan.

Nice to say both kids have good jobs [[careers) locally. Just hope they can stick around because I am now ready to be a grandmother. We are caretakers of many old and infirm people and would love to see some new life!

She means the pluralizing of "Fords", it's specific to old Detroit. I also recall my elders refering to some businesses as "Agencies", and one time Gramma told me "pass the Oleo" at dinner time.

Thanks for the clarification. My husband is a Ford [[no s this time) baby. I am a Chrysler baby. Those companies supported us through childhood and sent us to college via our family being employed there.

Am grateful for this. Always own Detroit bred cars. My only diviation was to own a VW beetle, a 1967 model when in college. Worst car I ever owned.

Currently own a Ford and a Dodge. Have to be loyal to those two companies. My cars are getting up in years but their performance is stellar.

PS: my Mom still calls margarine Oleo. Her Dad drove a rusty old Ford, sometimes in bad weather he would pick her up from school. She would be so embarassed cause the car looked so bad. It ran though. My parents didn't meet til much later even though they attended the same school. Dad remembered that car, it must have looked pretty bad.

Stosh Guest

I can count 4 generations of working in the auto industry in my family. If I count stints in an auto supplier, I can count 5... Both blue and white collar.

But that story is not what Money wants..

Your right Stosh, people with kind thoughts or gratitude for what the big three did for us does not a story make.

Just saw this post... My father worked at "Fords" Rouge Plant from 1928-1967, my brother from 1966-2008, and myself from 1976-2008, with my son working a few years at the Rouge steel mill.

Much, much later reply, but interesting- grandpa at Highland Park, came to Detroit with Edward Gray, Ford's chief engineer [[from Riverside Engine in Oil City, who supplied Ford's first power stations at Highland Park)
    Name:  Ford orders Oil City Engines.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  46.2 KB
    The crane way at Highland Park-
    Name:  Higland Park Craneway-sm.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  39.4 KB
    Their home in Highland Park, Stevens Street- the house still stands-
    Name:  Highland Park home small.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  35.9 KB
    Next would be my father at the old Dodge Main plant, 40 years and my brother, started there but at Jefferson now, also about 40 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't know where I fall in this but my father cousin brother and his three ex wives worked for Chevrolet Engineering. Beat that. Go Tech !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I don't know where I fall in this but my father cousin brother and his three ex wives worked for Chevrolet Engineering. Beat that. Go Tech !
    Bigb23...my mother worked in Plant Security at Chevrolet Engineering for 27 years, until 1985. She was responsible for fitting safety glasses and safety shoes for the entire workforce. At that time, she was the only female employee of Plant Security.

My paternal grandfather came to Detroit from the east coast to work at General Motors. My father attended GM's engineering school and worked for Chevrolet Engineering until becoming a machine salesman. My sister worked in the GM Building for their advertising agency, Campbell-Ewald. My maternal uncle worked for GM Research. My step-father worked for Fisher Body. My aunt was secretary to several Chevrolet Engineering Vice Presidents. I worked for many automotive suppliers' sales representatives.

Most everyone has passed now, and I don't know a lot of the family history, so I'm sure there wouldn't be enough to make a story on. But we were definitely an automotive family!

It is so nice to remember when Detroit had a middle class, mostly auto related.Sent 4 of us to college.

Hm, shame this thread is so old.

On my dad's side, one of my great-grandfathers was a draftsman at Ford's, my dad still has hi drafting table. Another great-grand father worked at Highland Park after immigrating here from Poland. My paternal grandfather worked at Grigg's Box & Lumber before the war and Sun Oil postwar. My maternal grandfather moved here from West Viriginia and worked at the Rouge steel mill from the late '60's until he retired about 10 years ago.

Two uncles on my dad's side worked engineering or technical positions at GM and Ford, and my dad is a stamping die designer at GM. I'm the only one in my generation still working in the industry [[trying to finish my BS in mechanical engineering), although there's a sibling and three cousins finishing high school. With that kind of involvement, even among our extended family it's taboo to buy a vehicle not from the Big 3.