NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Nikkis Place-Cadieux and Harper
    First Place-Cadieux and Harper
    High Noon Saloon-E.Warren and Cadieux
    Amvets Post 57-Harper and Allard
    Thank you for the unique list. I take it you are an eastsider? I put in a bid on a house in East English Village so this list is invaluable to me. Are these bars all still operational?

Btw, I despise the Old Shillelagh. It's where girls from the suburbs go to "go to Detroit" - well maybe that's not a bad thing!

Great thread. Detroit has by far the best bar scene of the region, and it goes unrecognized.

Route-the bar list is still good. I grew up in EEV, on Bishop off Mack . We had the house for 52 years. Great neighborhood.
    As for the bars, I just mentioned a few of the ones I still. Go to. There are a lot more. I have gone to a lot of them all over the city. I can mention more that I've been to . It depends on what you are looking for.food,music, atmosphere? Where in EEV are you looking?

Yeah I hate bars with girls

What about Stonehouse?

Cass Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    Thank you for the unique list. I take it you are an eastsider? I put in a bid on a house in East English Village so this list is invaluable to me. Are these bars all still operational?

Btw, I despise the Old Shillelagh. It's where girls from the suburbs go to "go to Detroit" - well maybe that's not a bad thing!

Great thread. Detroit has by far the best bar scene of the region, and it goes unrecognized.
    Who cares if it is where "suburb" people "go to Detroit," what do you expect? It is a pretty popular bar and is well known in the area so if they are unfamiliar with Detroit why wouldn't they go there?

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Who cares if it is where "suburb" people "go to Detroit," what do you expect? It is a pretty popular bar and is well known in the area so if they are unfamiliar with Detroit why wouldn't they go there?
    Defensive much?

They can go wherever they damn please but I find the crowd to be young and chochy. Bro's and Ho's type scene. Not my bag. That's all. Nothing laid back or chill about that place in my opinion. Meathead bouncer once asked me "what I had hidden in my coat" of course nothing. So I don't go there. Is that okay with you?

I find its one of those "Irish" bars that tries too hard to be "Irish". Nothing like a pub I've ever been in. Gaelic League is closer.

PGN: I have a bid on a short sale just south of Warren on Grayton, so anything in walking distance is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    Defensive much?

They can go wherever they damn please but I find the crowd to be young and chochy. Bro's and Ho's type scene. Not my bag. That's all. Nothing laid back or chill about that place in my opinion. Meathead bouncer once asked me "what I had hidden in my coat" of course nothing. So I don't go there. Is that okay with you?

I find its one of those "Irish" bars that tries too hard to be "Irish". Nothing like a pub I've ever been in. Gaelic League is closer.

PGN: I have a bid on a short sale just south of Warren on Grayton, so anything in walking distance is good.
    Haha, it sounds to me like you are the one being defensive. I am just saying I don't think just because suburb girls go to the bar that it is a reason not to go. The points you made in your second post are much more valid. By the way, I am not an advocate for the Old Shillelagh by any means.

Someone asked about the Stonehouse Inn. I would like to know about it myself, like is it open these days? I drove by once this summer and it was closed but it was a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and maybe they would not be open then anyway.

So, Dyes barflies - how about a heads up on the Stonehouse. Okay, please...

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Someone asked about the Stonehouse Inn. I would like to know about it myself, like is it open these days? I drove by once this summer and it was closed but it was a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and maybe they would not be open then anyway.

So, Dyes barflies - how about a heads up on the Stonehouse. Okay, please...
    I heard it was under new ownership, but, alas, have no real information beyond that ...

I searched for Stonehouse Bar and found a web site. But it doesn't give hours. I will have to do another drive-by this winter, I would love to check that place out.

bartock Guest

Alvin's, Union Street, Garden Bowl.

I know before certain concerts, games days, etc., it can be the "Bro's and Ho's" crowd, but I've always liked Town Pump and find it "credible" as far as Detroit bars go [[whatever that means).

Mac's on 3rd re-opened. I was not familiar with it before, but it is a cool place [[and claim to be the only bar in the US to share property with a church).

pgn - curious about the High Noon Saloon as I've driven by a few times. Anybody know anything about the Texas Bar on Kercheval? Looks like a Roadhouse in the middle of the Prarie out there.

Beaubien St Saloon
    Bookies
    Centaur

No one has mentioned the Baltimore, I have only been there once but my friends knew the owner so they were generous with the drinks :P.

High Noon Saloon locks their doors and buzzes you in via a closed circuit camera.

Lots of people from High Noon, are from JY'S , up the street at Lodewyck.Nice crowd.
    Don't know if Texas is still open.

Taking out of towners to the Dakota Inn is always a great time. It is one of the most historic and beautiful restaurant/bars I have ever been in in the US.

http://www.dakota-inn.com/web/pages/home/

Lots of people from High Noon, are from JY'S , up the street at Lodewyck.Nice crowd.
    Don't know if Texas is still open.
    I used to go to JY's years ago when I lived in that neighborhood. What's happening with JY's? Closed for good?

The Texas Bar is a weird scene taken in context of the neighborhood. It's a huge place inside, and there were always only 2 or 3 people sitting at the bar whenever I happened to go there.

Fury13- I might know you from JY's , I used to frequent it alot. Did you go there when it was Petes?

Comet Bar
    Kovacs Bar
    Honest? Johns

My faves are:

Northern Lights
    The Bronx
    The Detroiter
    Woodbridge Pub
    Motor City Brewery
    Traffic Jam and Snug
    Honest John's
    Nemo's

Oh, I forgot Detroit Beer Co.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    I used to go to JY's years ago when I lived in that neighborhood. What's happening with JY's? Closed for good?

The Texas Bar is a weird scene taken in context of the neighborhood. It's a huge place inside, and there were always only 2 or 3 people sitting at the bar whenever I happened to go there.
    Thanks, and thanks to pgn for the information. I sometimes go Jefferson/Connor/Charlevoix to get home and can tell you that there are cars there [[and it does look like it is probably huge inside).

pgn - I may have to check out the High Noon Saloon...especially if the place is Irish-friendly. Not too many of those around [[smiley face, etc.).

Route-High Noon is within walking distance of the house you have a bid on.

Fury13- I might know you from JY's , I used to frequent it alot. Did you go there when it was Petes?
    No, Pete's was before my time. I went there in '98 - '02 or thereabouts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast