Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Oh, and I saw some people working on the new Slow's location on the corner of Cass and Alexandrine. It looked like they were clearing it out, hopefully getting ready to start the renovation.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alley_Cat View Post
    In addition to the FREE chocolate covered strawberry I walked out with $12.94 worth of produce and dessert:
    A bunch of celery [[$1.50), one mango [[75 cents), 2 pears [[@ 35 cents each), one red pepper [[$1.50), one-pound package of strawberries [[$3.00), one-pound package of carrots [[$1.00) and a giant piece of killer cheesecake [[$3.99).
    Point made. I withdraw my snarkiness.

I stopped in around lunch time. Like Alley_Cat said, the selection so far is limited, but they're still stocking the store and are open to suggestions. What they have so far looked great and was reasonably priced. I bought some blueberries today [[$2.75) and will be back next week for a bag of apples and a bowl of chili.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    Point made. I withdraw my snarkiness.
    Hey Dabirch:
    The snarkiness did not go unnoticed. A lot of that goes on with this forum as it does on most others, I guess. I appreciate your withdrawal of the snarkiness that you laid upon my post. Snarkiness withdrawls are almost never given. Nothing personal taken.

Let me know when you can make it to Kim’s and if I’m around I’ll walk over and buy you a piece of that killer cheesecake. Or a Calders Banana or Peach yogurt drink. Is next week good for you? This is a limited time offer!!

This is really good news.... I'm heading over there right now. Hope they take debit card. I rarely carry cash....

Dabirch Guest

Hey Dabirch:
    The snarkiness did not go unnoticed. A lot of that goes on with this forum as it does on most others, I guess. I appreciate your withdrawal of the snarkiness that you laid upon my post. Snarkiness withdrawls are almost never given. Nothing personal taken.

Let me know when you can make it to Kim’s and if I’m around I’ll walk over and buy you a piece of that killer cheesecake. Or a Calders Banana or Peach yogurt drink. Is next week good for you? This is a limited time offer!!
    I appreciate the offer. While I would like to take you up on your offer, I am certain "limited time offer" won't last until mid-february, when I will be back in town.

My original snark was directed at the myriad posters who have hailed the coming of a new business and mourned the loss of an old one, and then expressed that fact that they hadn't been yet, or were there once in 1997, and can't believe they are closing. I look back as recently as the thread about Zacarro's opening [[and the one about it closing) for some pretty good examples.

Glad the neighborhood has some more options, and I am looking forward to checking out the spot when I am home [[and maybe even buying something).

I appreciate the offer. While I would like to take you up on your offer, I am certain "limited time offer" won't last until mid-february, when I will be back in town.

My original snark was directed at the myriad posters who have hailed the coming of a new business and mourned the loss of an old one, and then expressed that fact that they hadn't been yet, or were there once in 1997, and can't believe they are closing. I look back as recently as the thread about Zacarro's opening [[and the one about it closing) for some pretty good examples.

Glad the neighborhood has some more options, and I am looking forward to checking out the spot when I am home [[and maybe even buying something).
    So, you’re an out-of-towner? You said, "when I am home". You’re probably not a snowbird, February is too early for you to come "home". Or, have you fled Detroit like so many others? [[Sorry for the snarkiness in advance).

Dabirch Guest

I find no offense in the snarkiness - I got my share when I made the decision to move 3 years ago. I don't look back. After a decade in mid-town, Indian & West Village, I was ready to move on.

But I do love coming home. I do it 5 or 6 times a year. And I am still deeply involved with the city, on a personal, economic, and professional level. I miss the friends and the faces, and the familiar haunts, but it is 68 degrees here, there is not a cloud in the sky, and I am looking at the ocean from my dining room.

I have not posted much on here since my move, and I am not planning on posting much in the future. I don't have the insight or knowledge about the city that I once had, nor do I wear the rose-coloured glasses that used to be permanently affixed atop my nose. You guys don't need another out of town asshole talking about how a solution is unfixable. So for the most part I will keep quiet. That is unless I see an opportunity to make a joke that is drawing out somebody else's hypoocrisy, or is harmless. I mis-fired at my attempt today.

But hey, I'll see you at Kim's.

I find no offense in the snarkiness - I got my share when I made the decision to move 3 years ago. I don't look back. After a decade in mid-town, Indian & West Village, I was ready to move on.

But I do love coming home. I do it 5 or 6 times a year. And I am still deeply involved with the city, on a personal, economic, and professional level. I miss the friends and the faces, and the familiar haunts, but it is 68 degrees here, there is not a cloud in the sky, and I am looking at the ocean from my dining room.

I have not posted much on here since my move, and I am not planning on posting much in the future. I don't have the insight or knowledge about the city that I once had, nor do I wear the rose-coloured glasses that used to be permanently affixed atop my nose. You guys don't need another out of town asshole talking about how a solution is unfixable. So for the most part I will keep quiet. That is unless I see an opportunity to make a joke that is drawing out somebody else's hypoocrisy, or is harmless. I mis-fired at my attempt today.

But hey, I'll see you at Kim's.
    Don’t stop posting. I’m sure you have plenty of good ideas, thoughts, experiences, etc., that you can share with this group of mostly well meaning individuals. Different perspectives are welcomed and useful.

Nice to read about this business. Great for midtown residents who don't have a car or want to use their car. As great as Eastern Mkt. is, they might not want to go over there multiple times a week. I'm interested to know how much of a premium you all are paying to enjoy this service.

Though there is much more room for growth, I think everyone should take heart in the continued change in midtown, and in the rate of new business startups there and downtown. Though some fail [[see Zaccarro's), the fact that people keep trying is a great sign, and inevitably, some will be long term successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Nice to read about this business. Great for midtown residents who don't have a car or want to use their car. As great as Eastern Mkt. is, they might not want to go over there multiple times a week. I'm interested to know how much of a premium you all are paying to enjoy this service.

Though there is much more room for growth, I think everyone should take heart in the continued change in midtown, and in the rate of new business startups there and downtown. Though some fail [[see Zaccarro's), the fact that people keep trying is a great sign, and inevitably, some will be long term successes.
    I agree, Mackinaw. And just as some businesses fail [[Zaccaro's) and some thrive [[Avalon) in an area, some residents leave, and others perhaps return...

I stopped in there today, very nice. It has a small selection, but I think it will grow as it warms up.

Stromberg2

I went yesterday evening and had a chance to talk with co-owner Hollis who is shown wearing the apron in top photo of one of the posts in this thread. I was really impressed with him and the store. They are still stocking new items but I would say they are off to a great start! And they take Mastercard and Visa!! A plus for those who don't carry cash!

What is misleading is from the street you cannot see the whole store. But once inside you see there's more!

When you come in there is an area to the left with products and produce for sale. Hollis [[an Ann Arbor native) expressed his interest and passion to provide more options for fresh produce and other items for the area. He has front show case that included freshly juiced drinks, home-made boxed salads [[that of course are more healthy than the salads you would get across the street at Micey Ds).

He also had some tempting sweet items the front show case -- can you say cheese cake! On the counter there were soup pots just in time for the cold and he had many shelved items including organic dressings, herbs, honeys etc. I ended up getting a few things including a dense green salad which complimented my Tai carry out I purchased next door. I will be back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I stopped in around lunch time. Like Alley_Cat said, the selection so far is limited, but they're still stocking the store and are open to suggestions. What they have so far looked great and was reasonably priced. I bought some blueberries today [[$2.75) and will be back next week for a bag of apples and a bowl of chili.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-06-10 at 07:54 AM.

Oh, BTW the "to go" salad was great and affordable. Nice and chocked full of dense greens. I nice healthy grab and go, so I will at least know I got some fresh veggies on a hectic day. Go KIMS! I will be back!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-07-10 at 08:12 AM.

There’s a blurb in the "Taste" section of this week’s Metro Times about Kim’s Produce. The good news is they got the address right [[4206 Woodward, south of Bangkok Cuisine, north of Passport Pizza). The bad news is they said that Kim’s moved into the space formerly occupied by Zaccaro’s. We all know that the Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe folks will be moving into Zaccaro’s in May-ish.

Yeah, the blew it saying it had taken over the ex Zaccaro's site...
    There’s a blurb in the "Taste" section of this week’s Metro Times about Kim’s Produce. The good news is they got the address right [[4206 Woodward, south of Bangkok Cuisine, north of Passport Pizza). The bad news is they said that Kim’s moved into the space formerly occupied by Zaccaro’s. We all know that the Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe folks will be moving into Zaccaro’s in May-ish.

Not having seen this thread sooner, I discovered Kim's Produce yesterday, purely by accident and am delighted. I had a couple of errands to run on my lunch hour and walked past the store along my route. It was such a gorgeous day and there was a sign in the window advertising fresh-squeezed lemonade, so in I went! Lucky for me, I actually had the $2 in my pocket [[not at all usual) because the lemonade was delicious and really hit the spot! I didn't really take the time to look around but went away with a menu/brochure and shared it with a co-worker. I will definitely go back, the salads and the cheesecake looked heavenly and are very reasonably priced!

It's a nice place. I need to go there more-and plan to do so. I've had a few salads to go and there were great. Reasonable prices, great customer service. And the cheese cake was "slammin'"Nice people, great location!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmiann View Post
    Not having seen this thread sooner, I discovered Kim's Produce yesterday, purely by accident and am delighted. I had a couple of errands to run on my lunch hour and walked past the store along my route. It was such a gorgeous day and there was a sign in the window advertising fresh-squeezed lemonade, so in I went! Lucky for me, I actually had the $2 in my pocket [[not at all usual) because the lemonade was delicious and really hit the spot! I didn't really take the time to look around but went away with a menu/brochure and shared it with a co-worker. I will definitely go back, the salads and the cheesecake looked heavenly and are very reasonably priced!

DetroitDad Guest

Oh, yes! Kim's does almost everything perfectly, and actually keeps their hours. I shop for all the produce for our offices. The produce is so good, often organic, and local when possible. There are so many problems that we have in our diets, thanks to pesticides. Local produce is supposedly also better for your immune system, building tolerances to the world around you naturally... instead of building tolerance against things in Central and South America.

Anyone know what happened to Kim's Produce? I drove by there the other day and they are gone. Store closed, vacant with a for "Lease" sign hanging up over door way?

I think they are in the Gaurdian building??

I heard they went into the Compuware Building.

They closed that location a few months ago. They announced that they would have a cart in Compuware, but I have also seen them at the Guardian.

I just walked down there from my office at John R. and Mack, having developed a taste over the last couple days for one of their veggie wraps for lunch. I was SO disappointed to find the store empty! My second reaction was a twinge of guilt that I hadn't been over there in several months. Kim & Hollis, wherever you wind up, I wish you well!

So, has anybody seen them in the Guardian or Compuware?

Stromberg2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast