Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It might just be pride in my hometown, but Milford is a great place to call home. Especially if you intend on raising a family. It has a scenic, walkable downtown area with many historic homes and buildings. Also a large selection of bars [[Probably more than we need), restaurants and multiple grocery stores. If you're into the outdoors it's less than 2 miles from Camp Dearborn, Highland Recreation Area, Kensington Metropark and Proud Lake Recreation Area. There's not much in the way of public transportation here, but to be honest I really don't miss anything about taking the bus .

I didn't catch this the first time, but you saw a woman being attacked and lying on the ground for 45 minutes without going to check on her? Perhaps you have spent too much time in Detroit.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-21-10 at 09:48 PM.

Depends on what you are looking for/what you can afford:

If you're looking for a good family community try taking a look at Rochester or Farmington. Both of these communities are quite robust.

If you're looking for a fun place to be single in take a look at Royal Oak or Ferndale -- both of these communities are really getting built up, and have great downtown areas.

If you are looking for a more upper-class place to live, take a look at Birmingham or Grosse Pointe... maybe Bloomfield Hills too [[it's a bit more expensive than the other two I think, though I could be wrong about that). They can be exciting places [[Birmingham has a lot of really great resources, walkable downtown, parks, great restaurants, schools, etc.) but are a bit pricey.

If you're looking for a more secluded atmosphere take a look at Milford/Highland/White Lake... They're not as built up, and parts of them serve as the perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the area. Lots of nature, ability to live on the water affordably, and great outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Hell, leave the US altogether.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey I'm with bearinabox.. Go see the world or get a job teackin English in China... They will hire you if you are a "native speaker".............

Take a look around, where is the largest debtor gonna go..?? Down, down and DOWN!! New Zeeland, Cambodia...It's happenin in s So. E. Asia.... And a real adventure.....

MichMatters Guest

I agree with the person that said if you're seriously going to move from Detroit, you should probably move from the state, altogether. If you're looking for somewhere on a serious upswing, you're not going to find it anywhere in Metro Detroit. If it wasn't clear before, it's been crystal-clear for at least last decade that everyone's in the same ship in the region. Moving to the suburbs wouldn't be finding a lifeboat; nope; you're still just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic, except that you've moved to the stern instead of the bow.

You might give Canton a look to see if it suits your needs. You have the choice of apartments, condos, subdivision or country style home situations. The schools are excellent. You're close to the major expressways and have Ann Arbor close by as an alternative to Detroit. Nearby, Plymouth has an active downtown which residents support and come together for events. This weekend is their Winter Fest with ice carvings lining the streets. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Leave Michigan if you leave Detroit. Fuck the suburbs plain and simple. Go to Chicago or Philly or NYC or San Fran or any city take your pick just not Detroit suburbs!!! And all suburbs for that matter. That lifestyle is unsustainable and ultimately doomed. Go for an unsustainable doomed future, your choice.
    My nomination for the most clueless post of the New Year!!

My suggestions would be Ferndale, Royal Oak, St. Clair Shores, Plymouth, Northville, or western Clinton Twp. You will find a 3-4 minute police response time, little crime, and well maintained properties.

TiC, may I be the first to suggest if you want to leave the city of Detroit, then you can go straight to Hell.

Hell, Michigan, that is.

Not to sound like a troll, but you could look into St. Louis. I've heard great things about the Central West End. Lots of college students, nice architecture, overall affordable. Public transportation isn't fantastic, but it's decent. That also partially hinges on a March initiative on the St. Louis County ballot that would tack on a half-cent sales tax for the county and a quarter-cent [[I think) sales tax on the city residents. The ballot failed in November [[I think 2008), but it didn't fail by much. Hopefully it will pass this time.

You will find some people in the outer suburbs who are terrified of the cities, and perhaps a bit prejudice. Of course, not everyone who lives in the far flung suburbs is like that.

St. Louis city is very small, about 62 square miles. From my understanding, the majority of the city [[mostly the middle and southern parts) is fairly safe. The more dangerous areas will be found on the north side. There are some urban inner ring suburbs, like Webster Groves, Clayton, University City. St. Louis architecture, although we've lost quite a bit, is rather nice. The city has begun to slowly gain population since about 2006, and Downtown has gained 5,000 people in the last 10 years or so. When the Wings come into town, you can come to Scottrade and see them. Though you would rarely see the Tigers, since they are American League. Although, if you wanted to make a weekend out of it, Chicago is about 5 hours away, and Kansas City is about 4 hours away. Both are American league cities.

The schools are not good. Most urbanites who have kids move to the suburbs or put their kids in private school. There are charter and magnet schools, but apparently they are difficult to get into.

I'd hate to see you leave the city that you have lived at for so long, especially when Detroit can use every citizen it has. But if you choose to leave Michigan, St. Louis may be something to look into. Some good neighborhoods, safe areas, low cost of living, less snow in winter [[but a humid summer). As well as some fine architecture, and increased renovations since 1999, though they've mostly come to a halt with the economy the way it is.

No matter what you do, you need to make sure you can make money. I see you're self-employed, but is that dependable? If not, you may need to have a backup plan.

Here's a site about St. Louis architecture. Granted, it covers the north side much more than the south side, and the North Side is more abandoned than most of the south side. But it also explains the Downtown buildings, major buildings we've lost recently, as well as the recently renovated and vacant larger buildings.

http://builtstlouis.net/arch.html

I'm not trying to be a vulture, but it's something to look into if you plan to move. I don't live in St. Louis myself [[I live 150 miles away in a sleepy town right now, but I do love St. Louis and try to visit a few times a year).

Either way, you need to make sure your finances are secure before you move. St. Louis Metro unemployment rate is around 10.3 percent [[about one percent higher than the national average).

No matter where you go, it's difficult to find one perfect place. So you may want to look at a variety of places before you make the decision to move.

Good luck!
    Last edited by LeannaM; January-22-10 at 01:49 AM.

Don't leave the state, we are bleeding too many people already.

I second the Ann Arbor mention.

Check out the Grand Rapids area. Take a few days and go visit the area, the city and 'burbs. I have several friends and biz colleagues living there. They all love it.

smudge pot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Find a place in the City of Rochester [[not Rochester Hills). Some interesting old houses, some newer apartments, and a walkable downtown.
    Nice distinction, Hermod. McMansions are nothing more than former cornfields surrounding a cool old town. I've lived in a R-H Pulte home [[Pulte never met a non-orthogonal angle he didn't like). But the town is sweet, and so is Plymouth, where I grew up. Avoid the McMansions, but by all means, check out the core towns.

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    After 23 years of living in Detroit I think I've had all I can take of the city. If I stay in Michigan what Metro Detroit cities do you all think I should consider moving to?
    Thanks in advance.
    I live in Detroit as well, and have wondered what to do if I felt "driven" out. I understand where you'er coming from.

Other than Hamtramck, which has no good education options, I would leave the state.

The suburbs are all bland and awful in their own special ways. They would be a good place to go if you'd like to die of boredom, or engage in racist tirades with bitter old baby boomers. Really, I do think Ferndale is a nice town, but it speaks volumes about our region when it's the best we have to offer outside of our ghetto, bombed-out urban environment.

People always talk about how "nice the people are" here in Michigan. Really? How? The city is full of hood rats. The suburbs are full of white trash. Everyone is angry and on edge. Race relations are horrible. Education and innovation is not a priority here. The leadership - both parties, all races, city, suburb, and state - all make the Afghani government look good.

I would move to another real city. I'm just being honest here. The city gets me down a lot too. It really isn't a great place, but it's home.

My problem is that I am a single-family home kind of a guy, and that seriously limits my options for safe surroundings in the City of Detroit, even in the nicest neighborhoods. You seem to have your options open. I know a lot of people who have lived for years in Lafayette, 1300, Riverfront, Harbortown, etc. Perhaps those are good options for you to consider? At the very least, people won't be banging on your windows or kicking in your door. You also won't be doomed to the mundane and trivial existence of the suburbs.

In Detroit, you might have to aim your gun at other people, in the suburbs, you feel like turning it on yourself. I don't give a fuck about Coney dogs, I'm a vegarian. I don't own a boat. I don't want a house to maintain Up North. Michigan is a pit and it's no accident that employers and people don't want to live here.

bartock Guest

Yikes, Route29. Cheer up, it's Friday.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I didn't catch this the first time, but you saw a woman being attacked and lying on the ground for 45 minutes without going to check on her? Perhaps you have spent too much time in Detroit.
    My thoughts exactly. Reminded me of the Kitty Genovese incident.[[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese)

I was going to recommend my suburb, but I'd rather have someone like Tigh Croff for a neighbor. [[http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...rglary-suspect)

I'm surprised no one suggested moving to a safer area within Detroit. Aren't there any?

You have to decide for yourself the type of area you'd in which you'd like to reside.The suburbs are fine-don't listen to the naysayers who think all suburbs are boring.[[Besides-we have transportation.We can go to different places to see what they're like.You don't like the cultural attractions of one suburb?Go to another one.)You just need to find one that suits your lifestyle.If you tend toward more urban activities,pick a close in suburb[[e.g.,the Pointes,Royal Oak,Dearborn).If you like more outdoorsy things,go further out[[e.g.,Milford,St.Clair,Lake Orion,AnnArbor/Ypsilanti).If you REALLY like snow removal as a winter hobby/excercise routine by all means try Grand Rapids.
    You didn't indicate in what area of Detroit you live.Is it the inner city or one of the outlying neighborhoods?
    IMHO,I think you're doing the right thing.No sense of living in fear for your and your family's safety and always having to wonder if your home and belongings will be there on a daily basis.It's too bad that conditions in the city have deteriorated to where they have.It would be a great place to live if the city services were better and the property tax rate was in line with reality.Until those two things happen the exodus will,sadly, continue unabated.

Sorry, I don't want to help someone leave Detroit.

I've run into that 911-police-fire department horror story countless times. I came home over a year ago to find my neighbor's door smashed in and most of the windows missing or busted. I pick up the phone book to call my Firehall. Its not listed! I call the police and ask for the number, its not there, they tell me to call 911. I explain, well the damage is done, I just want to know whats going on. I call 911 and get 'call the fire department'. Next morning I go over there to inspect it and see it is very wet inside and it smells funny. I do the best I can to secure the doors to keep out the neighborhood kids then drive to the firehall. They are kind of surprised to see someone walk in, but could not be nicer and tell me that there was a fire and suggested next time I call! When I told them the number is unlisted, they just shake thier heads and hold up thier hands.

Amherstburg

Me too. I'm feeling quite wary of late. I concur with much of what was said above. I'm close to a decade now. Mortgage has me locked in. [[probably underwater by $50k + cash improvements) I have had 2 crimes committed against me in this last year, where the last 9 were crime free. I feel it backsliding. I'm definitely on edge, always looking over my shoulder. I even called the police on a guy moving into his new condo this week because I thought he was stripping the place. I'm also 10 years older.

A couple of weeks back, I posted a question of basically - Where was the closest city to Detroit, in terms of look and feel, but with less of the B.S.? People posted some suggestions like St. Louis, Cincinnati or Chicago. All cool places but St. Louis and Cincinnatti seem to have the same blight and racial problems and Chicago is maybe too yuppified and expensive. I was surprised nobody mentioned Pittsburgh.

Someone should setup a website for this purpose and have people coordinate a mass exodus to a city. Perhaps, we could setup a Detroit neighborhood in a new town and build it up as close to home as we can. You know, a local bar with Detroit sport's memoriablia that has local Detroit games on satellite, and a corner store that sells Sanders, Better Made and Faygo. Maybe a Coney Island? How about detroitnotsomuchanymore.com? Or detroitrefugee.org? Or saynotoanarchy.com?

You could try www.DetroitNO.com...

The poster seems like they've completely lost hope, so they want to "get away" from the problems. But the problems are still there. I'll respect someone who tries to stay and solve them. Consider that the people moving out of the city are those who have in a sense "made it," as in they now or always did have privilages that many in Detroit do not. With the ability to move, a lot of people choose to move out of the city. Do I respect this? No. I don't. I'm not saying their reasons are not justified, or that I don't feel the same frustrations. What I am saying is that you should use your privilage to help the city and its most oppressed people. Otherwise, what are you doing? Falling into line with the "every man for himself" mentality, to the "good guys finish last" mentality, AKA garage rises. Suburbanites are often times worse than outsiders, honesty. Much more likely to be racist, classist, and hold backward ass views on race, class, gender and politics. That is the dynamic in Detroit metro region. We have the most racist, classist, segregated metro region in country if not the world. I'm okay if Michigan bleeds more people, so long as they're not from the city, hopefully some immigrants will replace them. After all, it is suburban political power western Michigan who now have all the political power, and who have pushed Detroit into a corner. "Oh, that problem child in the corner of the state, yeah... let's try to just ignore that." Well mark my words: the chickens will come home to roost! We're tired of being ignored! We're tired of being left out! And we will not take it any longer!

"There comes a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, the people who own it, that unless you're free the machine will be prevented from working at all." - Mario Savio

I want to meet some REAL Detroiters, not those faux people who publish that weekly. I'm gonna start a "FAKE DETROIT WEEKLY" that will cover Detroit-only things.

Casscorridor, you nailed it perfectly. I agree with all the points you make.

There are a number of very nice suburbs in metro Detroit. Grosse Pte is beautiful but very little retail. Wyandotte has a lot going for it including a cute downtown. Allen Park and Dearborn have wonderful residential neighborhoods, Dearborn has thriving business strips. Plymouth and Northville are very popular with many people. I personally don't care for Royal Oak but there is a lot of nightlife there. Troy is boring IMO but I swear almost everything a human being needs is inside their city limits. Livonia is another Troy. I lived in Redford for a year and have to say it impressed me in many ways.

Leaving MI is always an option, it depends on how the economy, weather, crappy roads, etc. effect you. Plus, if you like Michigan why leave? The cost of living is not bad here, the quality of life is often good as well although not right now. I have lived through a few of these awful recessions and sooner or later it will end. but the economic cycles in this state can wear on your psyche. But it is a beautiful state, particularly up north.

First post on DetroitYes!

I just bought a house on Balfour St. in Oak Park in December, I'm digging it so far. I'm on the freeway in about 30 seconds at 696/Coolidge, I can run in the park system they built over/next to the freeway for a few miles miles [[out and back) without getting hit by a car, and it's in the Berkley district. I just wish the house fairy would pick mine up and toss it a couple hundred feet into Huntington Wood$.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast