Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

There's a feature on Red's Park-Inn in the Metro Times this week:

http://www.metrotimes.com/culture/story.asp?id=15003

Years ago while working for MichCon I used to hit a bar at 32nd & Buchanan for lunch.
    I think it was Fridays special was hotdogs steamed in beer were 10 cents, and beer was cheap too.
    Anyone know the name of the place? This would've been in the early to mid 1970's.

Default Stempien's Sidestreet Lounge

As of today, Stempien's is still open. My brother Ken is the third generation owner of the bar [[lounge). Our grandfather John was the 1st owner [[Stempien's Bar), followed by my dad Stan & my uncle Adam [[Stempien Bros. Bar), then by my dad alone [[Stempien's Sidestreet Lounge) and then my brother Ken. The bar has been in existence for nearly a century.
    I [[nickname Sonny), was born and raised in Detroit in 1938, attended Our Lady Queen of Angels church and grade school, University of Detroit High School and College, and moved to Ft. Lauderdale , FL in 1969. I have many memories of the Michigan/ Livernois area of the Westside of Detroit, including the bars, businesses, softball, bowling, schools, Boy's Club, etc. I plan on sharing my memories of my 30 early years with anyone interested.

Please share them right here!!

Default Random Memories

I lived next door to the bar on Martin, directly across from the OLQA church & school. I actually had to walk all the way to the corner of Martin and Parkwood [[about 30 ft.)to cross the street to go to school, even in the dead of winter lol.The church was in the basement of the school. The large church was built in 1951and I was an alter boy at the groundbreaking ceremony. The home I lived in was originally the rectory of the church when the parish was formed. I remember the church bells ringing every day at 8 AM, noon, & 6 PM. Also, they rang at funerals & weddings. Where the church now stands was a large field where softball and blooper ball games were played. To the north side of the field was a large lumber yard which later burned down. To the south side of the school was the convent, with apple & cherry trees at the back.Summertime found a group of us kids picking the fruit for the nuns and eating the fresh baked pies in payment for our tree climbing. South of convent was a small field used for football, baseball, marbles etc by the neighborhood kids. The nuns did have a few broken windows from the baseballs!
    Most of the bars on the westside had softball and/or blooper ball teams in those days. I remember some of the league names were the West Detroiter league, the PRCU league and the West Side Courier league. League highlights and standings were covered by the West Side Courier along with bowling scores of the bowling teams in the league sponsored by the paper Enough for today!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about the Kress Lounge. Apparently now it's a parking lot.
    My Aunt Helen was a longtime barmaid there.

Default More memories

Quote Originally Posted by stan300 View Post
    I lived next door to the bar on Martin, directly across from the OLQA church & school. I actually had to walk all the way to the corner of Martin and Parkwood [[about 30 ft.)to cross the street to go to school, even in the dead of winter lol.The church was in the basement of the school. The large church was built in 1951and I was an alter boy at the groundbreaking ceremony. The home I lived in was originally the rectory of the church when the parish was formed. I remember the church bells ringing every day at 8 AM, noon, & 6 PM. Also, they rang at funerals & weddings. Where the church now stands was a large field where softball and blooper ball games were played. To the north side of the field was a large lumber yard which later burned down. To the south side of the school was the convent, with apple & cherry trees at the back.Summertime found a group of us kids picking the fruit for the nuns and eating the fresh baked pies in payment for our tree climbing. South of convent was a small field used for football, baseball, marbles etc by the neighborhood kids. The nuns did have a few broken windows from the baseballs!
    Most of the bars on the westside had softball and/or blooper ball teams in those days. I remember some of the league names were the West Detroiter league, the PRCU league and the West Side Courier league. League highlights and standings were covered by the West Side Courier along with bowling scores of the bowling teams in the league sponsored by the paper Enough for today!
    Mom often took me shopping to Downtown in the 40's. We'd walk down Martin to catch a streetcar at Michigan. The SW corner was Husak Bros. Studebaker, SE was Martin Furniture, with Green Lanes bowling alleys on the third & 4th floors.and Ed's Drug Store next to it. Across Michigan from Husaks was the Teleway, Once on the Streetcar, we passed Mondry Hardware with a pool hall above it, Senate Sweetshop, Senate Theater, Bettermade Potatochip store, Senate & Georges Coney Island, and the Detroit Edison store at Livernois. From there we passed Alcona Recreation [[bowling alley), Kramer Theater, Bud Stempien'sBar, Cadillac plant, and Hall's Recreation at W Grand Blvd. By the smell, we knew we were nearing the slaughter house, the brick roads, Briggs Stadium, "Skid-Row", then Downtown. Shopping took us to Hudsons, Kerns, Crowleys, Greenfields for lunch [[ mine was mashed potatoes & gravy), an icecream sandwich at Neisners 5&dime and chocolat covered marshmallow eggs at Sanders for the trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by former_detroiter82 View Post
    Yes I do remember the Sail in as I used to say sail in crawl out
    Lol...we used to frequent Last Call [[Warrendale area) and it was next to The Hurry Inn....depending which way you came down Warren the signs were welcoming...HURRY INN, LAST CALL or LAST CALL, HURRY INN....such sweet, sweet memories

One of the photos is of a bar called Mother's. There's a building that has to be at least a hundred years old at a small cross street on Mt. Elliott between I-94 and Caniff, a brown brick building that looked like a store or bar with the word Mother's painted on it. Anyone know anything about the building's origins?

Glad to hear your stories about the area Stan, My "Gramps" grew up in that neighborhood. He's around your age.He knew all the bars round there.
    Now I have a name to go along with the bowling alley I have heard about my whole life. Green Lanes above the furniture store. "Gramps" was a pin jumper there and my Mom said she bowled there as a teen.
    Any time I was in the area and needed something from the hardware store it was off to Mondrys, Liked that place.

Chuck_MI Guest

Very good info stan300. Please keep talking. I used to live in the area [[Central/Mcgraw) in the early 1990's.

Stan 300,
    What was the name of the barber college near the Kramer theater? I got many a bad haircut there in my youth. Also, next to the Crystal theater there was a building with a huge animated marching neon drum majorette. What business went on in that building? To my six year old eyes, that was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Glad to hear your stories about the area Stan, My "Gramps" grew up in that neighborhood. He's around your age.He knew all the bars round there.
    Now I have a name to go along with the bowling alley I have heard about my whole life. Green Lanes above the furniture store. "Gramps" was a pin jumper there and my Mom said she bowled there as a teen.
    Any time I was in the area and needed something from the hardware store it was off to Mondrys, Liked that place.
    I set pins there a couple of years when I was a young teen. The pinsetters would take turns setting and bowling free when business was slow. I learned to bowl there and still compete a a high level. To get to the lanes, you climbed a wide set of wooden steps to the 3rd floor where the 1st 8 lanes were. The 2nd set of 8 lanes was on the 3rd floor. There was no bowling in the summer as there was no AC. There were windows on the face of the building overlooking Michigan Ave and the older [[ mostly "winos" ) would sit a the open windows when business was slow and the weather was hot. Learned to play pinochle from the older guys [[ it cost
    money to learn, LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Years ago while working for MichCon I used to hit a bar at 32nd & Buchanan for lunch.
    I think it was Fridays special was hotdogs steamed in beer were 10 cents, and beer was cheap too.
    Anyone know the name of the place? This would've been in the early to mid 1970's.
    Don't recall the name, however I can see the building in my memory. There was an enclosed [[nice cement structure) patio in the back during the 50's and 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Stan 300,
    What was the name of the barber college near the Kramer theater? I got many a bad haircut there in my youth. Also, next to the Crystal theater there was a building with a huge animated marching neon drum majorette. What business went on in that building? To my six year old eyes, that was the coolest thing I had ever seen.
    I don't remember the barber college. I had forgotten about the Crystal where it used to cost kids 3 cents to go in. Spent almost every Saturday afternoon at the Senate [[ 7 cent admission ) the see 2 features, a serial, a comedy short, and 7 or 8 cartoons. Mom got rid of us for a quiet afternoon. Don't remember the drum majorette. Other theaters In the area I remember were the Imperial and the Chopin [[mostly Polish /foreign movies).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_MI View Post
    Very good info stan300. Please keep talking. I used to live in the area [[Central/Mcgraw) in the early 1990's.
    Married a girl from Sprngiwells & McGraw at St Cunegunda Church in 1960.

You're probably thinking about the Detroit Barber College which was next to the Kramer Theather. They closed sometime in the 70's and moved to Dearborn on Michigan Ave [[west of Schaefer). I don't think they are there anymore.

BTW, anyone remember a barber shop on Michigan called Sgt. Russ?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It could be around here, but it's really 'Showpan' if that's what you're asking.
    I always heard it pronounced the same as above, but with a C rather than an S.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Rag View Post
    I went to the Franko Bar one Saturday afternoon after the market. It was in a house right in the middle of the block on St. John between Martin & Apple. The front door was locked and as I started to walk away, this old dude comes running from across the street saying "I got the key". We went in and had a great time. Bing's aerial map shows it torn down, and Google's street view is what my vision looked like after I left. There was also Tony Michno's place. Actually, his dad's place, Michno's, on Central by Waldo. I don't think they ever had an ice machine in it before they closed.
    When I was 11 or 12, I helped Marty the milkman deliver milk and dairy products for the Central Creamery. We would meet at 5AM at the Teleway where I would have a couple of their sliders for breakfast while Marty would be trying to get rid of his hangover with his black coffee. About 7AM, we would stop at Franko's for his "breakfast" while I waited in his truck [[ actually the truck was a horse drawn truck body the 1st year I worked with him) It sure was cold waiting for him to finish his "breakfast" in the winter. He never seemed cold after his intake of antifreeze in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by stan300 View Post
    I set pins there a couple of years when I was a young teen. The pinsetters would take turns setting and bowling free when business was slow. I learned to bowl there and still compete a a high level. To get to the lanes, you climbed a wide set of wooden steps to the 3rd floor where the 1st 8 lanes were. The 2nd set of 8 lanes was on the 3rd floor. There was no bowling in the summer as there was no AC. There were windows on the face of the building overlooking Michigan Ave and the older [[ mostly "winos" ) would sit a the open windows when business was slow and the weather was hot. Learned to play pinochle from the older guys [[ it cost
    money to learn, LOL)
    Green Lanes served no liquor or beer, only "pop". Cost to bowl a line [[game) was 30 cents, pinsetters got 10 cents a line. A couple of years later a line was 35 cents [[3 lines for a $1), pinsetters were raised to 12.5 cents a line.

Thank you, stan300, it's always nice to be hear the details of life in different parts of Detroit.

Does anyone remember the Kiss Bar? I remember it as Vincent's Kiss Bar. I remember a nifty animated neon sign on it. I can't recall the exact location.

Oh... and what was the name of the Go-Go bar on Michigan and ... Oakman? Circa 1965. Northwest corner, I'm sure... I think.
    Last edited by goggomobil; May-30-10 at 07:25 PM.

Default Ok, I gotta contribute

This strip between Livernois and Wyoming became one of my favorite areas back in the late '70's. My friend and I used to roam these streets with regularity. We became sort of regulars at some of the gentlemen's clubs such as Golddiggers, the Pompeii Lounge, 52 Street Show Bar and Islands. Also went to some of the neighborhood places like Cas Bar and the Atomic Bar. Finally, the owner of the Knight's Inn used to open early on Sunday's for the softball team my Dad played on that would go there after morning games. Had a lot of fun in those times.

I see that Dirty Harry's has been "upgraded" to a place called Starvin Marvins. Is this any relation to the old Starvin Marvins that used to be in Southgate? Has anyone been to this place since the remodeling? I'd like to hear a review.

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    This strip between Livernois and Wyoming became one of my favorite areas back in the late '70's. My friend and I used to roam these streets with regularity. We became sort of regulars at some of the gentlemen's clubs such as Golddiggers, the Pompeii Lounge, 52 Street Show Bar and Islands. Also went to some of the neighborhood places like Cas Bar and the Atomic Bar. Finally, the owner of the Knight's Inn used to open early on Sunday's for the softball team my Dad played on that would go there after morning games. Had a lot of fun in those times.

I see that Dirty Harry's has been "upgraded" to a place called Starvin Marvins. Is this any relation to the old Starvin Marvins that used to be in Southgate? Has anyone been to this place since the remodeling? I'd like to hear a review.
    I left Detroit in 69' and only recognize one of my favorite haunts, the 52nd Showbar. I played softball for the 52nd in the mid 60's along with "Big" Al, the owner and Bill Hinaris of the Senate Coney Island. The hamburgers were great and the dancers [[topless) were even better. I worked down Central near Waldo at Kramer Bros. Freight and went to the 52nd often for lunch, after work and after ballgames. Maybe that's why I don't have a 1st wife now.

Quote Originally Posted by caspermi View Post
    You're probably thinking about the Detroit Barber College which was next to the Kramer Theather. They closed sometime in the 70's and moved to Dearborn on Michigan Ave [[west of Schaefer). I don't think they are there anymore.
    My dad took me and my two brothers to the Detroit Barber College often for haircuts when I was a kid, even though my family wasn't from that neighborhood. "Bad" haircuts? Yeah, probably... but a kid crew cut for the summer was probably hard for those barber students to mess up too much.

Default Boys Club, the Bloomer Building

My favorite place as a boy, a teen, and as an adult was "the boys club". I spent most of my spare time as a youth at the club and I feel that it contributed to keeping me out of trouble on the streets. I lived at Parkwood & Martin and walked to the club almost every day. Imagine nowadays allowing a 7 year old to walk 2 blocks to Edward, 4 blocks to Livernois, cross Livernois at the light and then another block to the club himself or with a couple of other 7 yr olds! Never happen today. To get to the club I passed Bozek Bros. Funeral Home at Martin & Edward and Al's Party Store at Edward & Cicotte and the Michigan Bell Store At Michigan & Livernois. I joined the club at 7 yrs old in 1946 and remained a member until I was 29 and moved to FL. It cost .twenty five cents to become a "midget" [[later a cadet) for a year. I progressed at 10 to a junior [[50 cents), at 13 to intermediate [[75 cents), at 16 to senior [[$1.25), and Alumni at 19 [[$3.00). As I grew older I became Junior Staff, working 1st in the canteen & then at the membership desk. After High School I became a councilor at the Boys Club Camp at Harson's Island. The club offered an olympic sized swimming pool, a full Gym, a library, print shop, woodworking shop, art instructions, boxing and wrestling ring, weights, baseball and flag football field. Also a game room for the 7 to 12 yr olds, and separate rooms for the intermediates and senior/alumni [[learned to play a wicked game of snooker there). There we met kids from all around our area and competed in basketball, football, swimming, boxing and floor hockey with our own neighborhoods forming teams. St Andrews, Holy Redeemer, Chadsey, St Hedwig, and Our lady Queen of Angels were all competing against each other and we formed some lasting friendships thru the years. More some other day!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast